Get Out... Buck and Bear

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
User avatar
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Posts: 7002
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:11 pm
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473
Location: MidMichigan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Get Out... Buck and Bear

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:52 am

Badger wrote:If it's on my hunting buddies land a big lawn tractor and trailer :D otherwise a sled hooked to the back of my climbing harness so I can pull it like a sled dog.


sounds like a good deal, Badger... I've got buddies in farm country that only drag as far as the tractor / bucket! Not fair! :lol:


User avatar
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Posts: 7002
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:11 pm
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473
Location: MidMichigan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Get Out... Buck and Bear

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:55 am

kurt wrote:the otter sled works awesome for bears(which i think is way worse to drag than deer even when at equal weight). we have a rope with 4 or so loops for group pulls. i heard otter sled do float pretty well with animals in but haven't done it personally just hear say. for deer i use a standard type sled(its fairly heavy duty) just alot narrow than a otter sled for in marshes but also have a deer cart for hill country or sled depending on suituation.


otter sled is definitely awesome for bears... drug the bear in my avatar out with one. it was all i could do to get that bear out by myself- if i didn't have that sled i would've had to cut him up.
tim
500 Club
Posts: 2397
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:43 am
Status: Offline

Re: Get Out... Buck and Bear

Unread postby tim » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:09 am

now first seing this topic 8-) . in bluff country it is impossible to drag these deer alonewhere some of them have died. i would probably have a heartattck, not kidding. i wait until i can find somebody i trust, usually my cousin that doesnt hunt :lol: . a few years back i shot a buck first day out but was questioning the hit so iwaited till morning, found my buck dead on the downward decent of one of the bluffs. since it wasstill towards the top 1/3 i drug it myself, i wasso worn out once i got it up to the car i couldnt get it in the trunk :oops: soooo i went over to the amish neighbors house and had him help me lift it into the trunk. he says to me " ive loaded deer into a lot of things but never a car" ----- :lol: priceless. then says to come and get him next time to use the horses to darg em out. i never have cause i dont want to feel like i owe him something,but evertyime im dragging it goes through my mind.....
User avatar
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Posts: 7002
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:11 pm
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473
Location: MidMichigan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Get Out... Buck and Bear

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:21 pm

tim wrote:now first seing this topic 8-) . in bluff country it is impossible to drag these deer alonewhere some of them have died. i would probably have a heartattck, not kidding. i wait until i can find somebody i trust, usually my cousin that doesnt hunt :lol: . a few years back i shot a buck first day out but was questioning the hit so iwaited till morning, found my buck dead on the downward decent of one of the bluffs. since it wasstill towards the top 1/3 i drug it myself, i wasso worn out once i got it up to the car i couldnt get it in the trunk :oops: soooo i went over to the . neighbors house and had him help me lift it into the trunk. he says to me " ive loaded deer into a lot of things but never a car" ----- :lol: priceless. then says to come and get him next time to use the horses to darg em out. i never have cause i dont want to feel like i owe him something,but evertyime im dragging it goes through my mind.....



Good stuff Tim. One thing you may be able to check with your doctor about- don't even consider it otherwise- would be to take 325 mg of aspirin prior to making a big drag. He may see some wisdom in it if you do not have any contraindications to taking a blood thinner, such as a bleeding condition or ulcer, for example. We see it all the time, that if you think you are having a heart attack with classic signs and symptoms, to consider taking aspirin right away to thin the blood and prevent additional clotting of the coronary arteries.

But the way I see it, its not like you are dragging out a buck or a bear every day and taking aspirin can be a preemptive strike. Again, never even consider it without discussing it with your doctor first. 8-)
User avatar
Jackson Marsh
Moderator
Posts: 15951
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:11 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: Get Out... Buck and Bear

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:34 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
tim wrote:now first seing this topic 8-) . in bluff country it is impossible to drag these deer alonewhere some of them have died. i would probably have a heartattck, not kidding. i wait until i can find somebody i trust, usually my cousin that doesnt hunt :lol: . a few years back i shot a buck first day out but was questioning the hit so iwaited till morning, found my buck dead on the downward decent of one of the bluffs. since it wasstill towards the top 1/3 i drug it myself, i wasso worn out once i got it up to the car i couldnt get it in the trunk :oops: soooo i went over to the . neighbors house and had him help me lift it into the trunk. he says to me " ive loaded deer into a lot of things but never a car" ----- :lol: priceless. then says to come and get him next time to use the horses to darg em out. i never have cause i dont want to feel like i owe him something,but evertyime im dragging it goes through my mind.....



Good stuff Tim. One thing you may be able to check with your doctor about- don't even consider it otherwise- would be to take 325 mg of aspirin prior to making a big drag. He may see some wisdom in it if you do not have any contraindications to taking a blood thinner, such as a bleeding condition or ulcer, for example. We see it all the time, that if you think you are having a heart attack with classic signs and symptoms, to consider taking aspirin right away to thin the blood and prevent additional clotting of the coronary arteries.

But the way I see it, its not like you are dragging out a buck or a bear every day and taking aspirin can be a preemptive strike. Again, never even consider it without discussing it with your doctor first. 8-)




The ultimate stress test is dragging a large deer through difficult terrain. On my drag out last year my heart rate was between 145 and 160 for five hours...........I was obviously exhausted at the end. I could barely get him in the truck.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
tim
500 Club
Posts: 2397
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:43 am
Status: Offline

Re: Get Out... Buck and Bear

Unread postby tim » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:43 am

:lol: the funny part of that story was edited out where never loading a deer into a trunk of a car. it was becasue he was amish. not sure why that wont show up but if it is blocked again ----ami$h
tim
500 Club
Posts: 2397
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:43 am
Status: Offline

Re: Get Out... Buck and Bear

Unread postby tim » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:44 am

i dont think that s a bad word is it :lol:
User avatar
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Posts: 7002
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:11 pm
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473
Location: MidMichigan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Get Out... Buck and Bear

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:46 am

I just realized I only have one deer sled... my Otter that I use for bear is too big. Hmm, maybe a gift idea for me to give to others this holiday season! :mrgreen: After all, they aren't that expensive, really.

I don't know why, but I always like having a back-up to my hunting equipment, the old "be prepared" thing.
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 37347
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Get Out... Buck and Bear

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:42 am

What has worked great for me on the last few bears was to hike a tarp back to the bear and cut down two small pole trees and tie the tarp into a stretcher and one guy takes each end. On the huge bears you can get four guys, on at the end of each pole.
User avatar
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Posts: 7002
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:11 pm
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473
Location: MidMichigan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Get Out... Buck and Bear

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:25 am

dan wrote:What has worked great for me on the last few bears was to hike a tarp back to the bear and cut down two small pole trees and tie the tarp into a stretcher and one guy takes each end. On the huge bears you can get four guys, on at the end of each pole.


Dan, did you use one of those cheap tarps like the blue ones that are in all the stores? Or, are you using some type of heavy-duty tarp to attach to the poles?
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 37347
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Get Out... Buck and Bear

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:28 am

Dan, did you use one of those cheap tarps like the blue ones that are in all the stores? Or, are you using some type of heavy-duty tarp to attach to the poles?

Cheap... Its folded a few times and holes cut thru to tie the ropes. They get bloody and nasty and we just throw them out after camp.

Bet it would work well for deer too.
JoeRE
500 Club
Posts: 4579
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:26 am
Location: IA
Status: Offline

Re: Get Out... Buck and Bear

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:30 am

Never dealt with a bear, but if I am more than 3/4 of a mile in from the access point and if its uphill at all, quarter the deer and pack it out is the only way to go in my opinion. I am surprised more have not said that option? I have pulled them out on a sled and game cart and get tired of fighting brush and logs and ditches after a while.

Although I could see if you are wading through a swamp putting 50-100 more pounds on your shoulders might be a bad idea! I hunt the hills mostly.
keb
500 Club
Posts: 1008
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 4:32 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Get Out... Buck and Bear

Unread postby keb » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:42 pm

I have a fold up back packable aluminum deer cart, very handy. But I also use a badlands 2200, were legal, I cut them up using the boneless methond, and pack them out. There are some spots, I have no option. It's legal in missouri, kansas and iowa.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
User avatar
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Posts: 7002
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:11 pm
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473
Location: MidMichigan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Get Out... Buck and Bear

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:15 am

JoeRE wrote:Never dealt with a bear, but if I am more than 3/4 of a mile in from the access point and if its uphill at all, quarter the deer and pack it out is the only way to go in my opinion. I am surprised more have not said that option? I have pulled them out on a sled and game cart and get tired of fighting brush and logs and ditches after a while.

Although I could see if you are wading through a swamp putting 50-100 more pounds on your shoulders might be a bad idea! I hunt the hills mostly.


quartering a buck and packing makes sense, it sure can lighten the load on hard ground. in my swamps, i usually take a couple of aspirin (to thin my blood, not for pain) and grab my sled to get it over with in one trip. i have to pull the buck up and over numerous deadfall trees, negotiate muck that you could bury a buffalo in, and ram through thickets with tagalders thicker than cat hair.

i have an otter sled that i really like for dragging a bear out or if i'm lucky enough to get the buck in an area that is more open. but my sled with the wedge shaped front is priceless when getting through the tagalders. the square front of the otter means "dead stop" everytime a tagalder is hit. the wedge shaped front pulls around all the nasty tags and saves me a lot of time.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Voz and 1 guest