Shoulda been a Sniper!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Re: Shoulda been a Sniper!

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:34 am

I am a really good shot with my bow, when I actually stay on top of my practicing, otherwise I get a little rusty. I can hold it together pretty well when shooting at game as well, although I havent had the opportunity to try out my skills on a beast buck yet, so we'll see how that goes when the time comes!

As far as with a gun, I am much more calm (because it doesnt excite me near as much), but Ive never been that great of a shot with a gun. I guess I dont really practice all that much. The most practicing I do is shooting striped gophers with the .22 in the summer..

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:10 am

tim wrote:the older i get the more proficient i seem to be with bow. and actually have practiced less. but for some reason the only time im super calm is when the truly big bucks show up, i hope it stays that way. im shooting right handed and i am left handed/left eye dominant so i think that has been my struggle over the years. my brother says switch, i cant its just not natural to me. same with the gun. my eyes are also failing. i got glasses this year. so i got contacts for hunting but cant barely get them in and when i do they are scratchy probably from my allergies, so i hunt without them or glasses :?

glasses have been a huge set back for me in hunting. Like you allergies, and overall being plain uncomfortable, has kept me from wearing contacts. That lasik surgery seems like a good option. I get excited and my glasses fog up. I've had to let down at full draw because of that twice. Its embarassing and disappointing.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:52 am

dan wrote:
What a cool forum handle that would be... "Flincher"

Hmmm... I hear PredatorTC is looking for a new handle. :lol:

Sounds good!! If only i could figure out how to change it! :D
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Unread postby wappkid » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:10 am

I have shot a couple of deer at ranges over 60yds. But most of them are in the 15-40yd range. I actually dont like taking a shot over 30yds. But I practice at a hundred yds. I can normally shoot a 6in group at a hundred yds. Once and a while I will have a flyer. The only reason I practice at a hundred yds is to make those 30 and 40 yd groups deadly. I do however get buckfever really bad. So I really have to calm myself down before the shot.If it happens really fast the buckfever is not as bad. Do you guys have a routine to keep the buckfever at a minimum.I need some ideas.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:56 am

wappkid wrote:I have shot a couple of deer at ranges over 60yds. But most of them are in the 15-40yd range. I actually dont like taking a shot over 30yds. But I practice at a hundred yds. I can normally shoot a 6in group at a hundred yds. Once and a while I will have a flyer. The only reason I practice at a hundred yds is to make those 30 and 40 yd groups deadly. I do however get buckfever really bad. So I really have to calm myself down before the shot.If it happens really fast the buckfever is not as bad. Do you guys have a routine to keep the buckfever at a minimum.I need some ideas.

Once I am sure it is a buck I want to kill I zoom in and just focus on the kill zone and shut everything else out. If it is a big buck and you keep looking at the rack you will experience buck fever and I have heard of people actually shooting the rack :shock: but that is a little extreme! :lol: Keep repeating in your mind to PICK A SPOT and burn a hole in that spot with your eyes until you can take a shot.
I am fortunate because I don't fall apart until after the shot and have to sit down for awhile because my whole body shakes! That feeling is what keeps me coming back for more!
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:30 pm

wappkid wrote:I have shot a couple of deer at ranges over 60yds. But most of them are in the 15-40yd range. I actually dont like taking a shot over 30yds. But I practice at a hundred yds. I can normally shoot a 6in group at a hundred yds. Once and a while I will have a flyer. The only reason I practice at a hundred yds is to make those 30 and 40 yd groups deadly. I do however get buckfever really bad. So I really have to calm myself down before the shot.If it happens really fast the buckfever is not as bad. Do you guys have a routine to keep the buckfever at a minimum.I need some ideas.

:shock: A hundred yards Dude, my sight pin would cover up a my truck at a hundred yards! That would be cool to see!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:50 pm

Cool topic bridge, loved reading the responses.

I would love to take some sniper training, like Col Jeff Cooper. That would be neat to spend some time in a place like that getting ballisticly correct.

Rifles, I have a 7mm and shoot it a little above average, my next rifle will also be a tack driver, thinking along the lines of a 257 Wby Mag or possibly in the Lazzeroni line. My slug guns and muzzleloaders are also dialed in to hit where they should.

With my bow I would grade myself a 20 yd shot in a hunting situation. I am going in the wrong direction getting worse not better, I may do an equipment upgrade. Went to a xbow the last couple seasons and shoot it decent.

Overall, I usually stay calm and focused and I think that helps us average shooters convert our shots to meat.
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:51 pm

Good post, Uncle Lou- I hope you are able to add that 257 Wby Mag to the collection / post some success with it on the Beast. 8-)
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:31 am

I feel very comfortable with my guns, I have been fortunate to have a family member that is a world class shooter to help me out. My Uncle Al was ranked #6 in the world for 1500meter silhouette at one point. I feel confident in any shot I choose to take with my gun.

I am getting better with my archery gear, I will not shoot over 40 yards at a deer. I practice a lot and feel confident to 60 yards. i can keep groups in the 4 inch range at that distance.
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:57 am

I'm dead on with a fly swatter!! :lol:
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:23 am

CarolsCritterCare wrote:I'm dead on with a fly swatter!! :lol:

:lol: We all count coup differently, I say whatever works!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:26 am

g3'S wrote: I have been fortunate to have a family member that is a world class shooter to help me out. My Uncle Al was ranked #6 in the world for 1500meter silhouette at one point.

I could have used a shooting mentor like that my first year gun hunting as a kid- blew a bunch of belly hair off of a cedar swamp beast. :x
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:43 am

I'm a traditional bow hunter. When target practicing I don't like missing by more then an Inch. If I can't consistently get with In an Inch of where I'm aiming I ain't shooting at that given yardage In the bow stand. Maybe that's why my max yardage Is usually under 20 yards. ;) I've wounded one deer and one bear In 25 years of bow hunting so I must be doing something right while under pressure. I know allot of bow hunters who can hit quarters at 30 and 40 yards but can't make a clean shot on a big game animal to save their .
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Sat May 14, 2011 7:41 am

Dewey wrote:I don't fall apart until after the shot and have to sit down for awhile because my whole body shakes! That feeling is what keeps me coming back for more!

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon May 16, 2011 11:46 am

Schultzy wrote:I know allot of bow hunters who can hit quarters at 30 and 40 yards but can't make a clean shot on a big game animal to save their .

:lol: aint it the truth, sometimes bowhunters fall apart when the pressure jacks up.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”