Blue Jay Signals

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Seeker529
Facebook: N/A

Blue Jay Signals

Unread postby Seeker529 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:38 am

Long story short I ran into a older gentleman gutting out a deer the other day.. He was very open about how he hunts and why; which is a refresher for around here! He in turn was telling his story that he knew a deer was coming threw a narrow opening and got ready in time to pull off a fast shot because the Blue Jays were squawking ... Has anyone ever heard of this and how reliable is it? Just been thinking a lot about it and thinking about all the times ive heard blue jays and never seen a deer!

ZSV
500 Club

Re: Blue Jay Signals

Unread postby ZSV » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:57 am

Seeker529 wrote:Long story short I ran into a older gentleman gutting out a deer the other day.. He was very open about how he hunts and why; which is a refresher for around here! He in turn was telling his story that he knew a deer was coming threw a narrow opening and got ready in time to pull off a fast shot because the Blue Jays were squawking ... Has anyone ever heard of this and how reliable is it? Just been thinking a lot about it and thinking about all the times ive heard blue jays and never seen a deer!

I’ve heard others say this also, but have heard blue jays several times this season with zero bucks. The buck sightings I have had this season I haven’t heard blue jays. BUT I still pay attention to where I hear blue jays just in case it’s true :lol:
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:38 am

Blue Jay's will talk when anything is moving around them, i pay attention to them, sometimes its deer
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:42 am

jmaas07 wrote:Blue Jay's will talk when anything is moving around them, i pay attention to them, sometimes its deer

x2!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:42 am

jmaas07 wrote:Blue Jay's will talk when anything is moving around them, i pay attention to them, sometimes its deer

Yup
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:51 am

In the woods I notice Jays sound off when deer are around but I’m mostly hunting in or near water so I pay most attention to ducks. When they get agitated just before dark and start flying out I know a buck is working his way out of bedding in flooded timber. I can follow the progress without actually seeing the deer. Pay attention to all wildlife. They all react when something is going on that catches their attention.
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:45 am

Blue Jays and especially squirrels will many times give away bucks! When I hear either I’m on high alert.
The Spirit Lives On
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:12 pm

I’ve had better luck with squirrels barking then seeing bucks or coyotes. Blue jays always seem to be making noise but I still pay attention
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:40 pm

matt1336 wrote:

Yup

X4

Shot a doe this year that the jays told me was coming from bedding.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:57 pm

I feel like I’ve always paid attention to squirrels (since I was 13) and I’ll always investigate what they are barking at, but every time I find the reason, it’s because the squirrel is barking at another one or even me. Blue jays have been the same, although I’ve only started paying them any mind this year.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:02 pm

Squirrels high pitch yelps are like motion detectors. “Hey somethings happening over here.”
Persistence is undefeated.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:39 pm

Jays are always going off and they are annoying. Never seen a deer come in when jays are screeching. So not sure.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:03 pm

Dewey wrote:In the woods I notice Jays sound off when deer are around but I’m mostly hunting in or near water so I pay most attention to ducks. When they get agitated just before dark and start flying out I know a buck is working his way out of bedding in flooded timber. I can follow the progress without actually seeing the deer. Pay attention to all wildlife. They all react when something is going on that catches their attention.
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:17 pm

I have had mixed results. But tend to focus more when I hear them.
How bad do you want it?
MarshRunner1

Unread postby MarshRunner1 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:20 pm

First heard the whole blue jay deal from my dads cousins and their dad. Never had a deer come through when the jays were squawking and never heard them when I've seen deer. Theres so many around that they drive me nuts. I do keep my eye out just in case though :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”