Finding Where Mature Deer Are

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PK_
500 Club

Re: Finding Where Mature Deer Are

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:14 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:
Camoface13 wrote:Appreciate all the insight guys. I fully understand boots on the ground and dedicated hard work can’t be taught. I unfortunately have no other hunting buddies who take it as serious as I do or want to keep learning so it makes it difficult to strategize or learn from each other

You are only repeating what has been said and recognized countless times before. You are holding conversations with a large group of hunters that wish to go extra distance to learn what it takes right here on this forum.

This is what makes this forum so infectious. It is so rare to come across another hunter who not only shares the passion, but is really willing to literally go the extra mile and put in the work season after season. But this site is full of those kinds of guys/gals.

My advice is when you hunt with the friends and family you already consider hunting buddies, keep it fun and don’t push your mindset/work ethic on anyone. Keep the ‘hardcore’ mentality for solo hunts or if you come across another like minded buddy...

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:30 am

#1) Accept you don't get to the point of killing big bucks every year on pressured land overnight by watching a video or reading a book. It takes some time learning, and scouting. I can give all the info you can get to teach you how. But that only goes so far. You still need some time trying and failing to learn how to apply it and recognize it. The average guy starting beast tactics gets in his groove after about 3 years if he is a hard worker and good learner.

2) and this in more important than most give it credit. You have to want it... Really, really, want it... The highlight of my hunting career was in the 90's. when my skill level elevated to meet my youthful energy. I killed a lot of huge bucks in that 10 year span. The main reason was that I was always plotting, always thinking of my next move, and always searching for that over looked piece of the puzzle. I would literally have dreams at night about what to do next, or where to try next, wake up and write them down so I would see my notes in the morning and remember.

3) You need to believe in yourself. Trust your gut. Be willing to hunt crazy spots, or try new things. If what everyone else is doing works so good, how come very few of them kill big bucks year after year? Many of my biggest bucks came from spots no one else would be caught dead hunting.

4) Scout, Scout, hunt... 3X more hours spent scouting than hunting. If your not on a big buck, don't waste time in a tree. Go find one. Its hard enough to kill a giant buck when you know where he lives, having one come randomly thru your area in daylight is not likely. Of my top 10 bucks, every one of them was my target on the hunt I killed them on. There is nothing "consistent" about truly big bucks randomly walking past your stands.

5) Hunt mobile. Keep moving. Hunting the same spots over and over does not increase your odds with the true giants that have lived thru 5 or more seasons and have learned where all the hunter spots are. I was hunting mobile with hang-ons before anybody new what mobile was, using steel stands all taped up, hose over the chain, and silenced as much as possible way back in the late 70's early 80's. well before anybody even new mobile was a thing. Most people hunt the same spots over and over, but its generally a 1st time sit that results in the biggest buck of your life.

6) not all public, or private, lands are equal. Choose places where you know of a big buck, heard about a big buck, or have a reputation for big bucks. Check with the local DNR Biologists to find out which properties have the oldest age class ( if that sounds like to much work, refer back to #2) When I look at 10 different public properties, generally I only end up hunting 1 or 2 of them. Im looking for a place that has limited access, and hard to reach areas. If the area has high pressure, is near cities, and has high hunter density, I search for water. Thick swamps that are wet and have endless cover give giant bucks places where the orange army don't kill every buck before it reaches 5 or 6...
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:47 pm

This is a really good thread! Lots of thoughtful responses from experienced buck killers. The last post from Dan is a remarkable example of why the hunting beast is the only forum I even bother to read about deer hunting matters. A golden nugget!

dan wrote:#1) Accept you don't get to the point of killing big bucks every year on pressured land overnight by watching a video or reading a book. It takes some time learning, and scouting. I can give all the info you can get to teach you how. But that only goes so far. You still need some time trying and failing to learn how to apply it and recognize it. The average guy starting beast tactics gets in his groove after about 3 years if he is a hard worker and good learner.

2) and this in more important than most give it credit. You have to want it... Really, really, want it... The highlight of my hunting career was in the 90's. when my skill level elevated to meet my youthful energy. I killed a lot of huge bucks in that 10 year span. The main reason was that I was always plotting, always thinking of my next move, and always searching for that over looked piece of the puzzle. I would literally have dreams at night about what to do next, or where to try next, wake up and write them down so I would see my notes in the morning and remember.

3) You need to believe in yourself. Trust your gut. Be willing to hunt crazy spots, or try new things. If what everyone else is doing works so good, how come very few of them kill big bucks year after year? Many of my biggest bucks came from spots no one else would be caught dead hunting.

4) Scout, Scout, hunt... 3X more hours spent scouting than hunting. If your not on a big buck, don't waste time in a tree. Go find one. Its hard enough to kill a giant buck when you know where he lives, having one come randomly thru your area in daylight is not likely. Of my top 10 bucks, every one of them was my target on the hunt I killed them on. There is nothing "consistent" about truly big bucks randomly walking past your stands.

5) Hunt mobile. Keep moving. Hunting the same spots over and over does not increase your odds with the true giants that have lived thru 5 or more seasons and have learned where all the hunter spots are. I was hunting mobile with hang-ons before anybody new what mobile was, using steel stands all taped up, hose over the chain, and silenced as much as possible way back in the late 70's early 80's. well before anybody even new mobile was a thing. Most people hunt the same spots over and over, but its generally a 1st time sit that results in the biggest buck of your life.

6) not all public, or private, lands are equal. Choose places where you know of a big buck, heard about a big buck, or have a reputation for big bucks. Check with the local DNR Biologists to find out which properties have the oldest age class ( if that sounds like to much work, refer back to #2) When I look at 10 different public properties, generally I only end up hunting 1 or 2 of them. Im looking for a place that has limited access, and hard to reach areas. If the area has high pressure, is near cities, and has high hunter density, I search for water. Thick swamps that are wet and have endless cover give giant bucks places where the orange army don't kill every buck before it reaches 5 or 6...
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:58 am

There was a guy down here who used to kill some monster FL deer. He gave away 2 of his best spots when he moved to IL or IO. Both were open canopies and on edges - the bucks were where folks weren't hunting and where they could see what was coming. It made a lot of sense after I saw Dan's videos.
Camoface13

Unread postby Camoface13 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:30 am

Appreciate the comments guys. This will be my third season using beast tactics and every year I’ve killed “the biggest deer of my life”.. besides the success I crave learning now. Because I realize how little I know. I have 3 kids and work a utility job that keeps me very busy, but I am 24/7/365 trying to become a better hunter and am always crafting together strategies for the next hunt. Wanting to learn and working your but off are the two biggest takeaways I’ve heard (and seen to prove success). But having that drive to always be seen to improve your equipment, knowledge, strategy, etc is what sets someone apart from the pack. It’s so funny watching or listening to some of you who are “popular” within social media because the drive that you have is exactly how I feel, almost a perfectionist mindset. Hope to get a chance to personally thank some of you at a get together or just passing by (I know some of you southern Michiganders live very close by, I think Ridgerunner actually works at the local school where I live and I’ve learned a ton from your tactics as well Andy). Thanks again fellas
deer365

Unread postby deer365 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:26 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I go about things a bit different. Don’t mean any better just I ventured a diff trail. I’ve never cybered anything in my life and don’t own a map. For me mature bucks are a result of not being killed. So I have an eye for hidey holes which would allow a buck well... the time to mature. Public or private doesn’t really matter to me. What matters is nobody has thought to hunt the sucker. Once u stumble onto one you think holy moly and wheels start turning to find other spots. Some of these places produce year after year while others are situational. Best advice I can give ya is get rid of any notion of what great deer woods look like and think outside the box. Build yourself up an of places and never quit looking for the next. Good luck!

I like your thinking! I'm not much on map scouting, I think it's one of my flaws but to add to what you said I like to go by the mentality of if my initial thoughts are wow this is a good looking block of woods, I'm sure someone else feels that way too.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”