Preferred Butchering Cuts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Re: Preferred Butchering Cuts

Unread postby Cchez » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:23 am

Our hunting camp always gets together and process together at my uncles garage. We cut out the back straps and cut them into 2" or so thick chops. Cut out all the roasts, no steaks. Neck meat and everything else is ground up into burger since thats what the majority of the group likes.

brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:28 am

I debone gutless method in the field and usually separate everything then so when I get home it's ready to go and saves a lot of time. I grind most into burger and freeze as burger or sausage, or then do jerky with a jerky gun. Usually pressure can one deer a year. I freeze some for stew meat already cut up. Backstraps I cut into quart bag size pieces and freeze with silverskin on (I figure it helps from getting freezer burnt and is just as easy to cut off later). Inner loins rarely make it to the freezer. I remove all fat and silverskin before processing (except backstraps as mentioned). I don't do any steaks or roasts as we just don't use that stuff. I usually do 6-8 deer per year and a bear usually every other year or so.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:54 am

Ok so does everyone agree with just grinding the neck? Or does anyone do roasts with it? I have it cut into the sections now and want to decide if cut it up for ground, or leave bone in or debone for roasts. I've been working on getting the fat and silver skin off of the chunks I took off the hind leg but seems like there's always more that shows up. Don't want to over do it but don't want to leave stuff on there that will make the meat end up bad. Also noticed that as the meat gets warmer the harder it is to trim. Do you guys see this or is my mind making this up?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:04 am

The Mediocre Hunter wrote:Ok so does everyone agree with just grinding the neck? Or does anyone do roasts with it? I have it cut into the sections now and want to decide if cut it up for ground, or leave bone in or debone for roasts. I've been working on getting the fat and silver skin off of the chunks I took off the hind leg but seems like there's always more that shows up. Don't want to over do it but don't want to leave stuff on there that will make the meat end up bad. Also noticed that as the meat gets warmer the harder it is to trim. Do you guys see this or is my mind making this up?

I prefer the neck in roasts. Way too much connecting tissue especially on a big buck to trim off for burger. In a slow cooker a lot of that connecting tissue either melts away or separates from the neck muscles leaving some nice tender meat. Perfect for sandwiches.
Cold or slightly frozen meat trims way easier. Anytime it softens up too much it’s much more difficult to work with. When that happens I throw it in the freezer for a bit till it firms up again.
When I trim for burger only pure red meat goes in the grinder. In the end you will have much better tasting burger. It’s very time consuming but worth the effort.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:09 am

Dewey wrote:
The Mediocre Hunter wrote:Ok so does everyone agree with just grinding the neck? Or does anyone do roasts with it? I have it cut into the sections now and want to decide if cut it up for ground, or leave bone in or debone for roasts. I've been working on getting the fat and silver skin off of the chunks I took off the hind leg but seems like there's always more that shows up. Don't want to over do it but don't want to leave stuff on there that will make the meat end up bad. Also noticed that as the meat gets warmer the harder it is to trim. Do you guys see this or is my mind making this up?

I prefer the neck in roasts. Way too much connecting tissue especially on a big buck to trim off for burger. In a slow cooker a lot of that connecting tissue either melts away or separates from the neck muscles leaving some nice tender meat. Perfect for sandwiches.
Cold or slightly frozen meat trims way easier. Anytime it softens up too much it’s much more difficult to work with. When that happens I throw it in the freezer for a bit till it firms up again.
When I trim for burger only pure red meat goes in the grinder. In the end you will have much better tasting burger. It’s very time consuming but worth the effort.

Sounds good. Do I leave the bone in the neck?

And ok on the grind pile. I'll have to trim more on those pieces. Do you mix the deer grind with some pork or anything while packaging or just package it pure?
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:38 am

The Mediocre Hunter wrote:Ok. What about the silver skin?

Here's the main parts I got off the hind quarter. Is the rest just grindreceived_513322212726496.jpeg pile?

Same as fat. I try to get as much silver skin off as possible
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
strehb18

Unread postby strehb18 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:46 am

If you're doing it yourself, I would recommend leaving it in as big of pieces as you can. When you cut steaks and package them that way, you create more surface area to get freezer burned.

Some simple tips is keep the shanks whole. Maybe the best part of the whole deer. I'd also suggest plastic wrap then freezer paper on all cuts except what will be ground. The plastic wrap makes keeping air of the meat very easy. Simple and cheap too.
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:01 am

In my opinion, this is one of the better how-to deer processing series I've ever come across on YT. Found it many years ago, and still watch it before the season every year as a little refresher. I know there are a million different ways to go about it, but this one is great for educational purposes and explaining the different cuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aD43mDtk70
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5DoFyERrgw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wyVLXwqIdE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePci87C10GM
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:05 am

The Mediocre Hunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:

And ok on the grind pile. I'll have to trim more on those pieces. Do you mix the deer grind with some pork or anything while packaging or just package it pure?

I trim it off the neck bone.

As far as adding pork I don’t do that. I like pure venison. Just rough grind first and fine grind next and the burger holds together well without any fillers.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:40 am

Dewey wrote:
Dewey wrote:

As far as adding pork I don’t do that. I like pure venison. Just rough grind first and fine grind next and the burger holds together well without any fillers.

I grind the neck. I leave the sirloin and a rounds whole so theres plenty of better roasts.

I'll debone and trim all the fat off but dont worry about connective tissue. This goes for all scraps aswell. Then straight into the grinder. I'm sure it depends on your grinder. Some folks think the sinue clogs everything up. Ive found if everythings cold theres no issue. Put your grinder in the freezer and the meat ideally is right at the point of freezing. It just makes everything easier (and safer from a food safety perspective).

I dont add fat to my burger or sausage either. When I started out years ago I added pork fat back but over they years added less and less. About 5 years ago I started doing straight vennison and I honestly think its better.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:09 am

Racks&Beards wrote:In my opinion, this is one of the better how-to deer processing series I've ever come across on YT. Found it many years ago, and still watch it before the season every year as a little refresher. I know there are a million different ways to go about it, but this one is great for educational purposes and explaining the different cuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aD43mDtk70
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5DoFyERrgw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wyVLXwqIdE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePci87C10GM

Thank you. I'll get to watching them also.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:11 am

Dewey wrote:
Dewey wrote:

That's good to know. And just clarify, are you saying mix the rough grind and the fine grind or, fine grind what I've already rough ground and that makes or hold together without the fillers?
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:15 am

brancher147 wrote:I debone gutless method in the field and usually separate everything then so when I get home it's ready to go and saves a lot of time. I grind most into burger and freeze as burger or sausage, or then do jerky with a jerky gun. Usually pressure can one deer a year. I freeze some for stew meat already cut up. Backstraps I cut into quart bag size pieces and freeze with silverskin on (I figure it helps from getting freezer burnt and is just as easy to cut off later). Inner loins rarely make it to the freezer. I remove all fat and silverskin before processing (except backstraps as mentioned). I don't do any steaks or roasts as we just don't use that stuff. I usually do 6-8 deer per year and a bear usually every other year or so.

Is your stew meat the pieces that have the sinew and silver skin marbled into the meat? I have a lot that I keep trimming and just find it marbled like that.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:17 am

Dewey wrote:
Dewey wrote:

That's good to know. And just clarify, are you saying mix the rough grind and the fine grind or, fine grind what I've already rough ground and that makes or hold together without the fillers?

I grind once with a coarse plate then send it thru again using a fine plate. I like doing it that way especially for venison burgers because they press better and hold together. For chili or other burger the rough grind is plenty.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:18 am

strehb18 wrote:If you're doing it yourself, I would recommend leaving it in as big of pieces as you can. When you cut steaks and package them that way, you create more surface area to get freezer burned.

Some simple tips is keep the shanks whole. Maybe the best part of the whole deer. I'd also suggest plastic wrap then freezer paper on all cuts except what will be ground. The plastic wrap makes keeping air of the meat very easy. Simple and cheap too.

How do you do the shank whole without taking off the silver skin? Or does it not matter much on that either? And do you only do the plastic wrap/butcher paper and no vacuum seal? I'm trying to do a mixture of it and see if I can tell a difference later.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”