Do all bucks move?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Do all bucks move?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:21 am

In my lifetime I have heard all kinds of crazy stuff which never matched what my eyes saw. But I also don’t hunt with my ears so what are the facts? Do all bucks move? I’m not talking in daylight but at some point of the season during a 24 hr period, don’t they move? In a heavily hunted area with guys running bait piles, hunting funnels, doe groups, crop fields wouldn’t they get pics of such a critter? I find it odd how others have collections of highly controversial public bucks to which nobody else ever lays eyes on. I mean I think how pressured our public is and how many guys run cams/shine/glass etc... how can others not get a single sighting or pic of a buck in it entire life? In my home state more warden tips are solidified by cam pics than anything else.

So is it possible for a guy in the (heaviest hunted public state) to repeatedly tag a monster Sub subspecies Of whitetail nobody else can get a pic of? I don’t think so, and it says a lot to me about a guys character who defends such nonsense. But that’s JMO. The question is are there whitetail bigfoots out there who can shape shift and avoid all human trafficking on both public/private ground?

Eat the donut not the hole!
oldrank

Re: Do all bucks move?

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:35 am

I really don't care what other guys are doing. I do know there are some smoke and mirrors going on to a certain extent with guys promoting themselves as great public land hunters. This has been going on for years in the hunting industry. Some folks search out fame and some leave a trail of burnt bridges to get there. Others let there actions speak for them and the cards fall where they may.

It's not much different than the guy killing his buck on a high fence ranch and displaying it as a wild kill. It is what it is. How many big names fall to a poaching conviction, hunting without tags, killing multiple bucks, dumping carcasses ... Seems like every year some famous guy takes the fall. The pressure to be great scrambles their brains.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:42 am

I think in most areas most big bucks are known about, certainly in areas that do not have vast areas of remote timber. Neighbor sighting, bus drivers, milk haulers, trail cameras...someone has seen him in almost all cases IMO.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:44 am

I will say one more thing. 20 years ago guys hunted public because we were poor and that was the land we had. Today guys hunt public because it the vogue new trend....
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:53 am

oldrank wrote:I will say one more thing. 20 years ago guys hunted public because we were poor and that was the land we had. Today guys hunt public because it the vogue new trend....

I'm seeing that shift happen, I like it.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:15 pm

I can say for a fact there are bucks that go unseen during daylight hours on our lease. Which is hunted hard. I have gotten pictures of bucks over years that seem to be 4.5 or older that never get seen in daylight hours. Do have occasionally 10 in morning or even 3 in afternoon pics,. But, it is only once or twice a whole season. I truly believe older bucks see us more than we see them.
I live to release an arrow and watch woods grow into chaos and then grow quite as a mouse in just seconds.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:15 pm

Grizzlyadam wrote:
oldrank wrote:I will say one more thing. 20 years ago guys hunted public because we were poor and that was the land we had. Today guys hunt public because it the vogue new trend....

I'm seeing that shift happen, I like it.

It has some good things and some bad things. I know The Hunting Public guys had stated in a video there was a state where guys can't film on public.

It's a different world than 1980 or 1990. Every kid in the world's dream is to become a YouTuber. Not a basketball player, not a police man...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:17 pm

LOL... Thats a true statement...

As far as people not knowing about public land bucks? Probably some... I have been on one or two I thought no one new about, but I also have been on a few i "thought" no one was on, and then have them dhow me the sheds or trail cam pics. I have a giant I have been hunting in a very remote swamp for 3 years, never see him shining and he always seems to exit into private... But this year 3 different people showed me trail cam pics of it, and one had multiple years of pics.... In todays world, most public land bucks are on someones camera, or someone has sheds. But, I think an occasional one might not be seen... But, much like someone else mentioned, I dont really bother myself with what others are doing, I make sure im good with what Im doing... In this world, there are cheaters, there are poachers, and there are guys who out spend, or out work... Some guys are horrible husbands and fathers cause they put everything into hunting... Does that mean there a better hunter than you cause you take care of your family and only hunt once a week? An if you saved and bought a 40 acre property that has a few good bucks on it are you a better hunter than the guy who hunts only public? Or are you a better hunter than the rich guy who bought 1000 acres in Buffalo county Wisconsin and is passing everything under 170? Are you better than the guy who leaves his stand up over night where thats illegal? or illegally cuts a shooting lane??? My point is that its not apples to apples, and everyone wants to tell you how they earned there buck, and why some one else is not worthy, but in reality, there are so many factors, that you can only judge you... Bottom line is your the only one who knows how you act when no one is around to see. And if it bothers you that someone else is claiming success, you should look in the mirror and ask why you care. Dont take me wrong, Im not saying your doing anything wrong, just saying what does it matter? Maybe the guys on the up and up? maybe not? Im just worried about my next hunt...
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:49 pm

Can only speak for my area. Nope they don’t exist. To many hunters and people around for one to never be seen at some point .I used to think they did when I was younger but now I’m wiser. I think in the northwoods or areas with low human populations they could exist
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:27 pm

dan wrote:[Im just worried about my next hunt...

:clap: :clap: :clap: That sums it up
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:45 pm

Is this pointed toward someone on the beast or someone else? I think hard work pays off. I know guys who flat out bust their butts scouting and hunting heavily pressured public lands and have a wall to prove it. In my opinion you reap what you sew and just because people run cameras doesn’t mean they’re woodsman enough to put the cameras where they need to be to get pics of the big boys because they’re totally different than other deer. To each their own but there are guys who bring big bucks off of public every year that other people don’t get a chance at because they’re doing things different than everyone else.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:25 pm

I think there are a few areas in MT where some bucks are never seen.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:28 pm

VaBowKill5 wrote:Is this pointed toward someone on the beast or someone else? I think hard work pays off. I know guys who flat out bust their butts scouting and hunting heavily pressured public lands and have a wall to prove it. In my opinion you reap what you sew and just because people run cameras doesn’t mean they’re woodsman enough to put the cameras where they need to be to get pics of the big boys because they’re totally different than other deer. To each their own but there are guys who bring big bucks off of public every year that other people don’t get a chance at because they’re doing things different than everyone else.

Not pointed at anyone, just a general statement in what I see around here and have personally witnessed. I agree with what u say (atleast the killing part) but don’t think it requires any skill to get a night pic of every buck on the place. I Know a guy who won a guaranteed kill “management buck” from a deer farm at his company Christmas party. Was honest about it to me but next thing you know I see a FB post of a public bow kill. Just found it kinda sad. I agree with Oldrank that hunting public is “trendy” these days. So I wonder is it possible on a 2000 acre piece of public where 1 out of every 3 people run cams and is heavily hunted for bucks to constantly go unseen. I used the example of Michigan just to up the numbers for sake of argument. But can’t see for the life of me, other than vast lightly hunted wilderness how this is possible. Just kinda reminds me of the BIG FOOT phenomena. Are the guys who don’t see a big foot simply not trying hard enough or are the ones that do On places others don’t full of It? These are the questions I ask myself. Again was just intended for sake of discussion and agree with Dan it doesn’t matter. Bigger probs in the world IMO
Eat the donut not the hole!
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:52 pm

IMO, in the vast majority of states there arent unseen whitetail bigfoots. But there's lots of guys with big egos and loose lips.

Was listening to the most recent exodus podcast yesterday, and one of the guys had located a 190 buck on public in Ohio. He initially thought this could be one of those mythical bucks. After talking with the wildlife biologist, game warden, and a few locals... a handful of guys had pics and were also hunting him.

I think guys think they're the only one to know about or locate a deer comes from ego first, and then just having a small circle. Probably neither with the exodus guy, because he seemed to hope for that to be the case with it being big woods, but didn't come off like a wannabe hero. Pretty sure the area he located him is over 100k acres. If a guy didn't have the network of people he trusted to ask around, I guess I could see him thinking he's the only one to know about the buck. But to brag and claim to be "that guy" takes an ego bigger than the big woods.
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:01 pm

I definitely agree there are guys that lie about their kills to try to make themselves look like better hunters. As far as getting the pics at night sometimes it’s harder than it seems...at least for me. I’ve watched the same buck come out in a hay field every evening for the last 6 days. On day 3 I took 4 of my cuddelink cameras and spread them out in the woods where I’ve seen him come out hoping to get some pictures. I haven’t gotten him yet and it blows my mind because he’s there every evening. This isn’t on public but I’m just using it as an example that sometimes bucks have a way of staying trail cam free is all. But on a more serious note anybody that drinks Busch light is ok in my book. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”