Inexperienced hunter (& new beast member) in Missouri looking for help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad
500 Club

Inexperienced hunter (& new beast member) in Missouri looking for help

Unread postby Brad » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:52 pm

I am a new hunting beast member, and I am quite inexperienced as a deer hunter. Last year was my first season as a deer hunter, even though I'm really old for just getting started (just turned 46) and I have become pretty much obsessed with it. I live and hunt in Missouri, and I hunt exclusively public land. I am looking for some advice from those who know much better than I do, and specifically hoping to get some advise from others who have been successful hunting public land in Missouri or very similar areas. In MO public land shining/spot lighting is not legal, baiting is not legal, and trail Cameras are not legal. I have cyber scouted (using onx) about 2/3 of the public land throughout Missouri, but can’t really say if I am going about it the right way or not. I’ve had boots on the ground at probably around 12-15 different locations, and a few fairly extensively. Last season I was able to sit in a tree stand about 25-30 times in about 5-6 conservation areas (not same stand locations) and I saw a grand total of ONE buck on public land. I have found a little bit of buck sign in a couple places, but haven’t been able to put enough puzzle pieces together to come up with any definitive plans. What is your thought process pre-season and in-season? How do you determine where to scout/hunt? Are you looking for specific terrain features? Are you targeting specific bucks? If so, how are you finding them without the ability to shine or use cameras? How are you determining where to hunt for bucks? Any help I can get would be appreciated.

Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Re: Inexperienced hunter (& new beast member) in Missouri looking for help

Unread postby Smitty » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:21 pm

On the scouting side of things starting out If you haven’t got dans DVD’s I would highly recommend them if your able too, as far as finding deer and sign they were game changers for me. With not being able to shine and run cameras casual conversation with people can be beneficial example I ran into a bus driver and deer came up now he tells me about good bucks he sees on his route. Spend some time walking transition lines that should put you on the sign and help you to find terrain features you can key in on in other areas too.
Haste makes waste
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:29 pm

I would suggest you should also concentrate on killing does, great experience, and of course the best of table fare. I would contact the MO Bowhunters Association. Might meet some fellow hunters there for info, or they even might have some get togethers. Go to 3d shoots and talk to other bowhunters. Get Dans Videos, they are very good, (except the music, ha ha ha).

Great information on You Tube, books, videos, but boots on the ground is the best. Contact your fish and game, find what they consider the best in public land area, with an over abundance of deer. That way, you will have a good chance at taking a deer. Shoot all the does you can, or of course want.

There are excellent videos on game care, field dressing, etc. I like the Bearded Butchers series..... Another idea is a Mentor hunting program. You are never too old for that, I know a gal in Wis that started bowhunting at 50, and the state had a program and another gal bowhunter, took her out for to get her started.

There is a wealth of good hunters on this site. Better than I ever will be, but I am an old guy now. Just stick with the beast and you will be fine. Good Luck
Primetime

Unread postby Primetime » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:51 pm

Put in application for a managed hunt. You have till the end of July.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:58 pm

Welcome.
Are you going to all of those places? E scouting everything? If so you might be hooked :D

The DVDs are amazing. Terrain types will change things and behavior. My advice is to pick a type to start mastering.
The beast forum is so helpful because when Dan teaches something you can go to the woods with confidence to see it firsthand.
Maybe limit yourself to a few places until you get some more experience. I have spread myself too thin and lots of others have too.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:11 am

It's a marathon, not a sprint. But you are in the right place to learn lots. Definitely get Dan's DVDs, it will answer a lot if your questions in terrain and sign, learning to think about WHY a buck is where he is.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:45 am

I appreciate the responses so far.
I am a big fan of Dan's stuff and have actually watched Dan's dvd's in the off-season last year, and was just saying yesterday that I need to go back and watch them again. They are great without question. I also spend alot of time on youtube, watching as many quality channels I can find (love the hunting public, obviously Dan's stuff, and several others). More recently I have gotten into listening to podcasts like hunting beast, wired to hunt, southern outdoorsmen, truth from the stand, etc.

As far as concentrating on killing does... That helped me get hooked in the first place. Day 2 of bow season last year (my second day ever deer hunting, I was sitting in a stand and had a nice doe browsing in front of me at around 5:30 (still probably 3 hrs of daylight) and I just watched and admired her. She sat at 20 yards broadside and browsed... i watched, turned and broadside again... and the third time she stopped at exactly 20 yards broadside I decided enough was enough and sent one in and out behind both shoulders. She ran off through the line of timber and I heard her drop no more than 25 yards from where I shot her. And that was the moment I was hooked. I haven't stopped thinking about deer hunting since then. I field dressed her, then my brother and I finished the rest of the dissecting back at camp. She was absolutely delicious! I actually passed on a couple of does in the middle of the season because I was in areas that did not allow use of antlerless tags and I didn't want to use my "any deer" tag. My "plan" is to hunt and take does from the places I am able to use doer tags, but when hunting areas that don't allow use of doe tags I am going after bucks only. Luckily I've got a few close spots that I can use doe tags, but i am not confident I could find a buck, so I'll be all about taking does there.

I did get a chance to take a nice buck (grossed 147 3/8 & he's now my profile picture) on opening day of rifle season, on the one day I've ever hunted private land a buddy of mine invited me to that hadn't been hunted at all in the past 2 years. That's actually a pretty funny story in itself... but it was one of those sitting in a tower stand and Mr Big just happened to run by chasing does and stopped at just the right spot for me to get him. I can't say I "hunted" him. It was just the "luck" that many people rely on when gun hunting the rut.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:12 am

[quote="justdirtyfun"]Welcome.
Are you going to all of those places? E scouting everything? If so you might be hooked :D

Yea, I think hooked might be an understatement... my wife calls it "obsessed" ... & I would have to agree Ha!
What part of Missery are you from?
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:52 am

Welcome to the forum, Brad! I too am an "old" adult-onset hunter and still on a steep learning curve. You can't go wrong with what's already been written on this thread. One thing that's help me see more bucks is attempting to put the pieces of the puzzle together by trying to understand the woods (almost exclusively woods) where I hunt as well as understanding the deer and how they use the woods. I'm still messing it up from time to time, but trying to learn from each mess up. My advice is to be in the woods as much as possible (in all seasons) and learn the terrain, food sources, travel corridors and likely bedding areas. It's okay to mess up. Success is built on the foundation of failure. It's definitely a marathon as much as I'd like for it to be a sprint. Good luck to you, and keep us informed on your quest this season!
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:10 am

Welcome neighbor.

Hands down the best MO hunter to take advice from is Bowhunter4life. He doesnt comment often but he has a ton of info posted on here. A true big buck killer. I will try to find time to dig through my bookmarks and find his threads. His bio should be in the 'best tactical threads'.

These tactics work great for me in our state. If youre wanting to learn bedding and see many of them, then the winter will be your best bet for actually gathering many areas of beds. For now id concentrate on assessing pressure, learning new access routes, learning wind/ thermals and practicing your approach / climbing. Also, tracks are very important!!! One track in the hills and timber makes all the difference in the world.

I can write an entire book on here for you of how I go abut things but it will take me some time. Feel free to PM me and ill answer every question you may have. I really enjoy cyber scouting too, youll drive yourself crazy with it though :lol: Also, get your shooting down bc youre about to hammer some big bucks!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:22 am

Your confidence is going to soar this year and your wife isnt going to be happy :D
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:34 am

MOBigBucks Farmland Scouting - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17743

BH4L Bio - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29747

BH4L KZ Thread - viewtopic.php?f=287&t=33506

My Bedding 101 Thread (Missing Pics) - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41564&start=60

Ill try to find all the good ones but if you search the forum and adjust the search settings you will find alot. Both of them guys are great hunters
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:24 am

<DK> wrote:MOBigBucks Farmland Scouting - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17743

BH4L Bio - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29747

BH4L KZ Thread - viewtopic.php?f=287&t=33506

My Bedding 101 Thread (Missing Pics) - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41564&start=60

Ill try to find all the good ones but if you search the forum and adjust the search settings you will find alot. Both of them guys are great hunters

DK, thanks brother, that is alot of great information!!! It should keep me busy for a while. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on bowhunter4life too. Looks like he knows his stuff for sure.
Wolfie417
Facebook: brett wolf

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:45 am

Brad wrote:I am a new hunting beast member, and I am quite inexperienced as a deer hunter. Last year was my first season as a deer hunter, even though I'm really old for just getting started (just turned 46) and I have become pretty much obsessed with it. I live and hunt in Missouri, and I hunt exclusively public land. I am looking for some advice from those who know much better than I do, and specifically hoping to get some advise from others who have been successful hunting public land in Missouri or very similar areas. In MO public land shining/spot lighting is not legal, baiting is not legal, and trail Cameras are not legal. I have cyber scouted (using onx) about 2/3 of the public land throughout Missouri, but can’t really say if I am going about it the right way or not. I’ve had boots on the ground at probably around 12-15 different locations, and a few fairly extensively. Last season I was able to sit in a tree stand about 25-30 times in about 5-6 conservation areas (not same stand locations) and I saw a grand total of ONE buck on public land. I have found a little bit of buck sign in a couple places, but haven’t been able to put enough puzzle pieces together to come up with any definitive plans. What is your thought process pre-season and in-season? How do you determine where to scout/hunt? Are you looking for specific terrain features? Are you targeting specific bucks? If so, how are you finding them without the ability to shine or use cameras? How are you determining where to hunt for bucks? Any help I can get would be appreciated.

Where are you in missouri roughly? I live in Central MO. Shoot me a message and we can chat!
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:12 am

Where are you in missouri roughly? I live in Central MO. Shoot me a message and we can chat![/quote]

I live out in O'Fallon, just west of St Louis area. I'll message you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”