Why Anti Crossbow?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
cspot
500 Club

Re: Why Anti Crossbow?

Unread postby cspot » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:39 am

Kokes wrote:Here is the way I look at it.... Im not sure why so many are against crossbows:

- hunter numbers are decreasing across North America..its much easier to introduce someone to the sport with a crossbow
- most guys (and a few gals) I know (later onset hunters) start with a crossbow then they gradually move on to shoot compounds as they evolve as a hunter
- with the current price of housing and real estate..its hard to find a property that allows you the room to shoot 20-30+ yards and stay proficient with a regular bow, hence the necessity for a crossbow for some..
- the anti hunters are after us enough as it is already, so why are we dividing our seasons, dividing us hunters? we need to stay united or hunting will be a thing of the past
- the whole 100+ yard shots crossbow hunters get painted with the brush as taking, I dont know a single guy who does that, every guy I know who hunts crossbow is adamant about upgrading arrows, broadheads, etc for 20-30 yard accuracy, just like the rest of the regular bowhunters do
- many stated the benefits of a crossbow (always at full draw, scope, etc) but you only have one arrow with a crossbow..think about how many times you got a follow up arrow after a miss..that would not happen with a crossbow..

Pros and Cons to everything guys, lets keep our eye on the ball and ensure we are not dividing each other as hunters, we have enough liberal tree hugging anti's out there looking for any ammo we can give them to divide us even further...

I agree. I also think alot of the anti-crossbow stuff is just some people like to put down others so they can feel better about themselves. Some have a very elitist attitude.

I will add that states that keep data shows that the success rate for compound vs crossbow is very close with the crossbow showing a slight edge. The biggest disparity in success rate is traditional vs compound/crossbow.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:05 am

buttonbuck wrote:
Dewey wrote:I think most hardcore archers will say that they have no desire to hunt with a crossbow, are generally upset how it was suddenly jammed down our throat and feel it takes away from the tradition of the vertical bow season.

Don’t take that as me being anti-crossbow because I’m not but will say that I liked it better when it was only allowed for handicap permits and age 65+ hunters. Honestly I would have like to see the age limit lowered to 55 instead but that ship has sailed a long time ago.

I don’t care if guys choose a crossbow but what bothers me is guys that ONLY buy one because they heard they can double or even triple their shot range on a deer. Bow hunting is supposed to be a short range sport and that is the entire appeal to it. I also don’t like that some buy a crossbow just because they don’t want to take the time to be proficient with a vertical bow. Again the dedication to be a good archer is another trait that will be eventually lost. This saddens me more than anything. It’s heartbreaking to see the vertical bow hunters go away and it really makes me worried for the future of bowhunting.

So perhaps with all the tradition, practice and skill involved in vertical archery. It's hard to stomach competing with someone who is pulling a trigger in a competitive and sometimes short (state dependent) archery season. I can understand that.

My fear is eventually we will be looking at states going with one long general deer hunting season where any weapon is allowed. Hope I’m wrong about that but I do see that happening in my lifetime.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:26 am

What I don’t like about crossbows mainly are the price and the weights. I can buy a top of the line compound for $800-$900 but a top of the line crossbow seems to be $1,500 - $2,000. Then there’s the weight of them.

The other thing I don’t like is I know 2 guys who have killed bucks in the 160s to 180s that they openly say they couldn’t have killed with a regular compound bow. I have had bucks in that size range that I couldn’t shoot because I use a compound but I could have killed with a crossbow. So I am a tad envious to be honest. Not because of what they did but because of what I couldn’t do. I don’t know if that’s relevant to the argument or not...lol! Whatever that twisted logic is, it’s the same reason I don’t like millionaires...especially those that inherited their money. I wish I could change my attitude about that kind of stuff, but I can’t.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:36 am

Dewey wrote:
buttonbuck wrote:
Dewey wrote:I think most hardcore archers will say that they have no desire to hunt with a crossbow, are generally upset how it was suddenly jammed down our throat and feel it takes away from the tradition of the vertical bow season.

Don’t take that as me being anti-crossbow because I’m not but will say that I liked it better when it was only allowed for handicap permits and age 65+ hunters. Honestly I would have like to see the age limit lowered to 55 instead but that ship has sailed a long time ago.

I don’t care if guys choose a crossbow but what bothers me is guys that ONLY buy one because they heard they can double or even triple their shot range on a deer. Bow hunting is supposed to be a short range sport and that is the entire appeal to it. I also don’t like that some buy a crossbow just because they don’t want to take the time to be proficient with a vertical bow. Again the dedication to be a good archer is another trait that will be eventually lost. This saddens me more than anything. It’s heartbreaking to see the vertical bow hunters go away and it really makes me worried for the future of bowhunting.

So perhaps with all the tradition, practice and skill involved in vertical archery. It's hard to stomach competing with someone who is pulling a trigger in a competitive and sometimes short (state dependent) archery season. I can understand that.

My fear is eventually we will be looking at states going with one long general deer hunting season where any weapon is allowed. Hope I’m wrong about that but I do see that happening in my lifetime.

I don't see that happening until hunters numbers are really low. If they are that low then will it really matter?
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:39 am

mheichelbech wrote:What I don’t like about crossbows mainly are the price and the weights. I can buy a top of the line compound for $800-$900 but a top of the line crossbow seems to be $1,500 - $2,000. Then there’s the weight of them.

The other thing I don’t like is I know 2 guys who have killed bucks in the 160s to 180s that they openly say they couldn’t have killed with a regular compound bow. I have had bucks in that size range that I couldn’t shoot because I use a compound but I could have killed with a crossbow. So I am a tad envious to be honest. Not because of what they did but because of what I couldn’t do. I don’t know if that’s relevant to the argument or not...lol! Whatever that twisted logic is, it’s the same reason I don’t like millionaires...especially those that inherited their money. I wish I could change my attitude about that kind of stuff, but I can’t.

At one time in my life that stuff may have bothered me a bit, but not anymore. It is hard to explain but when you can give up being envious of others it can really make your own life alot more enjoyable. Not sure when that happened, but I would guess that has happened gradually over my lifetime.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:49 am

cspot wrote:
Dewey wrote:
buttonbuck wrote:

I don't see that happening until hunters numbers are really low. If they are that low then will it really matter?

Let’s just hope we never find out.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:53 am

Believe most guys form opinions on the situations that they personally face. At least I do. Feel if I was from almost any other state I would be a lot lest hostile about x bows. Seems most other states have a legit archery season.

For myself I have a 3 week archery season that I have to pay $50 dollars more for than a guy who chooses rifle and gets 2.5 months. They crammed youth rifle into archery cause lord forbid it cuts into the high dollar weekends of rifle. For the most part I can care less what a guy considers an accomplishment based on weaponry. I’m well aware of the fact some guys need to increase there odds by limited time in the field. But when you legalize equipment to remove the archery challenge and flood the woods with guys who otherwise wouldn’t be there during my brief archery season. Then couple that with they will pick up the rifle the first chance they get.... Well I get bitter. I’ve always heard season length was determined by difficulty of the weapon so I guess I get upset not understanding how in my case I get 3 weeks and a gunner gets 2.5 months.

Again I’m pro hunting and all about getting folks in the field. But just gonna be honest here man. My early season 3 week archery season has got screwed by guys who if vertical bows only was still implemented would just wait til the lengthy rifle.
Eat the donut not the hole!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:00 am

I'll do as I do and others can do as they want. Don't lose sleep over what others do and I especially don't care what they think of my decisions to use something thats legal. If you are truly upset about what someone else chooses to do, well then you probably have bigger issues to overcome.

If you don't like crossbows being legal, take it out on those who made it legal. Not the people who are getting out in the woods helping hunters grow as a group. We need everybody to stick together as hunters, not be a bunch of middle school girls and make little cliques because someone talked to the wrong guy or something dumb. Does absolutely nothing but hurt our future as it makes it easier for antis to come after us.

Compared to boogie however, I am spoiled to have 2 full months of archery hunting before the pumpkins arrive. And its not like I hunt areas overrun with hunters either.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:09 am

Jonny wrote:I'll do as I do and others can do as they want. Don't lose sleep over what others do and I especially don't care what they think of my decisions to use something thats legal. If you are truly upset about what someone else chooses to do, well then you probably have bigger issues to overcome.

If you don't like crossbows being legal, take it out on those who made it legal. Not the people who are getting out in the woods helping hunters grow as a group. We need everybody to stick together as hunters, not be a bunch of middle school girls and make little cliques because someone talked to the wrong guy or something dumb. Does absolutely nothing but hurt our future as it makes it easier for antis to come after us.

Compared to boogie however, I am spoiled to have 2 full months of archery hunting before the pumpkins arrive. And its not like I hunt areas overrun with hunters either.

Where are you from?
Brian1986

Unread postby Brian1986 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:26 am

I don't have a problem with crossbow hunting. I think there are lots of trade offs with a crossbow. They're heavy and a challenge to carry when you pack in your gear. When you are solid you can shoot a tight group, but in a tree stand I personally think its easier to aim my compound especially at awkward angles. I think its also easier to get on a deer in low light with a compound vs a crossbow scope. Same with a moving deer through thick cover... I think its easier getting on a deer with a compound than trying to find one in a crossbow scope. I think on the ground though a crossbow would be a big advantage when at eye level especially if you can use a rest and don't have to get the draw off. I think it is up to every hunter to determine how they want to challenge themselves.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:17 pm

Try not to get too caught up in what others think and say... if it’s legal I support it and the hunters that choose to use it. Legal hunting is a very personal matter to me, I don’t have the time or the need to worry about someone else’s agenda.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:27 pm

buttonbuck wrote:
Jonny wrote:I'll do as I do and others can do as they want. Don't lose sleep over what others do and I especially don't care what they think of my decisions to use something thats legal. If you are truly upset about what someone else chooses to do, well then you probably have bigger issues to overcome.

Where are you from?

Wisconsin
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:51 pm

Good stuff
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:55 pm

I can't tell you how many crossbow hunters have told me they like crossbows because they can shoot 75-100 yards.
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:06 pm

I see the idea posted a lot about crossbows being good for introducing youth or new hunters because it's easier. Why does it need to be easier? We tell ourselves we do it for the challenge and it's so hard but feel the need to make it easy for new people. And if bow hunting is too hard then rifle hunting isn't. Plus its more effective, efficient, and forgiving for young and new hunters. Just an arguement I have a hard time with. I have a son and when hes old enough to hunt with a compound he will bow hunt with me. Be it 14 or 20. He will rifle hunt before that I'm sure. And you can hunt with a kid without him/her shooting the weapon. Or take them squirell hunting with a 22 if you're worried about action and it be "easier".

The time thing never sat right with me. Bow hunting or any hunting is a time commitment. A major time commitment. Compounds are pretty dang easy once you get the feel for it. Honestly if I wanted to i could be good with less than 20 shots a year(I don't but could). Being completely honest I see it as an excuse.

With all that said I probably sound like a giant hater but I could care less what other people do or don't do. I would rather they weren't included in the archery season but never lost any sleep or cried over it thats just honestly how I see it in the most non judgmental way possible

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”