Just pulled the trigger on a saddle

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
stash59

Re: Just pulled the trigger on a saddle

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:47 am

You go girl!!!!! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Sloepoke20

Unread postby Sloepoke20 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:50 am

Huntress13 wrote:Just ordered a Phantom and platform. That's what credit cards are for... Lol. Helium sticks to start with. We'll see how this goes in a couple weeks.

That’s funny! I just ordered the Phantom and Predator platform today also. I’ve never hunted or even been in a saddle before. We’ll see how it goes.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:15 am

:dance:

If you get bored in the tree you can carry a really long tether and start swinging around the tree like those rides at a fair.

:shhh: it's a secret but is fun :shifty:
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:19 am

Tennhunter3 wrote::dance:

If you get bored in the tree you can carry a really long tether and start swinging around the tree like those rides at a fair.

:shhh: it's a secret but is fun :shifty:

:lol: i never get bored in the tree.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:38 am

Nice!! ONe piece of advice is it will probably take a while to find your comfort spot. Mess around with bridge length, tether height, etc. It is surprising how much an inch of adjustment can make in comfort.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:44 am

backstraps wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:Just ordered a Phantom and platform. That's what credit cards are for... Lol. Helium sticks to start with. We'll see how this goes in a couple weeks.

Awesome!! I did the same thing
Ive never used a saddle at all.

I am still waiting for mine to arrive. Excited to learn to use it. I have several friends been talking to me over last couple years about how well they enjoy the saddles

I agree with Bigburner, nothing else it will be another tool for its own purposes

Oh btw, I ordered the cruzr xc

Yes....come to the darkside......
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:34 pm

DhD wrote:
backstraps wrote:

Awesome!! I did the same thing
Ive never used a saddle at all.

I am still waiting for mine to arrive. Excited to learn to use it. I have several friends been talking to me over last couple years about how well they enjoy the saddles

I agree with Bigburner, nothing else it will be another tool for its own purposes

Oh btw, I ordered the cruzr xc

Yes....come to the darkside......

HaHaHa I was listening to ya Dave
Autiger

Unread postby Autiger » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:34 pm

I started using a saddle last year and now it’s my go to. I’ll admit I was never good with a harness in my climber and hang-on days. Now I’m safely secured at all times. I did an Amsteel rope mod with diy versa on my hawk helium sticks in the off season and today I removed one bottom step and one middle step to cut off more weight. Trophyline/Novix are releasing a new platform on Monday for $189 and I might pick it up due to the extra size and how compact it is when folded down. My ridge runner is great but it tears up stuff with it’s coating and it’s teeth.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:38 pm

Autiger wrote:I started using a saddle last year and now it’s my go to. I’ll admit I was never good with a harness in my climber and hang-on days. Now I’m safely secured at all times. I did an Amsteel rope mod with diy versa on my hawk helium sticks in the off season and today I removed one bottom step and one middle step to cut off more weight. Trophyline/Novix are releasing a new platform on Monday for $189 and I might pick it up due to the extra size and how compact it is when folded down. My ridge runner is great but it tears up stuff with it’s coating and it’s teeth.

Tethrd is coming out with an xl platform as well that is supposed to be 4 lbs with the strap for 189
dannyboy

Unread postby dannyboy » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:45 pm

I did the same this spring huntress. Hunted on and off for years out of the old trophyline but after some practice this spring It's taking me much less time to set up with less bulk and more efficiency. The ropes and ropemans are much better. Can't wait for the fall!
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:59 pm

dannyboy wrote:I did the same this spring huntress. Hunted on and off for years out of the old trophyline but after some practice this spring It's taking me much less time to set up with less bulk and more efficiency. The ropes and ropemans are much better. Can't wait for the fall!

I didn't spring for the ropemans yet. Figured I would see if I'm going to be able to do it first before sinking more money into it. But I can see that would be a nice upgrade and probably next on the list.

And I was so surprised I got shipping notice same day I ordered. So probably be trying it out at ground level this coming week long before the sticks arrive.
MNarrow

Unread postby MNarrow » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:33 am

My first saddle just got shipped yesterday....Cruzr XC. I hope it pairs good with my Tethrd Predator!
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:28 am

Huntress13 wrote:
dannyboy wrote:I did the same this spring huntress. Hunted on and off for years out of the old trophyline but after some practice this spring It's taking me much less time to set up with less bulk and more efficiency. The ropes and ropemans are much better. Can't wait for the fall!

I didn't spring for the ropemans yet. Figured I would see if I'm going to be able to do it first before sinking more money into it. But I can see that would be a nice upgrade and probably next on the list.

And I was so surprised I got shipping notice same day I ordered. So probably be trying it out at ground level this coming week long before the sticks arrive.

The Ropeman is really nice upgrade on the Linesman Belt and well worth the money. It is an ok upgrade on the tether in my opinion, but not sure if it is worth the extra cost or not.
RookieBeast2019

Unread postby RookieBeast2019 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:36 am

Looks like their is a new / bigger platform...
Bowmanmike

Unread postby Bowmanmike » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:12 am

That's great huntress. I bought a saddle and platform this spring and have been practicing the climbing and hanging. I am hooked,it is awesome. I used to haul a steel climber around and was less than stealthy with it,too heavy. This saddle setup is great,maybe 10# total for me.
You have the right idea of practicing low and working your way up. I never used sticks or rope before but learned it fairly quick.
I climb either using the DRT method or i use my platform and aiders as a way up the tree. It is both doable for a reasonably fit person. Take your time and practice.
This setup opened up hunting on public land for me,i will be able to scout/stillhunt my way in and then set up.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”