What makes your states beasts crazy?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
jrain904

Re: What makes your states beasts crazy?

Unread postby jrain904 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:16 am

Dewey wrote:I don’t look at anything I deal with here as crazy. If I lived down south the snakes and gators would just be part of the adventure. Too me crazy would be staying home and afraid to enjoy mother nature because of potential dangers.

You got that right. Where other hunters see crazy beasts see opportunity.

NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:38 am

Citidiots, make sure you wear your vest (the kevlar kind) in the southern tier during gun season.

All kidding aside, not much up here. The cold is about it.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:47 am

jrain904 wrote:
Thesouthpaw wrote:Florida wins, but I guess one thing that separates WV from other states is our mountains. It is nothing to have to climb 800-1,000 feet in elevation on a weekend hunt (takes too much time to do after work). We have lots of land with no deer on it, but also lots of deer in small pockets, if that makes sense. Just like anywhere, you can be really successful if you scout, and find the deer. It just takes a lot more physical exertion than other parts of the country I've hunted.

With that being said, I would probably take the mountains over waist deep swamps.

The other state I hunt regularly is WV and you are right, those steep climbs are nothing short of a exhausting chore (especially for this flat lander). That being said I love WV and the deer hunting there has a special place in my heart. I am hunting a bow only county and the deer population is crazy high compared to where I hunt in FL. There are some good bucks there too. A buddy of mine killed a 153" not too many years ago.

Those bow only counties produce some good deer every year. I can imagine there being more deer up here than in Florida.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:21 pm

elk yinzer wrote:Image
Those of us that hunt mountain country face some timber rattlers and copperheads but they are usually asleep by the time the hunting starts getting good. Scouting pre and early in the season can get a little but puckering at times. Other than that nothing too threatening. Dealing with hunting pressure makes me the most crazy. Gets harder and harder every year to get away from.

I've found myself in too many places like that in the picture.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:19 pm

Yeah I’m ok with sub zero late season and some Wolves howling!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:27 pm

Marshbuster89 wrote:Early and late season temps. Thankfully we don’t have the critters that you do :lol:

Amen to that!

I’m not sure it’s too crazy here, or maybe I am and it just seems normal.
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:55 pm

Most of my life is spent in Snake boots or chaps. A strike is rare but happens.
I've had 5 snake strikes out of hundreds of encounters.

5 sounds like alot but really only about 1 in 100 strikes. 1 percent or less. Grew up with a pond and we killed at least 30 a year every year growing up.

Snake boots have saved my life a few times . Got popped by a timber a few years ago leaving woods after a hunt. Stepped over a log and got hit on back of leg. It was early November but warm in the 70s. Irish Setter snake boot. 2018

Copperhead scouting clearcut edge back leg after I stepped over him. Irish Setter snake boot. 2019

Baby Copperhead top foot front yard barefoot. 2003 I think early 2000s.

Black racer right ankle irish setter boots. 2017
It was small and I stepped like directly on it in the leaves. They usually flee away.

Cottonmouth stepped over a hill Crest in a pine thicket hit my right front ankle. I had rocky snake boots on and the venom just bubbled all over the boot and turned the fabric white. 2001. Was hardest strike very surprising terrifying event. Never expected it in a pine thicket of all places.

The south is no joke when it comes to snakes.
I can say the boots do work.

Really weird I been bit the last 3 years.
I hope not 2020.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:39 am

Florida would be rough!

Here in Appalachia we've got plenty of nasty critters. Like bears, coyotes, ticks, bees, chiggers, and venomous snakes. None of those are the most dangerous problem though. We have terrain that a billy goat would struggle with. I'm talking rugged. You can have a bad fall here, and there is no cell service in the holler, just snakes... and the other critters I mentioned.

Still, we don't have 10ft long, man-eating lizards. Be careful out there!
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:35 pm

The lack of hunting pressure? Oh yea...and grizzlies. Grizzlies will kill you :?
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:36 pm

I Got Nothin'!!

Big Foot? Somebody saw one around here. :shock:

Attacking rutted bucks? Had one follow me once. Gotta watch them drag rags.

About all we have to "worry" about is getting between a sow and cubs or maybe a rattler in early season.

All is well in Pa Wilds
Shoot Straight

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”