Help me decode some scouting finds...please

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Help me decode some scouting finds...please

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:57 am

I scouted an area that I hunt yesterday. I scouted the same area last year and found the exact same sign, almost to the tree and ground as I did yesterday. I didn't hunt this area last year as I was hunting different spots. The sign that popped up yesterday was a bit bigger than last year (higher rubs/bigger scrapes) as compared to last year, in addition to some 5-5.5 inch tracks I found on some of the trails. This lets me know that a decent buck or two frequents this area.

The yellow lines are major deer trails. The red are large/tall rubs and the orange are large scrapes. The are surrounded by the green seems to be a serious pocket of buck activity. I just do not know when/how to hunt this spot come fall. The area to the north is a no hunting zone. I wonder if come late October or so that those bucks are moving in and taking a peak at what is going on down in my hunting area. There is a TON of buck sign in that green area. After I expand out of that green the buck sign drops off significantly.

So what do you all think is causing the large amount of buck sign in that spot for two consecutive years? If you were to hunt in that area, when would you move in to kill something? Thanks guys. I think I found the sign that I needed to find to make hunting that spot worth my while this year.

Oh yeah, the southern most buck sign is flanked by some serious cover. I felt like I was close to finding a large buck bed on that point, but I could not locate one as I just suck at finding deer beds. It is pretty far from the road and showed absolutely no sign of other hunters.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Help me decode some scouting finds...please

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:54 am

I'm sure Dan and/or Autumn Ninja will jump on that map so I will totally leave that to them since they can figure out in 5-10 minutes what takes me 1-2 hours. I don't know why, but I'm just slow. At least that's what Autumn Ninja tells me all the time. :lol:

However, I did want to tell you that if you click on the little globe at the top of the green box with the coordinates in it, the box will be minimized so you can hide the coordinates and can see more of the map.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:04 pm

Looks to me like your looking at a deer trail that goes between/or close to a lot of bedding. I would expect buck movment there in the late morning during late October / early November. Otherwise I would not expect mature buck daylight movement on most days outside the rut.
That sign would tell me that there is a large buck in the area and I would be searching for his bed on those points.
Most people hunt by wandering the woods looking for "sign" Rubs, scrapes, trails etc... The more the sign they find, the more they think they have a great spot to hunt. But if you do not determine where the bedding is in relation you could likely be hunting deer that are traveling thru at night, or rut only. If you consider that most hunters set up on sign rather than knowing whats going on by fully figuring the deer out including bedding locations, you are probably going to have simalar results as those people by setting up on sign alone.
Even during the rut phases, I still don't see truly mature bucks out cruising much in daylight far from there beds. Its a good time to catch them or a large 3 y/o making a mistake, but its being close to the bed that kills mature bucks on a regular basis...
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:02 pm

Thank you Dan for your honest reply. I scouted for many hours the other day and searched high and low for a buck bed or two....found zip as usual. I am heading back in on Sunday or Monday to get down and dirty on those points. I feel like I was really close to discovering a big bed or two but it just did not work out. I have scouted all around this spot for years and feel confident that I know where other people hunt, where the does bed...and now I am trying to add the final piece to the puzzle....where the buck(s) bed.

I will say this again, I SUCK at finding buck beds. I mean Dan, I walk high and low and have a pretty good eye, but my lord I just stink at finding beds.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:06 pm

I have no doubt...that hub has a bucks core within it. The beds are there, you just need to find them. Good luck Brett.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:05 pm

I will say this again, I SUCK at finding buck beds. I mean Dan, I walk high and low and have a pretty good eye, but my lord I just stink at finding beds.

Once you find a few and get an eye for it, it will get a lot easier... When I get a chance, I will try and mark some likely locations.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:25 am

Is it possible for you to at least scout the no hunting zone? You might find your bedding there and be able to setup near the border.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:47 am

Headgear, yes I can. It is a national forest.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:51 am

If you "can" you might want to bump those beds that you can't hunt close enough to and try and get the bucks to bed where you can hunt. ;)
Human hair or zest soap shaved into the bed will keep it from being used for a long time if its legal there...
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:38 pm

dan wrote:If you "can" you might want to bump those beds that you can't hunt close enough to and try and get the bucks to bed where you can hunt. ;)
Human hair or zest soap shaved into the bed will keep it from being used for a long time if its legal there...

Now that is interesting...I like it. When would you use a tactic like that Dan? What time of the year?
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:10 am

virginiashadow wrote:
dan wrote:If you "can" you might want to bump those beds that you can't hunt close enough to and try and get the bucks to bed where you can hunt. ;)

Now that is interesting...I like it. When would you use a tactic like that Dan? What time of the year?

dont get ahead of yourself... need to FIND the beds 1st.

I can relate to you... ive walked and walked, and went to some promising areas that most guys would walk past. ive checked islands in marshes i KNOW noone has ever been to... i have yet to find 1 single buck bed.

Ill keep trying... 2 more properties to scout this weekend.
You can't kill em on the couch
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:09 am

Hey even if you don't know the exact beds dumping a ton of scent and pushing the deer out of there might work just fine. I would be a little leary about pushing the deer even further into the safe zone.

vs
I am no bedding guru but I would be checking on some of those points near the river for buck beds. Like Dan says some of those mature bucks leave very little sign near their beds so you will have to look close.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:58 am

dont get ahead of yourself... need to FIND the beds 1st.

True...

dan wrote:
If you "can" you might want to bump those beds that you can't hunt close enough to and try and get the bucks to bed where you can hunt.

That tactic has worked well for me, but in areas I know really well, and know the bedding areas and tendancys of the bucks, and also in areas that are not off limets to hunt, but rather spots that are hard to hunt because of location without being busted.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:24 pm

I am heading back out into that spot on Sunday or Monday and will look over those points thoroughly. Thank you for the help gentlemen, it is much appreciated.

Brett

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”