Cwd positive

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
EllieTheChubb
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:22 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Cwd positive

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:01 pm

tim wrote:I have never nor will I ever test any deer I kill. Especially if it was from my property. Why so when they decide they wanna start eradicating again they target my area uhh no thanks. I’m no more concerned today than I was when all this fed talk started.


First of all game is managed by the state not the feds 2nd the state's first priority is healthy herds so your refusal to participate is only hurting yourself.


User avatar
JakeB
500 Club
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:33 pm
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline

Re: Cwd positive

Unread postby JakeB » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:36 pm

stash59 wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:So some of you eat it and don't worry and others you rhrow it out? Here in PA i feel like we're maybe 10 years behind you guys in this CWD battle. They sent in shooters to cull our deer back and way too many tags being given out. 2 does last year off my family farm were positive. I shot a nice 8 and i didn't get him tested, i ate him and didn't care. He seemed perfectly healthy, he was probably 3.5 years old. Now I just read a proposal that includes getting a 2nd buck tag because studies show bucks more likely to carry the disease than does. Things are getting nuts around here. :violin:

Did hunter numbers in Wisconsin go down significantly with the CWD? We lost about 30,000 i believe in 2017-2018.


This is what I don't get. Wisconsin showed that trying to thin the herd had no effect on lessening CWD. Yet all of these states just starting to get it. Are going down the same road. Why are they so ignorant. That professor at Penn State seems to be behind alot of it. Rehashing stuff WI already figured out. He's guaranteed himself a paycheck for a few years!!!!!


Ohh man just wait until we get it in Louisiana.. it’s going to be a crap show...
Jmitch
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:52 am
Status: Offline

Re: Cwd positive

Unread postby Jmitch » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:04 am

rfickes87 wrote:So some of you eat it and don't worry and others you rhrow it out? Here in PA i feel like we're maybe 10 years behind you guys in this CWD battle. They sent in shooters to cull our deer back and way too many tags being given out. 2 does last year off my family farm were positive. I shot a nice 8 and i didn't get him tested, i ate him and didn't care. He seemed perfectly healthy, he was probably 3.5 years old. Now I just read a proposal that includes getting a 2nd buck tag because studies show bucks more likely to carry the disease than does. Things are getting nuts around here. :violin:

Did hunter numbers in Wisconsin go down significantly with the CWD? We lost about 30,000 i believe in 2017-2018.

Everybody makes the choice to eat or not for themselves. Right now I'm not going to eat it or feed it to my kids or anybody else. If we were starving I'd probably skip testing and just go for it but we are most definitely not. Pretty much every major health organization in the world says to not eat it at this point so I personally feel its not worth however small the risk might be. May be a little too cautious but that's fine with me. Wouldn't blame anybody for doing the opposite of me.

When it first hit it changed things dramatically. The area that was hit hardest went from a 9 day gun season to like 4 months long with unlimited free tags. Hunter numbers went down and lots of people moved to different cwd free areas mostly northern Wisconsin big woods causing eventual herd declines in that area too. We went thru the whole sharpshooters over bait at night crap too. The used to call the core area the eradication area and had a goal to kill basically everything that moved and hold at that level for a decade or better. Needless to say hunter interest fell off a cliff and they scrap that plan
We are 15 or so years beyond that now and the herd in some areas is back to close to where it was the the disease keeps progressing farther and father each year. My area wasn't included in the original cores area but is now one of the higher prevalence areas. Doesn't seems like there is much to be done beside let it play out and monitor from what I see
Jmitch
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:52 am
Status: Offline

Re: Cwd positive

Unread postby Jmitch » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:57 am

stash59 wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:So some of you eat it and don't worry and others you rhrow it out? Here in PA i feel like we're maybe 10 years behind you guys in this CWD battle. They sent in shooters to cull our deer back and way too many tags being given out. 2 does last year off my family farm were positive. I shot a nice 8 and i didn't get him tested, i ate him and didn't care. He seemed perfectly healthy, he was probably 3.5 years old. Now I just read a proposal that includes getting a 2nd buck tag because studies show bucks more likely to carry the disease than does. Things are getting nuts around here. :violin:

Did hunter numbers in Wisconsin go down significantly with the CWD? We lost about 30,000 i believe in 2017-2018.


This is what I don't get. Wisconsin showed that trying to thin the herd had no effect on lessening CWD. Yet all of these states just starting to get it. Are going down the same road. Why are they so ignorant. That professor at Penn State seems to be behind alot of it. Rehashing stuff WI already figured out. He's guaranteed himself a paycheck for a few years!!!!!

I know. You would think states would learn from each other. Every state does essentially the same thing when they find cwd. Go into massive herd reduction mode until that doesn't work anymore then go back to normal and monitor. Look at all the states out west they basically ran the same playbook with little to no effect and everyone else has followed suit with the same results
tim
500 Club
Posts: 2606
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:43 am
Status: Offline

Re: Cwd positive

Unread postby tim » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:34 am

EllieTheChubb wrote:
tim wrote:I have never nor will I ever test any deer I kill. Especially if it was from my property. Why so when they decide they wanna start eradicating again they target my area uhh no thanks. I’m no more concerned today than I was when all this fed talk started.


First of all game is managed by the state not the feds 2nd the state's first priority is healthy herds so your refusal to participate is only hurting yourself.

If you read the post after my first post I corrected the Fed talk with cwd talk.... it was an autocorrect on my phone that why I corrected it. As far as hurting myself.. nope... test away if you want . I personally am not worried nor do I want my area”eradicated” after seing what those folks went through in the center of the state. They heard was devastated for quite some time when people listened to the Dnr with that crap. Since a lot of folks have wisened up
EllieTheChubb
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:22 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Cwd positive

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:51 am

tim wrote:
EllieTheChubb wrote:
tim wrote:I have never nor will I ever test any deer I kill. Especially if it was from my property. Why so when they decide they wanna start eradicating again they target my area uhh no thanks. I’m no more concerned today than I was when all this fed talk started.


First of all game is managed by the state not the feds 2nd the state's first priority is healthy herds so your refusal to participate is only hurting yourself.

If you read the post after my first post I corrected the Fed talk with cwd talk.... it was an autocorrect on my phone that why I corrected it. As far as hurting myself.. nope... test away if you want . I personally am not worried nor do I want my area”eradicated” after seing what those folks went through in the center of the state. They heard was devastated for quite some time when people listened to the Dnr with that crap. Since a lot of folks have wisened up



Fair enough on the auto correct.

The issue is with no solution to cwd scientists need as much raw data as possible to really know the effects of its spread, resilience, etc. So even if the WI culling didnt work they can learn from it. if folks dont participate then the real facts dont get out and they may decide to do it again
User avatar
rfickes87
500 Club
Posts: 1051
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:27 am
Location: PENNSYLVANIA
Status: Offline

Re: Cwd positive

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:05 am

Jmitch wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:So some of you eat it and don't worry and others you rhrow it out? Here in PA i feel like we're maybe 10 years behind you guys in this CWD battle. They sent in shooters to cull our deer back and way too many tags being given out. 2 does last year off my family farm were positive. I shot a nice 8 and i didn't get him tested, i ate him and didn't care. He seemed perfectly healthy, he was probably 3.5 years old. Now I just read a proposal that includes getting a 2nd buck tag because studies show bucks more likely to carry the disease than does. Things are getting nuts around here. :violin:

Did hunter numbers in Wisconsin go down significantly with the CWD? We lost about 30,000 i believe in 2017-2018.

Everybody makes the choice to eat or not for themselves. Right now I'm not going to eat it or feed it to my kids or anybody else. If we were starving I'd probably skip testing and just go for it but we are most definitely not. Pretty much every major health organization in the world says to not eat it at this point so I personally feel its not worth however small the risk might be. May be a little too cautious but that's fine with me. Wouldn't blame anybody for doing the opposite of me.

When it first hit it changed things dramatically. The area that was hit hardest went from a 9 day gun season to like 4 months long with unlimited free tags. Hunter numbers went down and lots of people moved to different cwd free areas mostly northern Wisconsin big woods causing eventual herd declines in that area too. We went thru the whole sharpshooters over bait at night crap too. The used to call the core area the eradication area and had a goal to kill basically everything that moved and hold at that level for a decade or better. Needless to say hunter interest fell off a cliff and they scrap that plan
We are 15 or so years beyond that now and the herd in some areas is back to close to where it was the the disease keeps progressing farther and father each year. My area wasn't included in the original cores area but is now one of the higher prevalence areas. Doesn't seems like there is much to be done beside let it play out and monitor from what I see


Man oh day... :roll: That is so scary to listen to but its exactly how I envision what's going to continue to happen here.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
User avatar
crankn101
500 Club
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:29 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Cwd positive

Unread postby crankn101 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:14 pm

The main problem is the govt has a track record of lying to us so it makes it hard to believe a thing they say. I know CWD was used as an excuse to destroy whitetail herds along the frontrange of Colo to "protect" mule deer and Im assuming appease insurance interests as well .
dubbs
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:02 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Cwd positive

Unread postby dubbs » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:15 pm

crankn101 wrote:The main problem is the govt has a track record of lying to us so it makes it hard to believe a thing they say. I know CWD was used as an excuse to destroy whitetail herds along the frontrange of Colo to "protect" mule deer and Im assuming appease insurance interests as well .


There is no truth to that statement. CWD was first identified in captive mule deer in Colorado. No one definitively knows what started CWD, but there are theories that it may be related to scrapie found in domestic sheep.

I trust the biologists who have studied and worked with wildlife and diseases more than some random people on the internet with no advanced training in wildlife, medicine, or biology (including myself). That's why I It bothers me that I read the same uninformed comments from people all over the internet.

I live one unit over from a CWD area, and I have no doubt that in the next few years it will be in my area. I will test my deer and I will not eat any deer that tests positive. I think CWD will really affect my desire to hunt deer once it hits my area. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment, and that's why I feel CWD is one of the biggest threats to hunting right now.
User avatar
crankn101
500 Club
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:29 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Cwd positive

Unread postby crankn101 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:37 pm

dubbs wrote:
crankn101 wrote:The main problem is the govt has a track record of lying to us so it makes it hard to believe a thing they say. I know CWD was used as an excuse to destroy whitetail herds along the frontrange of Colo to "protect" mule deer and Im assuming appease insurance interests as well .


There is no truth to that statement. CWD was first identified in captive mule deer in Colorado. No one definitively knows what started CWD, but there are theories that it may be related to scrapie found in domestic sheep.

I trust the biologists who have studied and worked with wildlife and diseases more than some random people on the internet with no advanced training in wildlife, medicine, or biology (including myself). That's why I It bothers me that I read the same uninformed comments from people all over the internet.

I live one unit over from a CWD area, and I have no doubt that in the next few years it will be in my area. I will test my deer and I will not eat any deer that tests positive. I think CWD will really affect my desire to hunt deer once it hits my area. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment, and that's why I feel CWD is one of the biggest threats to hunting right now.


Whats not true?
dubbs
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:02 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Cwd positive

Unread postby dubbs » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:11 pm

That CWD was intentionally introduced to wild deer to reduce their numbers or to satisfy insurance companies.
User avatar
crankn101
500 Club
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:29 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Cwd positive

Unread postby crankn101 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:20 pm

dubbs wrote:That CWD was intentionally introduced to wild deer to reduce their numbers or to satisfy insurance companies.


Oh no, thats not what I meant. They used CWD, which is very real, as an excuse to eradicate the whitetails using govt killers around here though. Im born and raised within 20 miles of ft collins and know plenty of farmers and its pretty well known. The whitetails are still a very small fraction of what they were and this was happening in the 90s and Im assuming in the 80s as well.
User avatar
FRH
500 Club
Posts: 981
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:29 pm
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: Cwd positive

Unread postby FRH » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:35 pm

dubbs wrote:
crankn101 wrote:The main problem is the govt has a track record of lying to us so it makes it hard to believe a thing they say. I know CWD was used as an excuse to destroy whitetail herds along the frontrange of Colo to "protect" mule deer and Im assuming appease insurance interests as well .


There is no truth to that statement. CWD was first identified in captive mule deer in Colorado. No one definitively knows what started CWD, but there are theories that it may be related to scrapie found in domestic sheep.

I trust the biologists who have studied and worked with wildlife and diseases more than some random people on the internet with no advanced training in wildlife, medicine, or biology (including myself). That's why I It bothers me that I read the same uninformed comments from people all over the internet.

I live one unit over from a CWD area, and I have no doubt that in the next few years it will be in my area. I will test my deer and I will not eat any deer that tests positive. I think CWD will really affect my desire to hunt deer once it hits my area. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment, and that's why I feel CWD is one of the biggest threats to hunting right now.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but odds are you already have cwd in your area. It just hasn't been found or hasn't been tested enough in your area. I'm sure it is all over the US but isn't prevalent as it is not tested for unilaterally.
What I would like to see WI do is have 100 deer from each county be tested and show the prevalence rates on a uniform scale. Right now there is much more testing done around hot spots and the data continues to show that it is more common in those area. Well duh, if that's where the largest sample size is coming from then of course that's where the majority of your positive tests will come. I do not believe cwd is as big of a problem as many make it out to be. I will not test a deer unless it looks sick or unhealthy.
The number that I would like to know and haven't been able to find is how many deer have died as a result of cwd. Not the number that have died from a gun/arrow shot, hit by car, or other causes that have tested positive for cwd but actually died directly from cwd.
User avatar
stash59
Moderator
Posts: 9608
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:22 am
Location: S Central Wi.
Status: Offline

Re: Cwd positive

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:02 am

FRH wrote:
dubbs wrote:
crankn101 wrote:The main problem is the govt has a track record of lying to us so it makes it hard to believe a thing they say. I know CWD was used as an excuse to destroy whitetail herds along the frontrange of Colo to "protect" mule deer and Im assuming appease insurance interests as well .


There is no truth to that statement. CWD was first identified in captive mule deer in Colorado. No one definitively knows what started CWD, but there are theories that it may be related to scrapie found in domestic sheep.

I trust the biologists who have studied and worked with wildlife and diseases more than some random people on the internet with no advanced training in wildlife, medicine, or biology (including myself). That's why I It bothers me that I read the same uninformed comments from people all over the internet.

I live one unit over from a CWD area, and I have no doubt that in the next few years it will be in my area. I will test my deer and I will not eat any deer that tests positive. I think CWD will really affect my desire to hunt deer once it hits my area. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment, and that's why I feel CWD is one of the biggest threats to hunting right now.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but odds are you already have cwd in your area. It just hasn't been found or hasn't been tested enough in your area. I'm sure it is all over the US but isn't prevalent as it is not tested for unilaterally.
What I would like to see WI do is have 100 deer from each county be tested and show the prevalence rates on a uniform scale. Right now there is much more testing done around hot spots and the data continues to show that it is more common in those area. Well duh, if that's where the largest sample size is coming from then of course that's where the majority of your positive tests will come. I do not believe cwd is as big of a problem as many make it out to be. I will not test a deer unless it looks sick or unhealthy.
The number that I would like to know and haven't been able to find is how many deer have died as a result of cwd. Not the number that have died from a gun/arrow shot, hit by car, or other causes that have tested positive for cwd but actually died directly from cwd.


I agree with FHR and think his idea to test 100 deer from each county/management unit. Is novel and a good one. There are people that are HIV positive that haven't or never got full blown aids. Are there CWD positive deer out there? That aren't or won't die from it! And are these deer developing genetics or have genetics that combats the disease.

The scabies aspect is just a theory. No one knows for sure, nor can we find out at this point. If CWD has been around for centuries or if it's something less than 100 years old. Instead of spending money to try to eradicate the disease by eradicating the deer herd. All moneys should go towards more research in multiple facets of how the disease affects the whole herd and potential human risk.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
EllieTheChubb
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:22 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Cwd positive

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:38 am

stash59 wrote:
FRH wrote:
dubbs wrote:
crankn101 wrote:The main problem is the govt has a track record of lying to us so it makes it hard to believe a thing they say. I know CWD was used as an excuse to destroy whitetail herds along the frontrange of Colo to "protect" mule deer and Im assuming appease insurance interests as well .


There is no truth to that statement. CWD was first identified in captive mule deer in Colorado. No one definitively knows what started CWD, but there are theories that it may be related to scrapie found in domestic sheep.

I trust the biologists who have studied and worked with wildlife and diseases more than some random people on the internet with no advanced training in wildlife, medicine, or biology (including myself). That's why I It bothers me that I read the same uninformed comments from people all over the internet.

I live one unit over from a CWD area, and I have no doubt that in the next few years it will be in my area. I will test my deer and I will not eat any deer that tests positive. I think CWD will really affect my desire to hunt deer once it hits my area. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment, and that's why I feel CWD is one of the biggest threats to hunting right now.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but odds are you already have cwd in your area. It just hasn't been found or hasn't been tested enough in your area. I'm sure it is all over the US but isn't prevalent as it is not tested for unilaterally.
What I would like to see WI do is have 100 deer from each county be tested and show the prevalence rates on a uniform scale. Right now there is much more testing done around hot spots and the data continues to show that it is more common in those area. Well duh, if that's where the largest sample size is coming from then of course that's where the majority of your positive tests will come. I do not believe cwd is as big of a problem as many make it out to be. I will not test a deer unless it looks sick or unhealthy.
The number that I would like to know and haven't been able to find is how many deer have died as a result of cwd. Not the number that have died from a gun/arrow shot, hit by car, or other causes that have tested positive for cwd but actually died directly from cwd.


I agree with FHR and think his idea to test 100 deer from each county/management unit. Is novel and a good one. There are people that are HIV positive that haven't or never got full blown aids. Are there CWD positive deer out there? That aren't or won't die from it! And are these deer developing genetics or have genetics that combats the disease.

The scabies aspect is just a theory. No one knows for sure, nor can we find out at this point. If CWD has been around for centuries or if it's something less than 100 years old. Instead of spending money to try to eradicate the disease by eradicating the deer herd. All moneys should go towards more research in multiple facets of how the disease affects the whole herd and potential human risk.



Guess I'm confused on your reasoning for only testing 100 deer in each wmd. I may be wrong but in all the states I'm aware of your individual tests go into the same pool. So if everyone tested thier deer it would be 200, 300 or more per wmd. Instead of such a limited group you could have a much better analysis of the effects of cwd.
A large number of folks who work in wildlife management are sportsman. That's why they are drawn to the profession. It seems like you are confusing the researchers with the litigators.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 4 the chase, Lewis1303, SemrushBot, Swampbuck, SWMO, Zachplummer419 and 13 guests