Crazy spots

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store


dan
Site Owner
Posts: 35354
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Crazy spots

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:38 am

You don't always need a picture perfect tree to hunt out of... Deer a creatures of edge and thick brushy areas. Often these types of areas don't have good trees to choose from and you have to be able to adapt. Its also good to know that other hunters will gravitate towards the forest where they "think" deer should be.

The tree in the picture has been good to me, I killed one of my best bow bucks from it, within 5 minutes of passing a very tempting 140 class 10 point.

No stand, just slide in there 75 yards from the bedding, 150 yards from the parking lot.

Anybody have any good "crazy" spot pictures? or stories?
low.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


dan
Site Owner
Posts: 35354
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Crazy spots

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:38 am

lows.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brokenarrow1980
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 am
Status: Offline

Re: Crazy spots

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:01 am

Let's hope there are a few in crazy spots come October cause I'm not walking far from easy walking lol. I'm a few yards off hiking trails and the law says 50 yards from the road. If I manage to kill a nice buck I'm not gonna know whether to poop or wind my watch!!!!
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
may21581
500 Club
Posts: 527
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 12:48 pm
Location: north east ohio
Status: Offline

Re: Crazy spots

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:07 am

Some of my most productive stands have come in the form of the "crazy spots". These places are close to the road but very much overlooked by the general hunting crowd. Those special spots are hard to find and few of them are around. Taking chances and thinking outside the box can really get you into the game. That's an awesome tree you found Dan and sounds like a hidden gem. This must drive the general hunting population crazy seeing you just sitting on a tree with no stand! I love it!
Success is when opportunity meets preparation!
User avatar
Jonny
500 Club
Posts: 4383
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:11 am
Location: In a van down by the river
Status: Offline

Re: Crazy spots

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:20 am

Passed up a shot on a doe cause a pass through would have lodged the arrow in my dads bumper. Sitting on the ground cause I came in early due to lack of sign. Found fresh sign and sat on it
"Get busy living or get busy dying"
User avatar
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Posts: 6792
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:11 pm
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473
Location: MidMichigan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Crazy spots

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:42 am

Michigan Public Land + Gun Season Circus

On high ground only a few hundred yards from a big swamp, a perennial group of hunters made camp in the same location each year. They all hunted far and wide from their camp, as they believed no good hunter would be close... problem was the most overlooked buck bedding was right across the dirt road from their camp. A couple of small micro-islands existed just inside the swamp edge and there was a very tiny, ice cold stream fronting the swamp.

I decked a good buck only a couple of hundred yards from their big, gun season camp... I buried the gutted buck under a log in the ice cold stream and tied it in. The next morning I parked, waited and listened an eighth of a mile from the camp. They all dispersed to hunt by driving up and down the road... I walked down the road until I could just make out there camp and watched it for a minute... no one around.

I ran into the woods and drug the buck out a couple of hundred yards and hid it under a pine tree next to the road. I raced back to my truck, drove down the road and threw the buck in the back... and got out of there.
User avatar
HunterBob
500 Club
Posts: 650
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:09 pm
Location: Georgia
Status: Offline

Re: Crazy spots

Unread postby HunterBob » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:56 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Michigan Public Land + Gun Season Circus

On high ground only a few hundred yards from a big swamp, a perennial group of hunters made camp in the same location each year. They all hunted far and wide from their camp, as they believed no good hunter would be close... problem was the most overlooked buck bedding was right across the dirt road from their camp. A couple of small micro-islands existed just inside the swamp edge and there was a very tiny, ice cold stream fronting the swamp.

I decked a good buck only a couple of hundred yards from their big, gun season camp... I buried the gutted buck under a log in the ice cold stream and tied it in. The next morning I parked, waited and listened an eighth of a mile from the camp. They all dispersed to hunt by driving up and down the road... I walked down the road until I could just make out there camp and watched it for a minute... no one around.

I ran into the woods and drug the buck out a couple of hundred yards and hid it under a pine tree next to the road. I raced back to my truck, drove down the road and threw the buck in the back... and got out of there.


That is truly awesome!
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 3108
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: Crazy spots

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:07 am

Jonny wrote:Passed up a shot on a doe cause a pass through would have lodged the arrow in my dads bumper. Sitting on the ground cause I came in early due to lack of sign. Found fresh sign and sat on it

:lol: Love this.
Predators don't let mistakes deter them.
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 3108
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: Crazy spots

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:10 am

HunterBob wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:Michigan Public Land + Gun Season Circus

On high ground only a few hundred yards from a big swamp, a perennial group of hunters made camp in the same location each year. They all hunted far and wide from their camp, as they believed no good hunter would be close... problem was the most overlooked buck bedding was right across the dirt road from their camp. A couple of small micro-islands existed just inside the swamp edge and there was a very tiny, ice cold stream fronting the swamp.

I decked a good buck only a couple of hundred yards from their big, gun season camp... I buried the gutted buck under a log in the ice cold stream and tied it in. The next morning I parked, waited and listened an eighth of a mile from the camp. They all dispersed to hunt by driving up and down the road... I walked down the road until I could just make out there camp and watched it for a minute... no one around.

I ran into the woods and drug the buck out a couple of hundred yards and hid it under a pine tree next to the road. I raced back to my truck, drove down the road and threw the buck in the back... and got out of there.


That is truly awesome!

Agreed! Initially I was thinking you stashed him in the stream to drag him past on their side so you could get their jaws to drop, but I should know better that you’re a master of stealth.
Predators don't let mistakes deter them.
User avatar
Edcyclopedia
Posts: 10857
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:54 pm
Location: S. NH
Status: Offline

Re: Crazy spots

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:16 am

8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
User avatar
AfootTrack56
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:32 am
Status: Offline

Re: Crazy spots

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:05 am

One year my family was hunting a spot in northern Wisconsin during the gun season and we were walking this old overgrown logging road to access the area before we split up and when our separate ways. About a 1/4 of a mile from the truck, on our way out in the dark, I kept seeing this single set of tracks crossing over our sign from our hike in that morning. My brain was telling me he’s probably watching us walk by in the dark and maybe crossing that road right at daylight or with some luck, in broad daylight. Day 3 of the hunt rolls around. Now this deer did the same thing two days in a row, and the exact same spot. Time to capitalize right? Well, it snowed all night and when we get to the area, everything is white with a heavy damp snow and there is no wind. It’s silent. All the branches are totally covered, it’s amazing looking. Both sides of the road are super thick. My plan is to put a chair in the road by a blowdown a few yards from where this deer is coming through. When it walks out, buck or doe it should stop to smell our tracks and give me a shot. My dad and uncle gave me that crazy look when I told em my plan the night prior, but my dad was one to always let me try new things if I wanted. And this was no exception. We walk the trail to my spot and I setup my chair in the dark. I got the ole “good luck, shoot straight” as my dad and uncle chuckled and headed to their spots in the darkness. I’m sitting there, well before dark, as it’s dumping snow thinking how cool this is gonna be when a deer walks out in this snow. As it starts to get light, I realize I am totally covered in snow, I’ve got my rifle crossways in my lap and everything is totally white. Perfect camo I think to myself. About 10 minutes later I hear a stick break in the brush on the left side of the trail. Can it be? Probably just a bird or something, sounded kinda far off. 10 seconds later, a nose appears. Adrenaline is now to the max as I see it has antlers. The buck walks out, 15 yards from me, smells our tracks and looks the other way. This is perfect. Except I can’t get my scope covers to open. I’m fiddling with them to get em open quietly, and the buck takes two steps and disappears forever. Other than the stick he broke, not a sound was made. One of the coolest sights I’ve seen. Never even picked up my gun, but it was quite the show from my Walmart lawn chair in the middle of the logging road.
Brokenarrow1980
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 am
Status: Offline

Re: Crazy spots

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:31 am

This goes way back when I was a kid, I just finished replacing a half axle in my truck and decided to go hunting. I didn't have time to drive anywhere so I washed the grease off and hit a little wood lot beside my dads house. When I say little I mean little, I could see my dad one one side and neighbor on the other. This little wood lot connects bigger timber on the north and south with one deer trail right where I need for the 50 yard legal range from the neighboring property. A little dirt driveway for a CB club hugs the neighboring property and makes an "L" then goes behind my dads place so I really wasn't expecting much. I snuck in with my climber and climbed a tree trying to stay undetected by 2 guys restrapping a load on the CB club driveway. I got settled and the two guys finished what they were non the wiser I was there then started to leave. I could still hear them pulling out the drive and a decent 7 point stood out of the clump of brush not 10 yards from where those guys were at and came right to me to get double lunges. I wasent in the tree 5 minutes lol. I came out of the wood lot and my dad was getting ready to mow his yard, he asked if I said to heck with it.... I said no my buck was right there and pointed to it, the thing died on his property line. There is a house where that little woodlot used to be but I still remember my 5 minute buck I shot where his livingroom is at!!!!!!
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
User avatar
DaveT1963
500 Club
Posts: 4307
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:27 am
Location: South
Status: Offline

Re: Crazy spots

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:18 am

I shot one in between a parking lot of a retail store and the highway. Small 3-4 acre wood thicket with a creek that bordered it and the parking lot.
My You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/davetoms63
Journal: viewtopic.php?f=191&t=30244
"Plans are nothing; planning is everything" - President Dwight D. Eisenhower
NH Teufelhund
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:36 pm
Location: S. NH
Status: Offline

Re: Crazy spots

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:30 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:I shot one in between a parking lot of a retail store and the highway. Small 3-4 acre wood thicket with a creek that bordered it and the parking lot.


Dave I swear it seems like EVERY single Wall Mart has a creek, thick cover, and a good resident buck behind it!
brkissl82
500 Club
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:35 pm
Location: SE Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Crazy spots

Unread postby brkissl82 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:02 pm

dan wrote:lows.png


Dan....my questions would be how does a dear not spot u in trees like this with no cover? I set up in trees w cover and still get spotted time to time. My biggest obsitcale/worry is getting silhouetted

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bigredneck61088, Rjg and 1 guest