Scientific Data on Bumping deer and home ranges MUST READ

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Jussbowz
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:59 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Scientific Data on Bumping deer and home ranges MUST READ

Unread postby Jussbowz » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:25 am

I actually found the report but it is actually saved on my computer. I can email to someone if they would like to read it. The study was done between 2013-2015. The student that did the report went to the University of Georgia.


MichiganMike
500 Club
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: Scientific Data on Bumping deer and home ranges MUST READ

Unread postby MichiganMike » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:57 am

Jussbowz wrote:I actually found the report but it is actually saved on my computer. I can email to someone if they would like to read it. The study was done between 2013-2015. The student that did the report went to the University of Georgia.

I would like to check that out if you can get it to me. Thank you!
Jussbowz
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:59 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Scientific Data on Bumping deer and home ranges MUST READ

Unread postby Jussbowz » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:57 am

MichiganMike wrote:
Jussbowz wrote:I actually found the report but it is actually saved on my computer. I can email to someone if they would like to read it. The study was done between 2013-2015. The student that did the report went to the University of Georgia.

I would like to check that out if you can get it to me. Thank you!


What is your email address?
Bowmanmike
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:01 am
Location: Central NY
Status: Offline

Re: Scientific Data on Bumping deer and home ranges MUST READ

Unread postby Bowmanmike » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:53 pm

MichiganMike wrote:Very interesting read on Deer Home Ranges thought I would share. This is hard data from Wildlife researchers and biologists from a hard cover book I received as a gift. I didn't know how else to upload so I screen shot and uploaded that way. I broke the page in two because I couldn't get it all to fit- I Hope it's readable. Like to see everyone's take on this as well. Thanks!
Home Range Map.JPG
Home Range Data.JPG

This is hilarious,i have the same book. I bought it for a few dollars at a thrift shop and was surprised that it actually had some good info. That pic of the home ranges was familiar.
MichiganMike
500 Club
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: Scientific Data on Bumping deer and home ranges MUST READ

Unread postby MichiganMike » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:03 pm

Bowmanmike wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:Very interesting read on Deer Home Ranges thought I would share. This is hard data from Wildlife researchers and biologists from a hard cover book I received as a gift. I didn't know how else to upload so I screen shot and uploaded that way. I broke the page in two because I couldn't get it all to fit- I Hope it's readable. Like to see everyone's take on this as well. Thanks!
Home Range Map.JPG
Home Range Data.JPG

This is hilarious,i have the same book. I bought it for a few dollars at a thrift shop and was surprised that it actually had some good info. That pic of the home ranges was familiar.

Haha That’s awesome! I figured what the hey I’ll check it out. Has some good info for sure. Even makes reference to milkweed for checking wind direction haha
MichiganMike
500 Club
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: Scientific Data on Bumping deer and home ranges MUST READ

Unread postby MichiganMike » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:07 pm

Jussbowz wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:
Jussbowz wrote:I actually found the report but it is actually saved on my computer. I can email to someone if they would like to read it. The study was done between 2013-2015. The student that did the report went to the University of Georgia.

I would like to check that out if you can get it to me. Thank you!


What is your email address?

Mcalkins516@msn.com. Thank you!
Jussbowz
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:59 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Scientific Data on Bumping deer and home ranges MUST READ

Unread postby Jussbowz » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:12 pm

MichiganMike wrote:
Jussbowz wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:
Jussbowz wrote:I actually found the report but it is actually saved on my computer. I can email to someone if they would like to read it. The study was done between 2013-2015. The student that did the report went to the University of Georgia.

I would like to check that out if you can get it to me. Thank you!


What is your email address?

Mcalkins516@msn.com. Thank you!


Sent it to you.
User avatar
Coalcracker
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon May 11, 2020 1:41 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline

Re: Scientific Data on Bumping deer and home ranges MUST READ

Unread postby Coalcracker » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:15 pm

https://www.deer.psu.edu/

Go to this site and search for "buck movement", "home ranges" etc.. Whole slew of radio collared examples and other interesting studies being conducted.

These bucks are all on public land monitored with radio collars.
Shoot Straight
MichiganMike
500 Club
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: Scientific Data on Bumping deer and home ranges MUST READ

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:54 am

Coalcracker wrote:https://www.deer.psu.edu/

Go to this site and search for "buck movement", "home ranges" etc.. Whole slew of radio collared examples and other interesting studies being conducted.

These bucks are all on public land monitored with radio collars.

awesome! Thank you. Ill check it out.
MichiganMike
500 Club
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: Scientific Data on Bumping deer and home ranges MUST READ

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:59 am

I enjoy reading this data and research about whitetail Biology. Though we don't all have to agree on it, it makes for good conversation. It also helps us put that extra piece of the puzzle together of the why and when of whitetail movement and patterns. We take what we talk about and discuss along with the data and research out there- it just gives us that more in the . Its kind of a win-win.
User avatar
Wetfoot
500 Club
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:26 am
Location: Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Scientific Data on Bumping deer and home ranges MUST READ

Unread postby Wetfoot » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:59 am

No absolutes in deer behavior. Summer.and winter ranges in the UP might be as much as 75 miles apart. Deer densities anywhere fro 80 psm to 8.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A5BLASTER, Jackson Marsh, Kraftd, LukeTM, mkelemen, TrendictionBot, westwibuckhunter, WIswampdweller20 and 14 guests