Using your own pressure

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
BryanD
Facebook: BryansamanthaDunlap

Using your own pressure

Unread postby BryanD » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:28 am

Using you own pressure

For 23 years I have been hunting the farm I grew up on is southern Michigan. Over the years my hunting tactics have changed in many ways. For the most part the tactics I use are very different than the beast style of hunting. But they do have some similarities. I don't really plan on changing the way I hunt my farm much as it has been very successful for me in the past. Since I started targeting specific bucks 10 years ago. I have been successful all but one year. For a little extra challenge I have called the tree I would kill the buck from 4 years in a row now also. I have watched most of these bucks for multiple years. I watched my 2019 buck for 5 years These bucks have all been in-between pope and young and 164 inches.

This year I am very excited to start a new chapter of hunting. For the first time I am going to hunt public land and I am going to go at it beast style. I have scouted 6 public spots now and I am very excited about a couple of them.

Now back to the topic. As I said above the way I chase bucks is much different from beast style. But I have had some thoughts on how I can incorporate parts of it into my style as Im constantly trying to evolve as a hunter. The hunting pressure in my area is quite heavy. So I have used my neighbors presence to benefit me in such ways as changing my access to areas that border where they are already screwing things up. Using an off wind that blows back into my property so that bucks bedding on there property come in my direction because there accessing the wrong areas. So essentially using them to wind bump deer in my direction. These are a couple of the many ways I pay attention to my neighbors to benefit me.

So my thoughts are how about I use my own pressure as a tool also. I hunt pretty much every day other than my son's birthday. So the pressure I put on my own farm is most likely heavier than the neighboring farms. But the attention I put into access and my ability due to the terrain is why I have been able to continue to have success. Currently I have 17 stands on my farm. On most years like this past year. I'll spend most of my time in maybe three or 4 of them. These stands will be in the area of the farm where I have seen the buck I am after the most part in the past. And i have to tell you, I hunt the crap out of that area. If the wind stays the same for 10 days I'll hunt that stand for 10 days straight. If it changes I'll be in the same area but different stand for that wind.

So what I'm thinking is why not use my own pressure as a tool by mixing in some beast style with it. The area my target buck for this coming season hangs out in has a small marsh. I'm set up about 150 yards from it normally. But I found a tree about 50 yards from the best looking buck bed in that marsh. It has great access for me to get there undetected. And looks right over that bed. So im thinking after I apply my normal pressure for about a week in the beginning of October I'll throw a set at it. Then once in the rut, then maybe one more time in the late season. Has anyone used there own pressure to set up like this idea?

Lockdown

Re: Using your own pressure

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:32 am

Stone cold killer 8-)

I was nodding my head in agreement until I read one thing that made me pause. “I think I’ll hunt the surrounding area for a week then throw a sit at it.” That’s how my mind used to work when I found the Beast. I had everything planned ahead of time.

Now, I’m not saying that tactic won’t work in your situation. You know the buck and you know your land. But IMHO you’re leaving out the most crucial of elements.

HOT SIGN.

Wait until sign dictates it and you can’t imagine not hunting that set that night. Or even better, observe (if possible) then move in the following night. There’s nothing better than KNOWING he’s home.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:00 am

Bryan, just curious as to what part of the season most of your kills take place. How focused on bedding were you before finding the Beast? We’re they all kill sits? Observation sits?

I was thinking about this thread after my previous post. I used to do the same as you and kill deer with sheer determination and time spent in the field. I get the feeling if you play your cards right (hot sign and observation wise) you could substantially decrease your “sits per kill” ratio. Not that hunting everyday is a buzz kill or anything ;)
BryanD
Facebook: BryansamanthaDunlap

Unread postby BryanD » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:43 pm

Thats a great point because I was actually going ask a question at the end of my post. But ADD got the best of me again and I forgot. So the reason I was thinking of going in at a set time instead of waiting for hot sign is. This particular small cattail marsh is only probably 3 acres in size and pretty much most of the sign I find in it during the post season is right on top of where they bed. So checking it during season seems to risky. It is also surrounded buy a bunch more cover like red brush, multiflora rose. In Total it's a bit bigger than ten acres of cover. My idea was I guess to try and get in there and hope it was the right time. I guess I should just observe from my normal stands and hit that spot when I see him in that area. Or when I see him hit my food plot after dark from that direction with the cell cam.

So back to the question I had. How do you go at checking for hot sign if the possibility of getting busted is really high due to where the sign normally is compared to bedding. Is this a case where observation from a distance is the only way?

I shoot almost all of my bucks in the first week or the last week of October. I've done real good in the last week of October but the first week has been a little better. But I imagine that is because of the the amount of time I spend watching them. Every day, all year long I'm watching deer. I'd probably be sick if I knew how many of the total miles on my truck that were from shinning and glassing in a 6 square mile area around my farm. I had 17 cams on my farm this year. And spend a lot of time out there. I call controlled pressure. And I think I get away with it because of a combination of deer and hunter density in the same area. And a whole lot of other thing I do with this in mind but that would be a whole nother there's if I went into all that.

I do focus on bedding. And where I can get close, I do push the envelope. But that's only because in a couple areas of the farm the bedding is right over a hill and I bring them my way with food plots. But I am probably right around or bit farther than 100 yards from the buck beds so definitely not beast style.

Something great that you brought up was decreasing my amount of sits. Even though I'm pretty lucky on getting it done quick I would like to better ensure a kill with less sits. I plan on using that time to cover a bunch of ground on my new public land journey. So all your feedback is much appreciated.
Mgaspari

Unread postby Mgaspari » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:59 pm

I used my own pressure to kill my buck this past season. I got the idea from one of Dans videos for “boxing a deer in”, he was doing it with bedding. I did it with travel routes between two of his bedding areas that I could not hunt because they were on private. I left the best, most secure travel route to last and it worked, I killed a nice 160+ that I had chased for two years. I had never seen him from the stand until the day I killed him. I pinned down most of his travel routes using cameras over the course of two years.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”