Upping the odds...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Upping the odds...

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:58 am

backstraps wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:Freeing up wall space for more taxidermy :lol:

This is a confident BEAST :lol: :clap:

Or extremely foolish :lol: I'll find out in the next few months.

CShipp

Unread postby CShipp » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:14 am

Hawthorne wrote:Meditating.Cyber scouting. Shooting my bow. Getting trail cams ready. I will start shining and glassing soon when the velvet rut begins. I’ve been out fishing lately haven’t done anything in the field for deer since early May before green up

Can you explain what the velvet rut is??
“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
-Aldo Leopold
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:51 am

I put in for a handful of special wma permits here in AR and managed to draw 2, one MZ and other MG but for the same wma! Can also bowhunt this wma, so I'm fixing to spend the majority of my season there and try to capitalize. This place has some big deer on it, but ya gotta work for um.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:57 am

seazofcheeze wrote:
backstraps wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:Freeing up wall space for more taxidermy :lol:

This is a confident BEAST :lol: :clap:

Or extremely foolish :lol: I'll find out in the next few months.

Nah, id imagine with the homework you have been doing, you will have another good year...
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:34 am

CShipp wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:Meditating.Cyber scouting. Shooting my bow. Getting trail cams ready. I will start shining and glassing soon when the velvet rut begins. I’ve been out fishing lately haven’t done anything in the field for deer since early May before green up

Can you explain what the velvet rut is??

Its the period from now till velvet shed you can view the best bucks in your area feeding on beans or alfalfa. Not sure who coined it
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:14 am

Shooting my bow, scouting new public land pieces and cyber scouting
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:31 am

Upping ones odds is the #1 thing that has always fascinated me in deer hunting. That goes from shooting any deer, good bucks with a rifle, any deer with a bow, good bucks with a bow, any deer with a stickbow, etc.... Upping the odds is where it’s at for me. My original answer is where I’m currently. But for a new guy who is green. The greatest way to up your odds is spend your time in the woods during the time of season all bucks move. And a lot of tree time. Even if u don’t have a clue about deer if u put the tree time in during the right time u got a serious chance of a bruiser if u can atleast understand a high odds spot. Yes, I give anyone who can hunt 60 days a heck of an edge over a more skilled hunter and 2 weekends. I give a gun hunter with 10 straight days in a row to hunt in November who isn’t picky the highest odds of all. Pick your odds wisely cause there is a satisfaction factor involved. You want high odds pay $10,000 for a guaranteed 200” monster. End of the day don’t think those guys are happy or feel they did anything to get the slightest feeling of accomplishment. But hey Facebook hits come at a price :shifty:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
naternate

Unread postby naternate » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:48 am

Haven’t shined deer in about 15 years but have started doing that again recently. I used to do it just for entertainment with friends and seeing some deer. Now using it for info on places to focus

Put out a couple cameras and think I want to purchase a few more to help with the same thing....intel for areas to focus

Have also done boots on the ground scouting. Thinking now I maybe should have been a little more low impact instead of diving right into bedding.

Glassing fields at last light to go along with the shining and cameras

Selling some old hunting gear/stands to buy a saddle. Want to try it out this summer on observation stands and see if its something I want to use during the season
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:16 am

Not much different than any other time of the year. Just feed them at a few spots, keep them around and keep them dumb, checking cards a few times a week.

I'll drive around and check and glass at the usual spots but it's really just for fun, the cameras do all the work for me unfortunately.
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:45 am

1. Working on endurance. Getting into a spot, then getting a deer out of the woods is the most “in your face” way I’ve ever discovered I was out of shape.
2. I’m practicing shooting my bow down, bending at the waist and such.
3. I’m looking at new spots to hunt this year. I’m planning on bouncing around a lot more than I have in the past.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”