Milkweed where there is none

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
jrain904

Milkweed where there is none

Unread postby jrain904 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:10 pm

For those like me who live in a state where milkweed is nearly impossible to find I have learned that you can grow your own. I bought about nine plants from home depot and grew them in 3 separate pots and now (in FL) at least half the plants are producing pods. I have around 15 pods as of now and have already dried two and produced nice whisps. I grew the variety with yellow and red flowers. Just a heads up and happy hunting.

buttonbuck
500 Club

Re: Milkweed where there is none

Unread postby buttonbuck » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:37 am

Yes Sir, a dude on here shipped me a box of pods. I kept the seeds and planted em. Now I have a garden of em. Well over 30 plants. You don't see milkweed in SC (at least I haven’t)
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:30 am

Haha, milkweed will be all over FL before long... I have some in my garden as well. I do pest control and some of my customers have milkweed in there butterfly gardens and they don’t mind me taking the pods. :lol:
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:15 am

That's cool you can grow your own! another alternative that I used to use are kid bubbles. Just take a small bottle with you. Not as good as milkweed but if your in a pinch, it does the job (as long as they all don't pop).
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:44 am

I often prefer options that have some color. If u are new to paying attention to the wind it’s prob not the best. But as the years go by u can pretty much look at cover/terrain and be pretty dang ball park. I use hot pink cheap wool yarn sometimes when milk weed is scarce due to standing water. Cut it in 1/2” strips then “fluff” it. Basically just checking directional and swirl. Prob screw the pooch now an again but prefer something I can see vs a powder that disappears within ft.
Eat the donut not the hole!
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:03 pm

PK_ wrote:Haha, milkweed will be all over FL before long... I have some in my garden as well. I do pest control and some of my customers have milkweed in there butterfly gardens and they don’t mind me taking the pods. :lol:

Im gonna grow so much on my property its gonna be all over town in a few years
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:28 am

Yup - folks plant em for the butterflies around here.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:35 am

If you look around late summer there is alot of other weeds out there that have similar seed structures that are dispersed by the wind. I got a pile of it last year when brush hogging some fields off with the tractor.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:01 pm

cspot wrote:If you look around late summer there is alot of other weeds out there that have similar seed structures that are dispersed by the wind. I got a pile of it last year when brush hogging some fields off with the tractor.

Here in the south I’ve found theres bull thistle, some small weed that grows horizontally and cotton. But none of it works half as well as milkweed. Probably alot out there im missing.
Jesse Miller

Unread postby Jesse Miller » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:32 am

I haven't seen milkweed in South Carolina either but in the fall there's cotton all over. One cotton ball lasts a long time if you just pull a few fine strands off. It'll float a long way.
Now therefore take, I pray thee,thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison. Genesis 27:3

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”