Virginia WMA

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
TreeRat

Virginia WMA

Unread postby TreeRat » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:23 pm

I just finish watching Marsh Bucks and Hill country DVD and now want to try this style of hunting. I have a WMA (Wildlife Management Area 934-acre) 20 minutes from my house. I have done some research on the area and found it gets a lot of pressure in gun season but archery is not to bad. With all public land its is hard to gauge how much pressure its gets till you see for yourself. Anyone hunt Pettigrew WMA. May be we could share some info I have several gps tracks of this area. Trying to see if it worth putting in the time.

publiclandhunter
500 Club

Re: Virginia WMA

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:47 pm

Wish I could lend some assistance....but I live in Michigan. Start with the topo & aerial maps to pinpoint hunter access locations then look to the farthest away areas where they may not get to. Start your scouting there first. If these locations are loaded with hunter sign.... then find a new WMA that has less pressure.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:35 pm

You could contact the local conservation officer and ask him about the pressure. Then you could also ask him about other nearby public area's where he knows there are usually some big bucks. Another good source for finding area's that hold big bucks are police officers that patrol the area. Especially 2nd and 3rd shifters.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:21 am

Rule # 1 ... dont post your spot on the interweb... how many more VA hunters will read your post and think the same thing as you?

Rule # 2 ... no type of internet scounting can replace good hard footwork and effort.

Rule # 3 .... refer to #1, then #2.
You can't kill em on the couch
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:01 am

Brandon wrote:Rule # 1 ... dont post your spot on the interweb... how many more VA hunters will read your post and think the same thing as you?...

I agree, but I don't think he posted anything that would encourage someone to go there. If anything I think he may have discouraged people from going there by mentioning the heavy pressure. He is just looking for a spot. I think your just fine TreeRat. I think it was a good question.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
TreeRat

Unread postby TreeRat » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:05 am

I don't think I am giving up my spot its 934 acres that gets a lot of gun pressure,that I know. As for archery I dont think it gets a lot. Some time you have to weigh your choices if someone gets and idea to hunt this area o well. Virginia does not have a lot of WMA close to me and all of these areas are in the Fish and game booklet that's how I found it,also was it part of Fort A.P Hill

The first thing I did was call a conservation officer and the wild life biologist and found that when gun season starts I don't need to be anywhere near it. (PRESSURE) But otherwise It could be a place to look into and start learning how to hunt public land.

I know its not the best to post an area that you might want to hunt but this is the first site I have found that really gets into public land and thought maybe there might be someone with a little insight about the area.

Thanks for the replies.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:31 am

Any piece of public land that big will have some good bucks on it. The trick is figuring out where the hunters don't go, and where the mature bucks do. Sometimes there is an overlooked spot right by the road everybody walks past, sometimes its a remote spot that takes a lot of work to get to... Start with aerials and Topo's and then do the foot work to check on your hunches. Good luck! 8-)
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:01 pm

TreeRat. I would not be scared at all to put your maps up on here. To be honest, 95% of the guys on this site are northern guys. You and I are about the only Virginia guys on this site. I hunted Pettigrew when I first started hunting VA public lands about twenty years ago. In fact my father and I used to bass fish around Skinkers Corner for many years. I would attack it during the early archery season then get the heck out of Dodge come muzzleloader.

On a side note, if you are hunting that close to AP Hill, go ahead and get a hunting pass for AP Hill. It is public land as well and offers MUCH better hunting with tens of thousands of acreage to hunt. Trust me.

If you ever have the desire to come up to Quantico to hunt, I can meet you up there, help you get your base hunting pass, and give you some tips. It would be my pleasure.

Brett
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:57 pm

virginiashadow wrote:TreeRat. I would not be scared at all to put your maps up on here. To be honest, 95% of the guys on this site are northern guys.

It's not so much the guys on this site as it is non members that peruse the forum. Also, as this forum grows more people can use the search and come across your maps so I would be a little careful about what you show on a map if you post it (like coordinates).
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:20 pm

He can just say he is asking for help on a topo map of a place in Arkansas to throw em for a loop, then delete the coordinates. Takes care of that problem.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”