Spring bear season in WI?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Re: Spring bear season in WI?

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:32 am

Manitoba derek wrote:My apologies on my very poor wording in my last post. I said that a little too definite about the cubs being taken by wolfs. I should of worded that more like this. I have never heard of that happening in Manitoba. I have grown up living and hunting in this great province and honestly this is the first time I have ever heard about wolfs hunting in this manner. But I do not appreciate how your Comments towards my knowledge or misinformation about this subject. Next time why not try to educate rather then just calling some one ignorant and then bundling them into your own group of no nothings. Like I said I have hunted bear my whole life. Been running baits since I was 5 years old and eating bear since before I can remember. Bear hunting is a topic I am not very ignorant with. But your the “expert” I’ll just go back to lurking around here thanks for the talk

Manitoba derek.... I think you mean well but unknowingly you have insulted many here especially with the comment "Time to get out of the dark ages Wisconsin" I said to myself does this guy think we are a bunch of hillbillies! (nothing wrong with hillbillies lol) There are many forms of hunting world wide that anti and non-anti hunters don't and wont except but we as hunters should support them as our hunting rights, constitutional rights and traditions are under attack more than ever before. Hunters are more divided today than ever before, we are slowly loosing the battle. Without any form of experience first hand what so ever, for you to say hounds have no place in bear hunting makes me shake my head. You say you grew up bear hunting, the laws and regulations set forth for you and your provinces and territories are what you have grown up with, its all you know, there should be no other way, its entrenched in your mind and perfect. Don't get me wrong I would still share a campfire with you but we need to stick together as hunters no matter what our views are or how far apart we live. Take Care and good luck hunting

Ol Split ( ) Toes

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:32 am

Mike Foss wrote:
Manitoba derek wrote:My apologies on my very poor wording in my last post. I said that a little too definite about the cubs being taken by wolfs. I should of worded that more like this. I have never heard of that happening in Manitoba. I have grown up living and hunting in this great province and honestly this is the first time I have ever heard about wolfs hunting in this manner. But I do not appreciate how your Comments towards my knowledge or misinformation about this subject. Next time why not try to educate rather then just calling some one ignorant and then bundling them into your own group of no nothings. Like I said I have hunted bear my whole life. Been running baits since I was 5 years old and eating bear since before I can remember. Bear hunting is a topic I am not very ignorant with. But your the “expert” I’ll just go back to lurking around here thanks for the talk

Manitoba derek.... I think you mean well but unknowingly you have insulted many here especially with the comment "Time to get out of the dark ages Wisconsin" I said to myself does this guy think we are a bunch of hillbillies! (nothing wrong with hillbillies lol) There are many forms of hunting world wide that anti and non-anti hunters don't and wont except but we as hunters should support them as our hunting rights, constitutional rights and traditions are under attack more than ever before. Hunters are more divided today than ever before, we are slowly loosing the battle. Without any form of experience first hand what so ever, for you to say hounds have no place in bear hunting makes me shake my head. You say you grew up bear hunting, the laws and regulations set forth for you and your provinces and territories are what you have grown up with, its all you know, there should be no other way, its entrenched in your mind and perfect. Don't get me wrong I would still share a campfire with you but we need to stick together as hunters no matter what our views are or how far apart we live. Take Care and good luck hunting

Very well said Mike!
Manitoba derek

Unread postby Manitoba derek » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:27 am

Mike Foss wrote:

I did not mean to offend anyone with my comments. I obviously do not have the gift of gab and seem to word most things very poorly. you are right though. when your raised doing things a certain way and raised to believe that certain practices are unethical it dose get deeply ingrained into you. Hunt the way you wanna hunt I’ll hunt the way I wanna. just have fun and keep the tradition going. I’ll do better next time boss.
“Keep fit and have fun!”
Hal Johnson & Joanne Mcleod
Manitoba derek

Unread postby Manitoba derek » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:31 am

Oh I forgot the most important thing in my last post. I AM SORRY! I am sry to any of you Wisconsin locals or any other bear hunters that run dogs that I may of offended. (Foot in mouth emoji)
“Keep fit and have fun!”
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:27 am

Manitoba derek wrote:Oh I forgot the most important thing in my last post. I AM SORRY! I am sry to any of you Wisconsin locals or any other bear hunters that run dogs that I may of offended. (Foot in mouth emoji)

Derek, I sent you a Private Message
Derbooze

Unread postby Derbooze » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:31 am

While I am a newcomer, I think a spring hunt in WI, at least at this point in time, is not a good idea. As Mike pointed out, the bear population is not as robust as many would like (and yet more than other would..). I would imagine the quota of bear would be the same, which would mean longer wait times to pull a tag, especially in the northern zones. Personally, I would prefer to hunt in the fall when the bear is well-fed and I can harvest more meat. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a 600 lb bear, but then again I am quite content with 200 knowing I can eat it throughout the year.

But that said, After listening to a couple of spring bear hunts on the Bear Hunting Podcast, I can understand the thrill and would be more than willing to give it a try!
Manitoba derek

Unread postby Manitoba derek » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:40 pm

Mike Foss wrote:
Manitoba derek wrote:Oh I forgot the most important thing in my last post. I AM SORRY! I am sry to any of you Wisconsin locals or any other bear hunters that run dogs that I may of offended. (Foot in mouth emoji)

Sry I don’t see it.
“Keep fit and have fun!”
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:51 pm

Manitoba derek wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

Sry I don’t see it.

click on the envelope in the top right hand corner, see if its in there
Manitoba derek

Unread postby Manitoba derek » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:51 pm

Mike Foss wrote:
Manitoba derek wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

Sry I don’t see it.

click on the envelope in the top right hand corner, see if its in there

No sir it is not.
“Keep fit and have fun!”
Freelance Bowhunter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:47 am

Derek if you are going to come off as a know-it-all and use terms like "mic drop" when you offer your opinions, and you really don't know much about what you're talking about, you should expect people to call you out. By the way, saying you are ignorant is not name calling, look up the word in the dictionary.

Apology accepted. Carry on.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:26 am

I think it’d be nice to give the hound guys the fall and the sitters the spring. Issue the same amount of tags. The pressure would/could be less and it might result in a better quality hunt. The boars would be easier to target. I’d think and the oops I shot a sow situations would maybe decrease.
I’m sure the powers that be wouldn't agree with that as their proposal seems like a money grab to me. More bear tags being issued is not the answer.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:11 am

matt1336 wrote:I think it’d be nice to give the hound guys the fall and the sitters the spring. Issue the same amount of tags. The pressure would/could be less and it might result in a better quality hunt. The boars would be easier to target. I’d think and the oops I shot a sow situations would maybe decrease.
I’m sure the powers that be wouldn't agree with that as their proposal seems like a money grab to me.More bear tags being issued is not the answer.

It would be a disaster to have a Spring hunt, ( The boars would be easier to target) mature bears would eventually decline and the quality of the hunt would be drastically reduced. Anyone associated with the yearly Wisconsin bear hunt will tell you theirs already a slow decline in the bear population. Sit back with the popcorn for a few years and watch it unfold.

More bear tags being issued is definitely not the answer. The state is just trying to boost license sales.
Freelance Bowhunter

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:39 am

Mike Foss wrote:
matt1336 wrote:I think it’d be nice to give the hound guys the fall and the sitters the spring. Issue the same amount of tags. The pressure would/could be less and it might result in a better quality hunt. The boars would be easier to target. I’d think and the oops I shot a sow situations would maybe decrease.
I’m sure the powers that be wouldn't agree with that as their proposal seems like a money grab to me.More bear tags being issued is not the answer.

It would be a disaster to have a Spring hunt, ( The boars would be easier to target) mature bears would eventually decline and the quality of the hunt would be drastically reduced. Anyone associated with the yearly Wisconsin bear hunt will tell you theirs already a slow decline in the bear population. Sit back with the popcorn for a few years and watch it unfold.

More bear tags being issued is definitely not the answer. The state is just trying to boost license sales.

Mike what do you base this on?
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:02 am

Freelance Bowhunter wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

Its no secrete that in the spring the food source is just not there like in the fall, add the bears breading habits in the mix even though it starts around end of May & June, more mature bears would be shot, its not like Wisconsin has a huge abundance of mature bears running around like parts of Canada does. Call any Bear Guide service or talk to any hounds men groups like I did and most likely they will tell you theirs a huge noticeable decline already happening.
Freelance Bowhunter

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:45 am

Mike Foss wrote:
Freelance Bowhunter wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

Its no secrete that in the spring the food source is just not there like in the fall, add the bears breading habits in the mix even though it starts around end of May & June, more mature bears would be shot, its not like Wisconsin has a huge abundance of mature bears running around like parts of Canada does. Call any Bear Guide service or talk to any hounds men groups like I did and most likely they will tell you theirs a huge noticeable decline already happening.

One of the reasons I ask is because the Minnesota bear biologists claim the reason they have cut back on the tags so much is because we shoot too many young bears and female bears. Any way we could increase the number of adult males would be a good thing and lead to more tags. Shooting males does not affect the population structure much, but shooting females and young bears does. So it seems to me that if there is evidence that a spring season would increase the percentage of adult males in the overall harvest, that would be a good thing for the overall population.

Mature male bears are hard to kill. Period. Spring or fall. In fact, I hardly see any rutting activity around here until the last couple days of May and I would say it peaks more towards the end of June. I've seen it here in Minnesota and all over Canada where big males just cruise through bait sites in June, usually do not even stop to eat during the rut, and often do not even come in to the bait they just check it from downwind and keep moving. No doubt in my mind that a spring season would have a higher success percentage for baited bears, but I don't really see the logic that it will increase the number of big males. Possibly if the season was held in June, but if it was held in May, it would be difficult to make that case in my opinion.

Just thinking out loud.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”