What Has Worked For You this Year?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
tundra@1

What Has Worked For You this Year?

Unread postby tundra@1 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:05 pm

I wanted to start a thread, on equipment, and tactics and what has worked for you this year. This year I tried some new ideas, and some I saw on You Tube, and others I came up with, because I am never satisfied, as long as I hear one squeak or creek. I am a noise freak. Picking even my hunting boots, they get the noise test, on my metal stands. I have found that para cord wrap on the stand makes the platform more quiet, and unlike using an old piece of carpet that I use to use, is better, and does not ice up on me, etc

I have LW, and XOP and my modified M7, which I must admit,, is a favorite. all stands were painted in the off season, with basic snow pattern of white and black. works great from leaf fall, till late season which is really my first love of going after deer with the bow...........

As many of you do I like the Stealth Strips, and have found another Sound Barrier product out of MI that works well. A must is to add on the 3rd hand archery bow holder,,,, its a no brainer, which I tried now this year, and will be ordering more for all of my set ups.

Also I like stick talons..... I have found nothing better, than using them on my stands and attach my sticks. I found them by chance, messing around on You Tube one night. I had never seen them advertised, nor at any hunting shows nothing..... they are a game changer for me......... no more screwing around with straps or cords. My biggest complaint was always getting out at night quietly and putting the sticks back on the hang ons, was always a pain,,,, no more

for those new at hang and hunt, pick a system and practice with it during the off season, so you can tweak it. If you make noise, find out why the noise was made and address it..... listen at almost 70 years of age, if I can do this, anyone can........

sometimes I only use one stick, because I just need to be up a few feet in the high grass areas I hunt, and I have to have a stand, that can adapt to very small trees,,,,

I would love to have the beast stand, but probably will never be able to get one... I have yet to pull the string on a buck his year, but have passed several. I am not that good of a hunter, just have a lot of time to hunt.... I get a charge, when a buck, hears no noise out of my set ups.......

good luck to all those out there now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, my belief in deer hunting is that unlike us, "it never gets old"

tundra@1

Re: What Has Worked For You this Year?

Unread postby tundra@1 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:31 pm

I also wanted to add is that for the last 2 years I have been using the back pack straps from XOP,,,, cheap and quiet and they work great for the carry. I had the Tree Stand Trans System, but since I use the M7 which is smaller than xop or lw, I did not need it and gave that away, to someone........

Another item I call monkey wire, which I found at the Wal Mart store. It is a quiet twistable multi use cord, black in color... at one time I used cable ties, but again they were noisy.... I hate to cut much on trees if I do not have too. I like to be a minimalist and think its a sin, to scar up a tree, and is not needed. with this twistable cord, I can quietly tie up some branches together, to keep my shooting area open.... and after the season or if I am moving on, untwist, and no harm to the tree..........

3rd Hand archery was at the Deer Classic last year, and they had stabilizer straps, I think they were 20.00 for 2 of them. Used for climbing stands. I do not use a climber, but I bought them. they are great for strapping just about anything up, and once tightened do not come loose. tested on my deer carts and sled this year, from doe deer, to decoys, to kayak etc, they work great.....
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:13 pm

Being extremely mobile in November.
If I wasn't seeing deer I packed up and moved has gotten me onto bucks.

3 beast sticks and Saddle super fast easy quiet setup. Lightweight mobility.

Being very observant of surroundings it's been so wet the last 4 weeks I only had 1 deer I've heard of about 12 I have seen.

My deer sightings have increased around thick areas.

Not parking where i hunt I'm kinda paranoid about other hunters and the human scent they leave in areas. If theres a hunters vehicle I'm not putting myself near his bad oder in the woods. As he walks through the woods his scent blows downwind and sticks to all vegetation every deer for a mile knows where he has been. By putting myself in areas without much human activity I've gotten onto more deer.

Not overpressuring areas I'd rather hunt a new area with no sign then hunt the same area I saw another hunters vehicle or I hunted recently. Theres been alot of my best areas ruined this year by others it's made me think outside the box. Always have a plan c-d and E . These tactics contributed to my success.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:48 am

Got something that didnt work this season. Bought a grunt tube this year. Cant remember the company but it was a “growler” type call. Dumb thing would freeze up on me and quit working. I think the same thing happened to a different grunt tube I used to own.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:53 am

This year I started using nite ize gear ties and they have proved to be extremely handy for multiple applications.

I run them through my molle system on my pack to carry heavy layer clothing/ saddle platform. I attach them to my harness to carry sticks up the tree with me in one shot for hang and hunts.

They can be used to hang my bag on the seat frame. I have used them to attach the tag to the deer after harvest.

They are silent and easy to use.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:01 am

What worked for me this year was my oldest daughter started bowhunting again. We did a lot of ghillie set ups and just had a really great time. She didn't arrow a buck yet (one last weekend to go) but we had several almost step on her. Had the most fun hunting this year - we had a barrel of laughs and just a good time hanging out together. Totally changed my hard driven attitude I have most years - and I still managed to put down to very mature bucks on public land and a couple does - freezer is full and so is my heart.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:47 am

I bought a spotting scope and used it a good bit in the summer. I located the bedding area I killed my Ohio buck out of this year and used it to help understand movement on that property.
Recurve6

Unread postby Recurve6 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:01 am

Focus on bedding and leeward side movement . Our southern deer don’t seem to have just a few beds - acres of pine thickets to choose from .. so I figured assuming all that is equal.. what is best adjacent cover to pines ... AND no hunter sign.. every time I walk in I’m seeing deer and this is hunting blind - I found out al this stuff too late to scout postseason last year Lomé I will be able to now .

That and seeing many more deer - almost ALL on leeward side has me convinced that’s the only place to be

My final thought from what I’ve learned - if I can see a lot I won’t see a thing - if I can’t see anything ... I’ll see a lot - the thickest you can find is where they are ...
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:13 am

I bought some gear that really kept me comfortable on stand: arctic shield boot blankets, goose down jacket with water resistant treatment, windproof midlayer, and XL fleece pajamas to pull on over my pants. With the boot blankets, I no longer wear heavy boots in (400 gram thinsulate tops) and stay warm. Packing all this in and putting on at stand was key to comfortable, good hunts. I also used a boatload of hothands adhesive body warmers. I also went to a rock climbing harness this year which works a lot better for me than my muddy 5 point harness.
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:42 pm

I had modified an M7 with XOP straps with hip belt, changed the receiver so it always stays on the stand (worst part about this great stand, and carrief 3-4 hawk helium sticks. It's a pretty good setup but can start to get heavy after a few miles of looking for hot sign to setup on.

Then my dad dragged out an old spirit loc on of his. I put my hands on it a knew I had to have one. So I bought one from one of the fine members of this community. Also got a 5 pack of wild edge steps to try out. Loved them. Made a CAYG aider so I could stretch them out. Got a cheaper sprayer harness and replacement seat, and of course a third hand bow holder and slapped them bad boys on there. It's my go to setup. So simple to hang. Can get just as high with wild edge and aiders. I can walk all day with it on my back. I likely will stealth strip it in the future to help quiet it down, but it's not so bad as long as I take my time.

I really want to get the beast stand, but may have to hold off because I would like to buy and setup a lighter rifle than I currently have.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:44 pm

I saw that beast stand this summer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, where was this when I was 30..... ha ha... if I can get one I will since I have about a 10 year window to live, I will pass it on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that is a great set up for me
Wader
Facebook: Dusty Varble

Unread postby Wader » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:46 pm

Wearing an IWOM suit. Its big, its bulky, its heavy to pack in. But i was 100% comfortable on days when everybody else was miserable. Only thing i have found to keep my feet warm also. No layering i have ever been able to do compares.

Using smoke as a cover scent. Not the first year using this, but it continues to work for me. Best thing i have done for my hunting since buying a treestand instead of just ground hunting.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:18 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Got something that didnt work this season. Bought a grunt tube this year. Cant remember the company but it was a “growler” type call. Dumb thing would freeze up on me and quit working. I think the same thing happened to a different grunt tube I used to own.

I used to use one but I can’t remember the name.. anyway it had a long tube (peep tube material) you could pin on your jacket near your mouth. You could inhale or exhale to grunt. When inhaling it would keep the moisture off the reed so it wouldn’t freeze up.

I just use my mouth to grunt now. It’s not to hard to master, I think Ted on THP does it as well.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:29 am

Nothing has worked for me :lol:. Tried it all this year still have a little time left . But if i had to give a answer i would have to say thinking outaide the box and dateing the fat chick got me close a few times. But i did some thing this season out of my comfort zone and learned from it so thats what worked for me in a sense.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:50 am

What has worked for me up to this point is getting a invite to some light pressured private :lol:

My own area always seems to be a journey. Some things always change and some never do. For me it’s about staying positive, sifting through the lesser deer, good timing, a lil luck and playing the game. Have a couple weeks left and feel it’s just a matter of time. Ride or die!
Eat the donut not the hole!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”