Preferred Butchering Cuts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
The Mediocre Hunter

Preferred Butchering Cuts

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:48 am

Hey guys, for those of you that prefer to process your own deer. What are your preferred butchering cuts for the process. Do you prefer to cut out the muscle groups and freeze them that way or do you go ahead and cut them into serving sizes? I guess guys that take them to a precessor can chime in if you want. The reason I asked about self processors is because some guys I won't be able to do without a band saw and such. I cut the neck into 3 roasts and obviously the quarters, backstraps, loins. Also saved one rack of ribs. I was thinking of cutting the muscle groups in the legs and the backstraps into maybe thirds, but curious as to how you guys do it.

Edcyclopedia

Re: Preferred Butchering Cuts

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:17 am

I get mine in Roasts - everything else is scraps and grind my own burger...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
MNarrow

Unread postby MNarrow » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:21 am

As much I can turn into steaks - loins, backstraps, hind quarters.

Used to give the front quarters and neck to my parents and they would get sausage made. I bought a grinder this year and will start grinding some burger.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:26 am

If I’m doing it myself I keep the muscle intact. Never know how I want to cook it.

When my dad or grandpa do it, asking to leave muscles whole is like renouncing Jesus Christ to the pope. So I get steaks and if I don’t want steaks, I get steaks anyways.

I actually do way more stew/stroganoff/beef tips type meals than grilling venison. Personal preference. Or country fried steak style in the cast iron.

I’d rather have one hunk of meat I can do 10 different things with than planning meals 6months in advance.
"Get busy living or get busy dying"
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:30 am

For me personally, the backstraps get butterflied into steaks & 1 or 2 small roasts. The rest is de-boned into the individual muscle groups, vacuum sealed, and frozen. From there I can thaw them and break them down further if needed for whatever application I need at a later time....which is just making a ton of jerky 99% of the time.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:31 am

I leave it in whole muscle groups because then you have flexibility to cut it into steaks later, smoke it whole, stuff it, cook as a roast, etc. Bearded Butchers have a couple great youtube videos on breaking down a deer into whole muscle groups. I learned a lot from them. I have a few packages from last year that I cut into steaks when packaging (by mistake) and when I planned on making bacon wrapped & stuffed backstrap, I was disappointed to find I had already cut them into chops.....
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:40 am

Awesome stuff guys. Do you guys cut all the far off of it or leave it on?
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:44 am

get rid of as much fat as you can prior to cooking it. It tastes bitter. Sometimes I will freeze it knowing I need to do some final trimming prior to cooking it
nsmith253

Unread postby nsmith253 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:11 am

Jonny wrote:If I’m doing it myself I keep the muscle intact. Never know how I want to cook it.

Similar to what I do. I used to cut the steaks etc. into serving sizes, but then you're limiting what you can do with it later on. I package the ground stuff into 1-2 lb bags
Nate
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:15 am

The Mediocre Hunter wrote:Awesome stuff guys. Do you guys cut all the far off of it or leave it on?

Yep. I try to get as much fat off as possible before freezing
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:46 am

Ok. What about the silver skin?

Here's the main parts I got off the hind quarter. Is the rest just grind
received_513322212726496.jpeg
pile?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:00 am

Eye round I leave whole. Great grilled to med rare, I think it's better than backstrap.

Bottom round usually cut in half. Pretty good grilled as a roast. I often shave thin for cheesteaks, stir fry, or tacos.

Top round I leave whole and usually turn it into jerky. Sometimes corned or pastrami.

Sirloin and rump I generally grind just to get more of the burger which we use a ton of.

Shanks I leave whole and braise, my favorite part of a deer.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:07 am

elk yinzer wrote:
Shanks I leave whole and braise, my favorite part of a deer.

I've been hearing quite a bit of this. I'm going to have to save them and try them. I'll wrap those on freezer wrap and butcher paper.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:41 am

Consider processing as part of the hunt and enjoy it. But do keep things very simple. Do up to 6 or 7 deer a year some years when we have guests hunt with us.

Do roasts, steaks, stew meat and burger.
- The roasts are the larger muscle sections off the hams.
- Steaks come out of the muscle sections of hams and backstraps.
- Stew meat comes off the meat that doesn't feel tender to touch - often backstraps and some of the muscle groups such as eye of round.
- Grind everything else - neck, shoulders, scraps, and as much of the other stuff as warranted - we use ground meat the most and folks tend to prefer ground meat as a gift along with B-I-L's chili recipe.

The majority of the silverskin gets removed - use a fillet knife to process, bone, steak, trim, etc. Have Dexter Russell knives w 6-7-9 inch blades and will cut steaks an inch or so wide. Easy to remove silverskin like taking skin off fish fillet. A little/some silverskin doesn't hurt steaks, roasts, stew meat or the grind. Wear cutting glove on off hand just in case.

Have a system that works for me - deer in cooler 7-10 days, then take an evening and go to town in kitchen monopolizing counters and double sink. Bone and section quarters, chose what meat goes where. Steak, stew, and trim up roasts, cut rest into strips & chunks for grinder. Grind meat - all the steaks, stew, roasts & grind go into large stainless bowls and maybe stock pots if necessary. Then once done "processing" the meat, we package it - wife gets involved with Quart ziplocks, freezer paper, scale and sharpie. Usually pack grind about 18 oz, stew about 24 oz, and steaks based on what looks like a good meal - usually around a pound. Sometimes pack stuff with vacuum packer but the meat lasts 2 years without it if kept in a non-defrosting type freezer.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:55 am

[quote="elk yinzer"]Eye round I leave whole. Great grilled to med rare, I think it's better than backstrap.

2nd this. I make french dips with this cut reverse seared over charcoal and it is amazing!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”