Need help with a hill country buck bedding area

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

G-Patt

Re: Need help with a hill country buck bedding area

Unread postby G-Patt » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:09 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:
G-Patt wrote:Looks like the highest elevation is north of where the beds are. I would try setting up on this higher elevation with a southerly wind between 7 and 10 mph in the evening and hope the thermals and the wind move my scent northerly. I'd look for some white oaks (early season) or other early season browse and set up north of a trail heading from those beds to the oaks. Go back in there this summer to see if you can locate the trails at a point where the thermals would pull your scent north (with a little help of a south wind) once it starts falling. Also check the wind with milkweed to see how bad the wind swirls there or how true it is to the wind that day. The bucks will likely move to higher elevation after the does and young bucks move to the oaks, plus they will have the thermals in their favor. Hopefully all of this happens within legal light. Good luck to you!

If you havent watched Dan's hill country dvd you should check it out. A mature buck is not going to be bedded on a southern slope with a wind out of the south blowing torwards the North.

He would have no wind over his back or protection from hunters coming from those trails to the North. Also a high setup is only good if the sun is hitting the forest floor when the buck gets up. This might work in rut not likely early season.

You're right about that, my bad!

On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:33 pm

G-Patt wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:
G-Patt wrote:Looks like the highest elevation is north of where the beds are. I would try setting up on this higher elevation with a southerly wind between 7 and 10 mph in the evening and hope the thermals and the wind move my scent northerly. I'd look for some white oaks (early season) or other early season browse and set up north of a trail heading from those beds to the oaks. Go back in there this summer to see if you can locate the trails at a point where the thermals would pull your scent north (with a little help of a south wind) once it starts falling. Also check the wind with milkweed to see how bad the wind swirls there or how true it is to the wind that day. The bucks will likely move to higher elevation after the does and young bucks move to the oaks, plus they will have the thermals in their favor. Hopefully all of this happens within legal light. Good luck to you!

If you havent watched Dan's hill country dvd you should check it out. A mature buck is not going to be bedded on a southern slope with a wind out of the south blowing torwards the North.

He would have no wind over his back or protection from hunters coming from those trails to the North. Also a high setup is only good if the sun is hitting the forest floor when the buck gets up. This might work in rut not likely early season.

You're right about that, my bad!

Sorry if I came across at all aggressive it wasn't intentional. Re reading my post how I wrote it at the time was innocent I realized how it might have come across different to others.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
G-Patt

Unread postby G-Patt » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:13 am

Not at all. I appreciate the correction.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”