Texas National Forests

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BCR1985

Texas National Forests

Unread postby BCR1985 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:58 am

Hi Gang,

Does anyone have any personal opinions on which of the 4 national forests in east Texas (Sam Houston, Sabine, Angelina, Davy Crockett) is the least pressured and gets the least amount of visitors? I'm planning a dispersed/primitive back country hog hunt there this winter/spring with the bow, and would like to choose my initial location on areas with least amount of overall pressure. Also will be bringing the kayak as it seems some of the best places are flooded out that time of year.

Out of the 4 listed above, the general consensus is that the Sam Houston gets hit pretty hard because of its proximity to the Houston/Beaumont area. The same goes for the Davy Crockett.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ed

westbound

Re: Texas National Forests

Unread postby westbound » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:10 am

I have wondered the same thing in regards to deer hunting. I haven't hunted any of the NF yet but plan to next year. Judging from what I've read on a couple of Texas-specific hunting forums I think you are probably right that Sam Houston and Davy Crockett get the most pressure. There are a lot of threads and comments about those two and much fewer about Angelina and Sabine. Sabine is a little further from the big cities, so it stands to reason that it would be the least pressured but that's just an assumption.

I'd cyber-scout both of them and just go hunt the one you think looks better. Getting boots on the ground is going to answer a lot more questions than internet research. I doubt either is going to have much pressure during an offseason hog hunt, though. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”