Favorite stool for ground hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Bonedoc

Favorite stool for ground hunting

Unread postby Bonedoc » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:47 am

I am interested in knowing what you all are using to sit comfortably while ground hunting. I’ve tried a few of the tripod stools and they just get uncomfortable after awhile and I find myself squirming a lot. Sitting on the ground limits my shots so much that I don’t think it’s a good option either. I don’t plan on using a ground blind, just against a tree or in a blow down. Thanks.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Favorite stool for ground hunting

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:11 am

I have hunted a lot from the ground. The 5 gallon bucket with a cushioned SWIVEL lid flat out works.

The swivel allows you to cover a wide range of direction without any shifting of your weight or moving your feet. It doesn't sink into soft ground much. Storage for gear inside.
If you get one with a shoulder strap to carry it, that's about as good as it gets. Or diy two straps so you could wear it as a backpack.
Today people are saddle this or saddle that. If I had my bucket with backpack straps, with saddle gear packed inside I would SLAY SOME DEER! Might just do it.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:48 am

I found the cheapo three legged ones the best. They can be very comfortable. Ideally I will have a small but cushion to throw on top of it. I use one from the top of an old barstool. I like to get set up leaning up against a tree just to the right side of it for where I plan on shooting. I sink the back leg in the ground and lean slightly back into the tree. I rest the bottom of my bow on top of my foot and hold it in my hand with the release clipped on. All I have to do is slightly lean forward draw and shoot. I'm good for about four hours like that.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:18 am

I think I have tried about every stool out there, from the Waldrop seat, to 3 leg stools etc. When it comes to the ideal stool, I have yet to find one. those that are nice are too heavy for run and gun hunting, and to me that means anything over 8lbs. Presently I do use the Millenium Tree Seat. with straps on it, I used some XOP pack straps, its on my back, and weighs nothing. I use it in Hill Country, so I have a lot of trees obviously.......

I use just a light seat pad, when sitting in blow downs etc, weighs ounces. To me the ideal stool would be, Adjustable legs from several inches to about 19 inches. It would spin 360 and be dead quiet. It would have a back. the feet would be goose feet style to adjust to the terrain, and it would weigh about 5lbs.

The Hunt More seat was great, but it is heavy. The Waldrop seat, is great, but hard to shoot out of. The Red Head Black out stool is nice, but weighs 9 pounds, and is bulky........

Hope someone here has something, that I never tried,,,,,,,,, I hunt a lot of areas, that other hunters do not get into, because there are no trees, and vision is limited, but I have shot a lot of deer, in the crap holes............
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:13 am

Ive thought about just using my turkey vest this year for late muzzleloader if im not using my tree stand.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:35 am

Call me crazy, but i use one of those big soccer mom chairs. I like to be comfortable. When i shoot, i scoot up on the front edge with just my but touching. When I'm ground hunting, I usually pin myself into a place that they won't see the chair and they literally can't get behind me to get my wind, if they want to get downwind they have to come through me.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:57 am

I do have a double bull chair with a backrest. Small 4 legged folding chair with big round pads on the feet to help prevent sinking.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:04 am

I just stealth stripped a dove stool. If I'm ground hunting I'm usually not sitting in one spot for more than two hours anyway.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:04 am

I got one of these for ground hunting this year. Seems decently comfortable. Haven't played with it too much yet but I will be putting it through its paces pretty hard out in Nebraska this year.

https://www.pack-rabbit.com/product/bun ... ry-hauler/
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:47 am

Waldrop PacSeat for me.

I have back issues and I need something with a decent back so I can be as comfortable as possible. If you aren’t comfortable you are going to fidget and get busted. I also don’t want to be confined to setting up on a tree so the seat has to be able to be free standing.

It’s spendy though.

Bob

https://waldroppacseat.com/
Last edited by Horizontal Hunter on Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:10 pm

I made a DIY hammock seat, DaveT style .

Like this one. Love it.

https://www.fanaticoutdoors.com/product/hammock-seat/
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:14 pm

I have to admit a pale works pretty good although I’ve only done it a few times and it was easy peasy close hunts. I feel taking a pale in deep through nasty thickets would not be to great. I have one of those standard fold in half Camo chairs. Holy hat rack is that thing loud in the brush. Maybe I could stealth strip it..

I used to kneel but last year I did it a few times and found my knees can’t take it anymore.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:25 pm

I like the looks of that Waldrop seat. Looks quality made with great features.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:02 pm

Motivated wrote:I made a DIY hammock seat, DaveT style .

Like this one. Love it.

https://www.fanaticoutdoors.com/product/hammock-seat/

That looks nice never knew they made such a thing. Looks comfortable.
Wolfshead

Unread postby Wolfshead » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:51 pm

I use a couple of things depending on where I’m hunting.
One is a tripod seat and the other I think is usually used for turkey hunting and I got it at gander when it was gander mountain
It is basically two bleacher cushions joined together with straps that hold it at 90 degree Seat angle (or what ever angle will keep you comfortable and supported. You are basically sitting on the ground but it provides a back rest and can be pretty comfortable.
It is light and has a carry strap.

This is similar to mine

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/10204 ... N9EALw_wcB

Try looking at turkey hunting gear it might help

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”