Disagreement on Ranch Fairy method

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
buttonbuck

Disagreement on Ranch Fairy method

Unread postby buttonbuck » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:18 am

This guy disagrees with the Bare shaft tune. What say you?

https://youtu.be/Y2NI8SKBBbc

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Disagreement on Ranch Fairy method

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:29 am

I literally have one day of experience with it, but it revealed that I was torqueing the grip in a way that I might not have seen otherwise. My helical fletching took over downrange and I was hitting the target fine. But the bare shaft was consistently tearing right and grip was the only logical place to try and fix it. And the paper didn't lie when my grip was better.

Would using fletched arrows have revealed the same thing? Probably. But there was no ambiguity with the bare shaft.

BTW, there are a lot of people who bare shaft tune, not just RF.
Predators don't let mistakes deter them.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:05 am

If what you are doing is working for you, stick with it. If not, then it can't hurt to try a different way. RF gets it done, and in a way just about anybody can follow.
Thesouthpaw

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:18 am

If the arrow fly's true with a broad head, what does it matter? I don't bare shaft tune, but I don't fault anyone who does.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:05 am

buttonbuck wrote:This guy disagrees with the Bare shaft tune. What say you?

Totally different game. You need to go watch R.F. again to see why he does what he does. I think it's his handload video or step one video. The video you posted tunes your bow to the arrow. R.F. is tuning the arrow to the bow. He explains this. It's all on the premises of loading the arrow heavy up front. You can't just build a certain grain arrow you want necessarily. You need the Ranch Ferry test kit and keep trying different heads starting with the lightest head and working your way up. Only the right weight head will shoot good and you'll know that's the one for your set up. Again, go back and watch and you'll see what I'm saying..
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:37 am

buttonbuck wrote:This guy disagrees with the Bare shaft tune. What say you?

Man, that's kind of like farting in a crowded room and walking out then watching everyone argue about who did it.

What say you?

I actually had that video pop up in my youtube feed last night and watched about half of it before skipping ahead to the next video. I've been using bare shafts as a tool to tune my bow for years. Ranch fairy got me using them to tune my arrows, which has already resulted in some huge improvements in my shooting, bow performance and arrow performance. I dont know about broadheads yet because my block target, black hole target and McKenzie deer target are barely stopping my target points. I have field point tipped arrows blowing through a bag target at 50yds. I dont practice farther than that so that means my bag targets which are basically new just became useless. But my point is, I have never had arrows flying this well and penetrating this deep.

I watched the rf videos and what thought what he said made a lot of sense and now I'm finding out for myself that it doesnt just look good on paper.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:21 am

"Ha Haaaaa" R.F. here's one. https://youtu.be/jYd6PTqxAho
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:43 am

Learned how to use slow motion video on my phone last night. This is a shot at 20yds, through a beer can for dramatic effect :lol: into an unshotup part of my block target. Target point and full arrow penetration and then a few inches of penetration into the bag target behind it.

https://youtu.be/fajpvAB_XLM
Scott S

Unread postby Scott S » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:47 am

Trout wrote:Learned how to use slow motion video on my phone last night. This is a shot at 20yds, through a beer can for dramatic effect :lol: into an unshotup part of my block target. Target point and full arrow penetration and then a few inches of penetration into the bag target behind it.

Seeing that innocent beer murdered like that has made me realize we need strong national bow control legislation. If it saves just one beer it will be worth it.
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:37 am

Like most tuning videos, there are some good points and some antiquated ideas too. Shop guys don't like bare shaft paper tuning because it's very difficult for the average guy to get a consistent tear through paper.

Either method can be used to improve arrow flight.

In all reality if guys would would spend the same effort improving their form and shot execution as they do on tuning and tinkering, they'd be a lot more lethal in the fall.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:24 am

Trout wrote:Learned how to use slow motion video on my phone last night. This is a shot at 20yds, through a beer can for dramatic effect :lol: into an unshotup part of my block target. Target point and full arrow penetration and then a few inches of penetration into the bag target behind it.

That's just wrong :lol: :lol:
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:54 am

Here’s my $0.02. He calls himself “ranch fairy” and I’ve heard the name enough times over the last few months... however, with a name like that, I have not watched a single show or even looked the person up lol.

What I will say is that I bare shaft tune right out of the gate every time I change something but that’s the only time I do it
How bad do you want it?
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:22 pm

Marshbuster89 wrote:Here’s my $0.02. He calls himself “ranch fairy” and I’ve heard the name enough times over the last few months... however, with a name like that, I have not watched a single show or even looked the person up lol.

What I will say is that I bare shaft tune right out of the gate every time I change something but that’s the only time I do it

He got the name because the ranch he was at he took care of everyone and he's the type of person to serve or help others. He talks about it in one of his videos. He's a really cool dude.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:22 pm

Paper tune, bare shaft tune, shoot your broadheads...this isnt rocket science
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:24 pm

jmaas07 wrote:Paper tune, bare shaft tune, shoot your broadheads...this isnt rocket science

This ^

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”