Hill Country Public aerial scouting help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
raisins

Re: Hill Country Public aerial scouting help

Unread postby raisins » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:54 am

upwind predator wrote:
raisins wrote:
upwind predator wrote:Thanks you 2 and thanks abishai for pointing out the saddles, and possible deer travel. I walked it last spring and i noticed there arent any defined trails just faint ones is that the norm with hill country? I know when i walk it ill have to figure out how to hunt it wind wise. Any tips to keep in mind there?

Higher elevations have better drained and thinner soils that do not hold sign as well as other areas.

So, a faint trail at higher elevation is of more note than the same in a valley.

Whenever I've seen "cow paths" at higher elevations/rugged terrain it's been in an area where it was super obvious why deer would be there. And it was "money" as far as at least seeing deer in general (not necessarily bucks).

Lastly, even in hill country, I find that habitat and edge is more important than topography. What I mean is this:

You can have a perfect saddle and topographic setup to influence deer movement in the middle of a monoculture and you will not see many deer using that travel path if there isn't a reason for them to be travelling in that area (i.e. perfect road to nowhere).

I usually look at aerial photos first to determine where deer might be feeding and bedding and then look at topography next.

I understand the whole edge deal where field meets timber, or cover meets open timber. But in hill country what should i look for edge wise in the timber and terrain itself? Like some examples.

I think you got it as far as hard vs soft transitions. Different forest densities, forest compositions, or forest age classes meeting are examples of soft edges.

Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:39 am

The hiking factor depends. I killed my best buck about 120 yards off a well used hiking trail. The day I killed him I saw 1 deer and 8 people.

Hikers might not equal negative deer pressure. Also the frequency of hiking trail usage might matter. I bet during the cold of deer season not many are out. In either case you should be anle to use the trails and hikers to tour advantage.
"If you want to catch beasts you don't see every day, you have to go places quite out of the way. You have to go places no others can get to. You have to get cold, and you have to get wet, too." --Dr. Seuss
upwind predator

Unread postby upwind predator » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:49 pm

Abishai wrote:The hiking factor depends. I killed my best buck about 120 yards off a well used hiking trail. The day I killed him I saw 1 deer and 8 people.

Hikers might not equal negative deer pressure. Also the frequency of hiking trail usage might matter. I bet during the cold of deer season not many are out. In either case you should be anle to use the trails and hikers to tour advantage.

That was my thoughts to bein less when its colder, will bucks travel them in the daylight during rut if the terrain features are there for cruising or features That make them feel secure to travel thru unseen? I just have noticed the hiking trails look like they go thru locations you guys have marked up on the topo i provided. I know its more ill get an idea when i put boots on the ground.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:42 am

The property doesn’t look very large, with an expansive trail system covering a large majority of the property. Hunter access looks inviting from an aerial standpoint.

Hang trail cameras on the trail heads, 8-10’ up trees.
Depending on how thick the foliage is, this property may or may not be an end destination for mature deer.

Bucks can and will work scrapes and travel saddles that are used by people. I wouldn’t write the spots off completely, but understand that deer may only utilize them in the dark as well. Thick foliage adjacent to saddles will make one saddle more favorable than others.
Trust the Process
upwind predator

Unread postby upwind predator » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:54 am

Right the property is only 348 acres. N yes while hunter access does look inviting i think what keeps them from maybe hunting it alot is they have to start at the bottom and climb to the top, n i have thought about it not bein used as much by deer because its at the begining of the bluff, its a bluff system that runs id say 10 miles long total. I will be deploying trail cameras closer to season no doubt evenin if i dont hunt it much ill leave them up all season atleast.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”