Ground hunting vs cheap stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Matthewkatz
Facebook: matthew R katzmarek

Ground hunting vs cheap stand

Unread postby Matthewkatz » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:36 am

I am a college kid on a pretty tight budget. I have been hunting on the ground since i've started hunting 4 years ago. Only last year I got into beast hunting and have been hiking and wading miles deep in swamps and rolling hills. If I were to get a stand and sticks it would have to be a cheap steel hang on and steel sticks and would weigh probably 50-60 lbs altogether. The public lands I hunt have a rule where you can't leave stands more than 24 hours so I'd have to carry in and carry out. My question is if hunting a treestand is really required to be succesfull or for the time being I can just get out there and hunt beds from the ground? If you were in my situation would you carry in a heavy steel stand every trip or hunt from the ground?

Mike32
500 Club

Re: Ground hunting vs cheap stand

Unread postby Mike32 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:49 am

I would look for some used stands on the cheap and you can get a set of hawk sticks fairly cheap. Hard to say without knowing your budget
Bowtech Revolt X bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:25 am

What could you spend ?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:37 am

In my opinion, confining yourself to ground hunting only could be detrimental in two ways:

1) there’s not enough underbrush to adequately conceal yourself.
2) you might miss buck sightings because of limited visibility.

If you don’t feel that either is that big of an issue for your situation, just keep doing your thing. IMHO a stand and sticks are a must have for certain situations, but idk if I’d be real excited about lugging 50 pounds of noisy metal around. That can be detrimental too.

If you’re not stealthy the odds are against you.
Matthewkatz

Unread postby Matthewkatz » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:52 am

my budget would be about 150-200$ that would include a safety harness since ive never used a a treestand before. I can use permanent stands that are spread around the private I hunt but I like to be mobile. I'm have tempted to use a climbing rope and safety harness setup like how my dad used to use to climb powerpoles when he worked for a treetrimming service. Even if im stuck on the ground im still going to try and get on these deer. its worth a shot.
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:18 am

Buy a sit drag and modify it to use as a saddle. Buy the proper climbing gear attaching ropes. Get some Hawk sticks off Camo fire. Should be able to get it all for under $200. I don’t saddle hunt but have a friend that set up a sit drag as a saddle and he likes it.
Prairie Sasquatch

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:44 am

Look on Craigslist or another local classified for a stand Ive bought at least a dozen for less than $25. Most are heavy duty and I have them set as permanent stands but I bought a muddy I use for mobile hunting that weighs about 15lbs. Sticks can be found as well.

I buy almost everything used and I’m always looking for deals. Most guys like the idea of bow hunting. Many guys quit when they realize how hard it can be so this stuff is almost brand new at 25-50% of new price.
Matthewkatz

Unread postby Matthewkatz » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:49 am

Thanks guys, im leaning a lot towards the DIY tree saddle with the sit drag.
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:53 am

I would much rather hunt from the ground than lug around a cheap steel stand. I actually find myself enjoying hunting from the ground more than I do carrying around a stand and sticks. Usually when I scout, I'll look for trees for a treestand and I'll look for a place for a ground set up. I like the ease of just going out to a spot knowing I don't have to carry a stand out, set it up, tear it down especially if you're limited on time to hunt. There's very few situations I've found so far that I've absolutely needed a treestand to hunt a spot.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:55 am

You could get a used summit for under $200. As stated above hawk sticks are very solid and pretty inexpensive. Where there is a will there is a way. Don't eat for a couple days.... Make your buddies buy beer. I used to pick up pop bottles back in highschool to buy arrows n broadheads. Go cheap but get quality. My summit is about 17 years old.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:55 am

Mike32 wrote:I would look for some used stands on the cheap and you can get a set of hawk sticks fairly cheap. Hard to say without knowing your budget

This.

Look on Craigslist and Facebook.

Wear a harness and don’t skimp on the safety equipment.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
RookieBeast2019

Unread postby RookieBeast2019 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:07 am

I think you have a few options.

Buy used.

Look for a sit and climb.

50-60 pounds isn’t that much assuming you are in good shape. Back in my 20s (assuming your are in your 20s since you are in college) weight was never a problem for me.
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:10 am

I know how it is to be on a tight budget I have been there. I have an original cheap seat that’s in great condition and only weighs 6 lbs I’ll give it to you if you pay shipping. You can probably find a good deal on sticks or just buy you 10 or so screw in steps and do it that way. In my opinion there’s no comparison in ground vs tree if you’re hunting in timber.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:13 am

I would take vabowkill up on that cheap seat-those were good stands. I think ground hunting depends on terrain. I hunted mostly from the ground for years and haven’t killed a good buck from a tree in a long time maybe 10 years. Hunting the steep stuff I hunt I like to sit on the ground hunting above a trail. But hunting below a trail I like a tree and I now use a saddle which is perfect for this. It sounds like the sit drag saddle mod may be a good option for you also.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:52 am

Do what makes you confident man. While I have been utilizing a stand more in the past few seasons, whether it be for more of an observation sit or because of the abnormally high water levels we’ve had the last few years, I don’t feel half as confident in a tree. When I’m on the ground I feel like I’m gonna be releasing an arrow every time. I do use a stand quite a bit this time of year to scout tho.

If you want to be able to see better, get a stand. Get the best, lightweight stand you can afford. Buy once, cry once kinda thing. Cheap stands creak and aren’t comfortable
How bad do you want it?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”