Rope Mock Scrapes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: Rope Mock Scrapes

Unread postby stash59 » Sat May 09, 2020 3:06 pm

Trout wrote:
stash59 wrote:
Trout wrote:Found the post with Muddy's grape vine setups for anyone else interested. Thanks again to Stash for the heads up.

Cchez wrote:not sure if you plan on using any scents or not

I do plan to use scent to get them started. I'll probably just leave some of my own urine.

I plan to start these in June in areas where I hope an older buck lives. I have a half dozen trail cams so I will put 6 out, let em soak for 1 or 2 weeks, and then move all of them to new areas, then repeat that process over and over until fall. Ideally, by that time I will have covered dozens of areas and will have an idea where my best odds are to hunt an older deer when the season gets here. Then I can break those areas down and play cat and mouse. I still plan to shine and glass cause they're both fun, but it's hard to do this things effectively when there arent too many fields around. It's really just about locating a older buck which is something I struggle with close to home. I leave my home area and it's no problem, we just dont have a lot of em here. So that tells me I need to work harder and smarter and try some new inventory tactics.

Right now I'm thinking I will make the mock scrapes at locations that had good buck sign during spring scouting, ones that have in the past, funnels, etc.

Great!! I looked a little for it myself this AM. But couldn't hit on the correct word combo. Please post a link when you have time. I need to bookmark that one!! I'll bookmark this one too!

Whoops, forgot to paste it- thanks again!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49458&p=770572&hilit=Grape+vine#p770572

Thanx back!!!

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Sat May 09, 2020 3:55 pm

Trout wrote:Thinking about giving rope Mock scrapes a shot this summer to locate older bucks. I searched the archives here and didnt see much, was curious if anyone on here has used these with any success to determine if older deer are in an area. I hunt big woods so shining and glassing arent very effective tools, feels like finding a needle in a hay stack, especially in the area I'm in where the buck:doe ratio is way out of whack, genetics are very poor, and hunting pressure is crazy high. Rope mock scrapes seem like a way to get a picture of an older deer if he exists, which could help me hone in on particular places. I'm usually not a big fan of this kind of thing, but I'm willing to try it for a season or two and see how it works out as an inventory tool.

So for those who use them, how are you setting up, what kind of rope are you using? if you're using scent to get the scrape started, what are you using? how about high % setup locations without being too intrusive? How long does it typically take to get a good inventory of what's in the immediate area?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have used both the rope(on private) and the vine on public, here are some pics. The rope holds the scent better. I used pre-orbital from Smokey's, recommended by Barry Wensel. However, the rope is super obvious and won't work on public as it lets everyone know you are in there. The rope set was on a historical rubline that generally is almost always hit at night so was great for inventory.

Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon May 11, 2020 7:03 pm

I use some rope scrapes and they get hammered just like any other mock scrape or better. I’ve seen vines work just as good . I’ve stiffenned ropes up with attaching branches as well , doesn’t matter. Your gonna have people tell you one is better than the other.....they all work if in the correct spot. I don’t use any scent.
Mike20

Unread postby Mike20 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:55 am

I hung a piece of grapevine a couple of weeks ago, first I've ever tried something like that. It'll be fun watching as the year goes by: https://youtu.be/fBgo3nYl0wo
FallowJaeger

Unread postby FallowJaeger » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:38 pm

Has any one listen to Troy Pottenger from Idaho, he has a few podcast. He has some cool methods he used making Mock Scrapes on public land out west.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSKlj4 ... tyQYSRanxb
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:55 am

Yes! I sought a few of his as they were really in depth and interesting. Probably the deepest dive into creating and hunting community Scrapes that I’ve listened to.

Add in the type of country he hunts with vast terrain and elevation, it’s really a unique take.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:34 am

For myself, I don’t expect moc scrapes to magically bring in bucks. I place them at proven high odds spots for the simple reason to get a buck to stop on his own, broadside, close to my tree, and put there attention on something other than me drawing my bow. They don’t always work for this, in fact the very seldom work. But when they do I’m glad I spent 10 minutes of my life making one.

I have played with all kinds of material both artificial and real limbs. For me the best results came from something with some weight the can push against. You can run cams on any scrapes both fake or real and 90% of all your buck pics are gonna be at night. The trick is setting up ahead of em on that other 10%. Mock scrapes are also great for Inventory pics. Usually get very good pics at night on mock scrapes and the rope of whatever u hang gives u a point of reference to how big of body the deer actually is. I like em and enjoy making em but they are no magic bullet. And if a guy has very little free time I would suggest spend it scouting more instead of building moc scrapes.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:55 am

I use natural scrapes identified from previous seasons. Open them up in July and set a camera. I don't use any scent. I use it for inventory in that area. Never messed around with mock scrapes but I'm also fortunate to find a lot of natural ones. Interesting to read how some of you create them. Another tool to consider. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shoot Straight
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:52 am

Thanks for the insight Boogieman. I agree for someone new to hunting, that podcast and mock scrapes may seem like a magic potion. I’ve found that to be false ( limited experience though)

You nailed it with trying to set up between bedding and the scrape, and again I’m mostly focusing on existing community scrape locations. These are the ones that are essentially 4-6 inches deep and bowled out, adjacent to the bedroom.

Not putting all my eggs in this basket, but I’m interested in trying to learn more.
AppalachianArcher

Unread postby AppalachianArcher » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:26 am

Coalcracker wrote:I use natural scrapes identified from previous seasons. Open them up in July and set a camera. I don't use any scent. I use it for inventory in that area. Never messed around with mock scrapes but I'm also fortunate to find a lot of natural ones. Interesting to read how some of you create them. Another tool to consider. Thanks.

I've tried all the different scents throughout the years, and none of them work better than your own personal brand. It's free and unlimited supply. I do the same as you and just open up old scrapes from the previous season near bedding. Did this a few weeks ago in one of my spots and got two bucks from last season, as well as a few doe that showed up.

06150026.JPG

06180136.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:46 am

Nice looking deer App Archer.

Have you messed around with anything on the licking branch?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:22 am

Here’s one from a buck that proved to wise for me. Guess u could call it a mock scrape. It’s an open spot in an interior fence where I was already getting pics of this buck moving through. Was also already an established scrape there but he wouldn’t ever pay it any attention. Particular buck had a fascination with blackjack oaks. All his scrapes were under blackjack limbs. I simply stapled a blackjack limb over and already established scrape and poof! He hit it every time through. Didn’t do a thing as far as helping me kill the sucker. But I did get a lil satisfaction that the experiment worked.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
AppalachianArcher

Unread postby AppalachianArcher » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:04 am

RatMe wrote:Nice looking deer App Archer.

Have you messed around with anything on the licking branch?

Thanks.

Nothing at all. I think the broken up earth is what really gets them in to work the area. Their natural reaction is to work the branches as well. Bucks aren't the only deer that used it, the does will work them too.

06180167.JPG

06270013.JPG

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”