Milkweed Garden Advice?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

buttonbuck
500 Club

Milkweed Garden Advice?

Unread postby buttonbuck » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:31 am

I have the dried seeds of an unknown species of New York milkweed. Gonna get a real nice garden of it going this year. Anyone do this? Any advice would be great.

Conditions:
South Carolina- upstate
Last frost end of march
Red clay abundant but will be bringing in garden soil for my entire garden this year, including the milk weed.
Mostly sunny location although I do have a small swamp at a 30’ lower elevation on my property.

I know milkweed is in SC however I've never seen it wild.

Gotta strange suspicion the Doe milk jokes are about to get going lol.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Milkweed Garden Advice?

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:28 pm

You probably won't have to do much with it. Native stuff grows in marginal soil and might like dry more than wet conditions.
Also I expect the planting depth to be 1/8 to 1/4 in deep. We planted some in our front yard and it did more than expected. Growing like a weed, lol.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:00 pm

I planted some a few years ago and this summer was the first time I got substantial pods off them....so it might take a few seasons to get the pods.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:42 pm

I'm in Indiana, so it grows we'll here. Not sure how it will do down there.

I paired it with strawberries, as they are done in June before the milkweed gets tall. I frequently see it in ditches, so you may want to try a wetter and also a dryer location so you don't throw all of your eggs in one basket.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:24 am

Where I am in NY we have clay soil and it's wet except for about 3 to 4 months mid summer to early fall. The ground gets hard and dry. It grows wild, and it grows in overgrown gardens which at one time had better soil. It seems to like a lot of sun here, but of course the sun is nowhere near as hot here. Not sure if colder winters have something to do with incubation. Basically it just grows here and we don't do anything to tend it.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:47 am

So I just did a little reading, and it does suggest that the seeds germinate over the winter. There are instructions how to artificially do this before planting. This might be helpful:

https://www.fws.gov/southwest/es/Docume ... ne2014.pdf
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:51 pm

Huntress13 wrote:So I just did a little reading, and it does suggest that the seeds germinate over the winter. There are instructions how to artificially do this before planting. This might be helpful:

https://www.fws.gov/southwest/es/Docume ... ne2014.pdf

Thanks, hopefully they give me pods this year.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:53 pm

I think freezing/thawing helps crack the seed case so it germinates in the spring. I've always suggested throwing seeds in the freezer for a week then putting in fridge for a week. Rinse and repeat until spring and you broadcast them.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:28 pm

Good stuff. I've got some seeds i wanted to try and plant as well that a fellow beast from MN sent me. Although i did get lucky and found a single pod on a piece of public this evening. My deer hunt turned into a milkweed hunt :lol: only found the one pod though. It's not like the ones I received from MN or I've seen other people post, the pod is long and skinny with just a little bit of milk and seeds in it.
20200125_170725.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:57 pm

I had some pics get moldy once...not enough air on dry pods and they got nasty.

Being lazy, I chucked them next to a telephone pole in the front yard....they didn't make it to the road like I hoped.

They come back every year now. And have spread into the neighbors landscaping on the property line. Being in the yard, mine got mowed....my neighbor was into birds and butterflies and she seems to like them. I don't know if she ever realized I stole the pods before fall lol.

You shouldn't have to do much to get them to grow well. They grow in the roadside ditches and drainage ditches of farm fields that isn't farmed. But they really seem to grow anywhere.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”