Preferred Butchering Cuts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
The Mediocre Hunter
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:11 pm
Location: East Central Oklahoma
Status: Offline

Re: Preferred Butchering Cuts

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:00 pm

brancher147 wrote:
The Mediocre Hunter wrote:
brancher147 wrote:I debone gutless method in the field and usually separate everything then so when I get home it's ready to go and saves a lot of time. I grind most into burger and freeze as burger or sausage, or then do jerky with a jerky gun. Usually pressure can one deer a year. I freeze some for stew meat already cut up. Backstraps I cut into quart bag size pieces and freeze with silverskin on (I figure it helps from getting freezer burnt and is just as easy to cut off later). Inner loins rarely make it to the freezer. I remove all fat and silverskin before processing (except backstraps as mentioned). I don't do any steaks or roasts as we just don't use that stuff. I usually do 6-8 deer per year and a bear usually every other year or so.


Is your stew meat the pieces that have the sinew and silver skin marbled into the meat? I have a lot that I keep trimming and just find it marbled like that.


We don’t get any marbling on our deer. They mostly have no fat as it’s mature forest here and they are running up and down mountains all year. Stew meat is just trimmed meat from hams or shoulders.


What I was referring to is not true marbling, I meant like the silver skin intertwined with some cross cuts. This deer had alot more fat than I thought he'd have. It's making a chore of trimming of the fat. Well I say that but haven't had another one to compare it. Lol.


The Mediocre Hunter
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:11 pm
Location: East Central Oklahoma
Status: Offline

Re: Preferred Butchering Cuts

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:02 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
The Mediocre Hunter wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I prefer to process the whole sucker at once and be done with it. Mainly cause my wife gives me a earful for making a mess. I pull the tenders, cut the back strap in half (so I have 4 packaged individually) cut some good steaks, cut off the shanks, pull the small flat iron steaks off the shoulders, cut off head & neck along with 1 shoulder and give to a Hispanic lady down the road in exchange for some tamales, debone the rest and grind it about 70/30 with beef fat.

I don’t have a band saw I use a old wood handled butchers saw. A good variety of sharp knives also comes in handy imo.


I'll look up pictures of the flat iron steaks you're talking about. I guess I threw them in the grind pile.
I don’t know if it’s on any deer processing stuff. I worked at a meat locker through high school, on beef it’s called a flat iron. Small side of shoulder, scrape it off shoulder blade with a knife. Not very big on deer, but tender with good flavor. Both sides are 1 serving for me.


I'll have to be more mindful of it next time. I can't figure out which pieces of meat they were.
The Mediocre Hunter
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:11 pm
Location: East Central Oklahoma
Status: Offline

Re: Preferred Butchering Cuts

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:11 pm

EllieTheChubb wrote:
I cut off any connective tissue thats flapping and remove the big tendons. Then cut into long strips. the size is deternimed by the hopper on the grinder. You want it to easily drop in. With the long strips it will self feed. Scraps can be as small as you like but you'll need to use a plunger to get it into the auger.
If you have a stand mixer buy the meat grinder atrachment. It works well. a little small but makes short work. Much cheaper than buying a seperate grinder and electric motor and is about 3"x6"x8" so it's easy to store and basically no setup. Also dishwasher safe. Mines about 30 years old and It cuts through sinew like its not even there.


That's what I have. I also have a small plunger. I was more worried about wasting meet by trying to filet all the sinew and skin off.
The Mediocre Hunter
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:11 pm
Location: East Central Oklahoma
Status: Offline

Re: Preferred Butchering Cuts

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:16 pm

tundra@1 wrote:How do you make a mess cutting a deer up? What do you need a band saw for???????????? many years ago I took a butchering class at a local tech school and I learned a lot................... I just did a deer last week, the whole deer, with a Havalon replaceable blade knife,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, good advice on some of the posts,,,,,,,, go look at the bearded butchers, for those who have no clue or are just learning................................ the last thing I would do is waste a good deer, by grinding it all up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that's a joke


I referred to the bandsaw because I've seen allot of steaks that have the bone in the middle. I love steaks as much as the next guy but I really love a variety of meals and ways meat can be prepared. I just didn't want that to be the first thing that might be referred to me to do. Butchering class would be great but YouTube has been a good teacher as well. Haven't looked at the bearded butchers yet but will.
Djbradles
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:53 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Preferred Butchering Cuts

Unread postby Djbradles » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:36 pm

The bearded butchers put together a great tutorial. The other nice part is the mic and video work. Very clear.

I’m processing my second deer in several days. It’s hanging now in the skin. My last one was butchered into roasts, many lbs of diced/minced to be ground, and backstraps steaks. This next deer I’m gonna get a little fancy and follow the Scott Rea Project. His butchering technique is top notch and makes my mouth water with the final presentation. Granted he’s working with a roe deer the size of a yote, I’m still keen on doing the same thing. While it sucks time away and is some tough work, I still wanna process the whole beast as part of the hunt.

Prebanman- did you find the butcher you were looking for in your area?
“The earth is the Lord’s and the fullness thereof”
User avatar
Boogieman1
500 Club
Posts: 5789
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Preferred Butchering Cuts

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:04 pm

tundra@1 wrote:How do you make a mess cutting a deer up? What do you need a band saw for???????????? many years ago I took a butchering class at a local tech school and I learned a lot................... I just did a deer last week, the whole deer, with a Havalon replaceable blade knife,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, good advice on some of the posts,,,,,,,, go look at the bearded butchers, for those who have no clue or are just learning................................ the last thing I would do is waste a good deer, by grinding it all up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that's a joke


Can only say how I get accused of making a mess. Leaving grinder blades/ knives in sink, deer hide and bones in trash can and a bit of blood on my clothing and shoes. No offense but I’ve never seen a single person in the meat industry who uses a disposable knife and I’ve met a lot of em. To each there own but to me that like is like a restaurant dealing in plastic silverware. When I process a deer I do it in a compromise so everyone gets a lil something they enjoy. My lil girl happens to enjoy burger the most, so although it’s not my first option I’m not gonna tell her it’s bush league or a joke. I didn’t take any offense to it just saying diff strokes for diff folks. I know guys who make jerky from backstraps cause it’s easy to slice. They enjoy it so good for them, I know others who pay to get it processed then it sits in there freezer and they never touch it. I frown way more on that then a guy with a serious venison burger fetish. Also know folks who will buy a prime ribeye and cook it well done lol.
Eat the donut not the hole!
The Mediocre Hunter
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:11 pm
Location: East Central Oklahoma
Status: Offline

Re: Preferred Butchering Cuts

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:25 pm

Djbradles wrote:The bearded butchers put together a great tutorial. The other nice part is the mic and video work. Very clear.

I’m processing my second deer in several days. It’s hanging now in the skin. My last one was butchered into roasts, many lbs of diced/minced to be ground, and backstraps steaks. This next deer I’m gonna get a little fancy and follow the Scott Rea Project. His butchering technique is top notch and makes my mouth water with the final presentation. Granted he’s working with a roe deer the size of a yote, I’m still keen on doing the same thing. While it sucks time away and is some tough work, I still wanna process the whole beast as part of the hunt.

Prebanman- did you find the butcher you were looking for in your area?


Yes it's very time consuming. I started 11 hours ago. Just finished. Obviously with more experience and know how I'll shave alot of hours later. Do you hang it in a walk in cooler? I ended up having to have mine covered in ice and draining for a few days. Don't know if that's not as advised but from what I've read it's a method ppl have used in a pinch. Also what's the benefit of keeping the skin on? Is it just to prevent rind formation?
The Mediocre Hunter
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:11 pm
Location: East Central Oklahoma
Status: Offline

Re: Preferred Butchering Cuts

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:33 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Can only say how I get accused of making a mess. Leaving grinder blades/ knives in sink, deer hide and bones in trash can and a bit of blood on my clothing and shoes. No offense but I’ve never seen a single person in the meat industry who uses a disposable knife and I’ve met a lot of em. To each there own but to me that like is like a restaurant dealing in plastic silverware. When I process a deer I do it in a compromise so everyone gets a lil something they enjoy. My lil girl happens to enjoy burger the most, so although it’s not my first option I’m not gonna tell her it’s bush league or a joke. I didn’t take any offense to it just saying diff strokes for diff folks. I know guys who make jerky from backstraps cause it’s easy to slice. They enjoy it so good for them, I know others who pay to get it processed then it sits in there freezer and they never touch it. I frown way more on that then a guy with a serious venison burger fetish. Also know folks who will buy a prime ribeye and cook it well done lol.


Thankfully my wife had washed the knives and cutting board by the time I had finished washing the table and taking the bones out to the dumpster. I do like a mean Burger though. Lol
The Mediocre Hunter
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:11 pm
Location: East Central Oklahoma
Status: Offline

Re: Preferred Butchering Cuts

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:38 pm

Dewey wrote:I trim it off the neck bone.


Is this kind of what you were talking about? This is the third one I did, smaller than the first two but it's basically a long piece of meat now. Trimmed up the little fat it had on it and ligaments, Then, I Just rolled it up to vacuum seal it.
IMG_20191213_190336.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 33323
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Preferred Butchering Cuts

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:45 pm

The Mediocre Hunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:I trim it off the neck bone.


Is this kind of what you were talking about? This is the third one I did, smaller than the first two but it's basically a long piece of meat now. Trimmed up the little fat it had on it and ligaments, Then, I Just rolled it up to vacuum seal it.IMG_20191213_190336.jpg

Yep. That’s what I do.
The Mediocre Hunter
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:11 pm
Location: East Central Oklahoma
Status: Offline

Re: Preferred Butchering Cuts

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:48 pm

Dewey wrote:
The Mediocre Hunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:I trim it off the neck bone.


Is this kind of what you were talking about? This is the third one I did, smaller than the first two but it's basically a long piece of meat now. Trimmed up the little fat it had on it and ligaments, Then, I Just rolled it up to vacuum seal it.IMG_20191213_190336.jpg

Yep. That’s what I do.


Thank you for the info.
User avatar
treeroot
500 Club
Posts: 1021
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:55 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Preferred Butchering Cuts

Unread postby treeroot » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:15 pm

My buddy cans the entire deer. I'm never tried it, but he'll do 3-4 a year in cans.

I cut mine into meal portions. A meal portion for me is anything I can throw on the pellet smoker when i get home from work. Backstraps size depending get cut into 2-3 chunks. Rear legs get cut into a roast or two. The rest cut enough so one chunk equals a meal. Little scraps and front legs usually end up in burger for spaghetti sauces. If I get 2 deer in a year the second gets the same minus a bunch cut for jerky. Someday I'm going to pull the trigger and try my hand at making hotdogs.

Unfortunately with everything I have going on, I don't get the drink a few beers and grill all day time I used to.
bigredneck61088
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:11 pm
Location: OH/PA
Status: Offline

Re: Preferred Butchering Cuts

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:25 pm

I get my back straps out, then everything else hits the grinder... not by my choice, wife prefers ground for versatility and not a battle I’m willing to debate at this point!
User avatar
brancher147
500 Club
Posts: 1128
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:46 am
Location: West Virginia
Status: Offline

Re: Preferred Butchering Cuts

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:11 pm

tundra@1 wrote:How do you make a mess cutting a deer up? What do you need a band saw for???????????? many years ago I took a butchering class at a local tech school and I learned a lot................... I just did a deer last week, the whole deer, with a Havalon replaceable blade knife,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, good advice on some of the posts,,,,,,,, go look at the bearded butchers, for those who have no clue or are just learning................................ the last thing I would do is waste a good deer, by grinding it all up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that's a joke


Why is it a joke to grind a whole deer? I can do 100 different things with burger or sausage it’s very versatile for many different dishes. Not to mention it’s good for burgers. And I give a good bit away to family and landowners and ground meat is usually what they want. I grind 2 or 3 or more a year. That’s what we use the most.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
The Mediocre Hunter
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:11 pm
Location: East Central Oklahoma
Status: Offline

Re: Preferred Butchering Cuts

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:42 am

treeroot wrote:My buddy cans the entire deer. I'm never tried it, but he'll do 3-4 a year in cans.

I cut mine into meal portions. A meal portion for me is anything I can throw on the pellet smoker when i get home from work. Backstraps size depending get cut into 2-3 chunks. Rear legs get cut into a roast or two. The rest cut enough so one chunk equals a meal. Little scraps and front legs usually end up in burger for spaghetti sauces. If I get 2 deer in a year the second gets the same minus a bunch cut for jerky. Someday I'm going to pull the trigger and try my hand at making hotdogs.

Unfortunately with everything I have going on, I don't get the drink a few beers and grill all day time I used to.


I've never had canned venison. Are front legs always for ground? I had a hard time getting any pieces off the front legs that I felt were good for anything else.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <BLJ>, brewster_239, HuntMeister, Muskyhunter, tim, twofingers, Wimiuser and 17 guests