Last minute advice?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
Moose
500 Club

Last minute advice?

Unread postby Moose » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:22 am

April 13 will be my first time turkey hunting and didnt know if anyone has any last minute tips, tricks or advice. I will be on private farmland. The farmer told me where he sees them all the time. I did see some tracks when i was scouting buck beds. My plan is to try to roost them the night before and get there about 30-45 mins before sunrise. My shooting hours are from daylight to dark. How often should i call if i dont hear or see anything? And how often do you move? Or should i only set up if i hear or see a tom and keep calling and walking if i dont? Thanks

Ack

Re: Last minute advice?

Unread postby Ack » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:31 am

Hard to argue with farmer observations. They are out there every day and can give you a lot of info on where the birds are at different times of the day. Personally I would sit where he sees them and wait them out. The more you call to them and pester em, the harder they might be to hunt if you need to return.

Sit that spot the first day, call softly and sparingly. If you see them moving in other areas, try to get in front of them and call, or sit that spot the next day. They can be easy to predict, but they can be very random as well. Observe their patterns and then move in. Good luck!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:36 am

When you 1st start turkey hunting its always a shock to find out how well they see... Cover your face, and sit where the farmer always sees them... They are on a pattern and will show up there. Move very slow, and hide real well, or be in a blind.
Pudster
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Pudster » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:38 am

My secret to Turkey success.
1. Stay up late internet scouting fall deer hunting locations.
2. Sleep in
3. Take the farmer a gift card for giving you permission, and ask to hunt deer this fall.
4. Stop at the store and buy a turkey. Enjoy a nice meal with the family

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”