How do you cook your tenderloins and back straps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Nelson87
500 Club

Re: How do you cook your tenderloins and back straps

Unread postby Nelson87 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:23 pm

jwilkstn wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:
elk yinzer wrote:Olive oil, salt, pepper, fire. Why do more to ruin such a nice cut?

I agree, although I like to sprinkle lightly with Tonys.

I'm with y'all, except I prefer Montreal steak seasoning or sometimes work up my own blend. The grill execution is the key.

I reserve more ingredients for lower quality cuts of meat.

Yep. Gotta watch it like a hawk. Doesn't take long to go from perfect to catfood.
20191118_185650.jpg

Tenderloins and heart from my doe this year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:23 pm

Not sure why my pics end up sideways?
Lowcountry

Unread postby Lowcountry » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:I keep it pretty dang simple. A lil oil, salt and coarse black pepper cooked over extreme high heat.

Tenderloins usually are a chef sampler at my house while I’m waiting on something else.

Anyone tried grilling the flank? I enjoy beef flank steak but never thought to try venison. Just curious

^^This^^
berk51

Unread postby berk51 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:34 pm

I've become a huge fan of the sous vide for just about any meat, all wild game included. Just set it and forget it, perfect edge-to-edge medium rare (or whatever target temp you want). Quick sear in a cast iron skillet at the end to crisp the outside, and you're good to go.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:31 pm

Here is what I do to backstraps;

Cube them up into big bite size pieces. Salt and pepper and leave in ziplock in fridge for 2 days.

I then melt a very good amount of butter in cast iron pot on stove. I carmelize onions and then toss in the cube steaks and just sear the cubes while shuffling them around for a few minutes.

I cooked a bunch today for some non-hunters and they couldn’t believe how tender it was and couldn’t believe it was venison.

Don’t over complicate it! Salt and pepper and onions and butter is all that’s needed...
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:56 pm

On big deer I cut each backstrap into 3 sections and then freeze them whole. Each one goes on the grill the same way cooked medium rare then sliced as I eat them and served with mushrooms/onions fried in butter. So much easier to cook them this way and not overcook them like you can do making butterfly steaks. I like the whole strap slightly charred outside and bloody in the middle.

Tenderloins get cut into bite size pieces then cooked in butter with onions/mushrooms as well.

I like to keep it simple and don’t care for any seasoning except maybe a pinch of Lawry’s once in awhile.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:50 pm

may21581 wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:Marinade in worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, honey, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper and light salt. Grill on the pellet grill.

Used your recipe tonight, let me tell you it was fantastic! I also sauted an onion with portabella mushrooms, garlic salt butter, oil and had this with the steaks. If I had to chose a last meal this is on the menu. Washed it down with a cold one and wow!

Glad to hear. I like venison a lot of different ways, but this is definitely a staple in the rotation.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:31 am

Lots of seasoning and slow grill. Eat them right off the grill. I have wrapped in bacon too for a treat.
Pudster
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Pudster » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:48 am

Dewey wrote:On big deer I cut each backstrap into 3 sections and then freeze them whole. Each one goes on the grill the same way cooked medium rare then sliced as I eat them and served with mushrooms/onions fried in butter. So much easier to cook them this way and not overcook them like you can do making butterfly steaks. I like the whole strap slightly charred outside and bloody in the middle.

Tenderloins get cut into bite size pieces then cooked in butter with onions/mushrooms as well.

I like to keep it simple and don’t care for any seasoning except maybe a pinch of Lawry’s once in awhile.

I do the same with my backstraps, but for older deer I will marinade them in "Alegro" marinade for 24 or 48 hours. Really seems to tenderize them while adding a unique flavor. Tenderloins I grill whole with just some seasoning. I found an all purpose venison seasoning at fleet farm made by back forty that I like, but you have to use it lightly.
Pudster
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Pudster » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:50 am

OH nontypical wrote:Lots of seasoning and slow grill. Eat them right off the grill. I have wrapped in bacon too for a treat.

Hmmm, I do the opposite, super hot grill, for 6-8" hunk of loin on super hot grill I cook for 5 minutes, flip and close lid for another 5 minutes, I usually pull it off and rest for 10 minutes, perfect every time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:53 am

Pudster wrote:
OH nontypical wrote:Lots of seasoning and slow grill. Eat them right off the grill. I have wrapped in bacon too for a treat.

Hmmm, I do the opposite, super hot grill, for 6-8" hunk of loin on super hot grill I cook for 5 minutes, flip and close lid for another 5 minutes, I usually pull it off and rest for 10 minutes, perfect every time.

Resting is the key especially with leaner cuts of meat like venison. Lets the internal juices evenly distribute.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”