Hill Country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
BigHunt

Re: Hill Country

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:44 am

dan wrote:
GRUD wrote:It seems to me that just applying the general idea that the buck wants to be able to have two of his senses being utilized for his protection. I have been able to pinpoint beds in urban areas with this method. The buck wants to smell his backside and see in front of himself. I found a bed on the corner of a powerline field. It was cool because I thought if a buck bedded there he could see the whole field and smell the thicket behind him. Sure enough, when I checked it out, a large bed right on the edge in the corner of the field. Tough spot to hunt but I pretty much know he is bedding there with the prevailing wind.

Very true... but in hill country that bedding spot is at a certain elevation 90% of the time, and I have ran into quite a few beds that were in spots where the defense was solely being in thick stuff that someone could not possibly enter without alerting the buck. Using your method should find a lot of beds quickly though, but not all of them.

correct dan i find most of all my bedds on one elevation, on ocations ill have a bedd lower than usual because of the way the wind flows and thermals meet

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:46 am

dan wrote:It don't matter how much I put into this forum, video's, or articles. You still gotta go out and learn it for yourself. Not everything can be covered or portrayed in a way to make it click. My advice is merly a starting point.
I have been doing this most of my life and am still learning.

Ok. I got this advice down, but I have a general question that maybe you hill hunters can answer in your own experiences. What do you generally see for buck movement when there is no wind in the hills? Now deer will only have thermals/thick cover/vision to utilize. I read an article that said not to hunt no wind/calm wind days in the hills...

I generally hunt swamps and small farms.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:55 am

jack_4mn wrote:
dan wrote:It don't matter how much I put into this forum, video's, or articles. You still gotta go out and learn it for yourself. Not everything can be covered or portrayed in a way to make it click. My advice is merly a starting point.
I have been doing this most of my life and am still learning.

Ok. I got this advice down, but I have a general question that maybe you hill hunters can answer in your own experiences. What do you generally see for buck movement when there is no wind in the hills? Now deer will only have thermals/thick cover/vision to utilize. I read an article that said not to hunt no wind/calm wind days in the hills...

I generally hunt swamps and small farms.

no wind :?: theres no such thing just because we cant feel it dosnet mean its not there .....also no mater rain,snow,clouds,or shine theres all ways thermals
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:25 am

Another great thread.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:43 am

re-read my question and insert prevailing in..
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:53 am

i generaly see deer all day in the thermal tunel .....they might not be moving much but deer move around all day in there bedding area to strech out or swicth bedds besacue of wind change
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:05 am

without a prevailing wind, there would be no conceptual "thermal tunnel", unless there was a topo formation that caused thermals to swirl in hill spots (there are alot of these, such as round even sloped saddles). i dont think you get what im asking..?

what do u see in your woods when you hunt on a day that the weatherman says the wind is 0-2 mph from a specific direction...do u hunt in hills?
Last edited by Beason on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:06 am

jack_4mn wrote:without a prevailing wind, there would be no "tunnel", unless there was a topo formation that caused thermals to swirl in hill spots (there are alot of these, such as round even sloped saddles). i dont think you get what im asking..?

what do u see in your woods when you hunt on a day that the weatherman says the wind is 0-2 mph from a specific direction...do u hunt in hills?

agin just becasue we can feel it theres always a pervailing wind
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:11 am

another thing in hill country is that deer bedd were they bed because of the thermal tunnel or pervailng wind ........they have to bed some were and sometime
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:14 am

I think you're onto something.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:14 am

BigHunt wrote:
jack_4mn wrote:without a prevailing wind, there would be no "tunnel", unless there was a topo formation that caused thermals to swirl in hill spots (there are alot of these, such as round even sloped saddles). i dont think you get what im asking..?

Prevailing or current wind?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:18 am

Stanley wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

Prevailing or current wind?

:?: what do you mean
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:24 am

if your talking about the weather mans wind(current)wind.....thats the pervailing wind
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:29 am

BigHunt wrote:if your talking about the weather mans wind(current)wind.....thats the pervailing wind

Prevailing wind is most frequent or very common. Current wind is happening now.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:32 am

Stanley wrote:
BigHunt wrote:if your talking about the weather mans wind(current)wind.....thats the pervailing wind

Prevailing wind is most frequent or very common. Current wind is happening now.

im still confused stan what are you looking for
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”