DIY nebraska

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
sumac

Re: DIY nebraska

Unread postby sumac » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:13 pm

I think it's the eastern part of the state that has the highest white tail densitys. Went there the first week of april and scouted a bunch of public. I was impressed with the amount of deer sign. Saw deer in most of the spots we checked out. Lots of rubs, nothing hudge, but did see mature buck tracks. Saw lots of gun hunting sign but from what we gathered not a lot of bowhunting going on early in the season. Probably going down for the opener, something different.

Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:13 pm

Test
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:34 pm

Are you havin problems with this thread too Carol? I want to see what Sumac posted, everytime I log on it says this thread has a new post by sumac but the last post that shows up is my last one and the highlighting that indicates new post never goes away....*note this is not a complaint simply an observation*
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:52 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:....*note this is not a complaint simply an observation*

:lol: :mrgreen:
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:08 pm

I spoke with a guy that hunts KS and NE and he had good things to say about NE. He said if you want a chance at a truly big buck, KS is the state. However if your content with 130" bucks, NE has lots of them. I may look into NE, but right now I keep getting drawn (lucky) for a KS tag. Would be sweet one of these years to finally tag out early, then head on up to NE on the way home and take a look around. Im guessing NE and KS are similar in that if you have water, there will be deer. Unfortunately in KS, if your on one of the main rivers, you either are related to that family, or are paying big money to hunt it. EVERYBODY knows those are the hot spots and the outfitters do their best to take all the best land. Of course there are deer most everywhere, as long as they can find some water source to survive.
Ken
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:44 am

kenn1320 wrote:I spoke with a guy that hunts KS and NE and he had good things to say about NE. He said if you want a chance at a truly big buck, KS is the state. However if your content with 130" bucks, NE has lots of them. I may look into NE, but right now I keep getting drawn (lucky) for a KS tag. Would be sweet one of these years to finally tag out early, then head on up to NE on the way home and take a look around. Im guessing NE and KS are similar in that if you have water, there will be deer. Unfortunately in KS, if your on one of the main rivers, you either are related to that family, or are paying big money to hunt it. EVERYBODY knows those are the hot spots and the outfitters do their best to take all the best land. Of course there are deer most everywhere, as long as they can find some water source to survive.
Ken

That would be pretty neat, is it expensive to hunt KS? The draw for NE for me is the amount of deer, and cost of non-res tag...
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:44 am

That would be pretty neat, is it expensive to hunt KS?

Yeah for me it is. $322.50 to apply for the draw in the spring(all but $20 or something is returned if unsuccessful) then you need to buy a hunting license which is $78 roughly. Add in meals/gas/lodging and its not as cheap as hunting at home. Its a 14hr drive for me, and I go out for 3 days or so in the spring to scout. I run into a lot of guys from texas and other southern states, but thankfully none from Michigan yet. :mrgreen:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:58 am

cant figure out how to delete this post so I'm editing it to say nothing...

NOTHING
Last edited by BackWoodsHunter on Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:59 am

Nebraska is going to be a lot cheaper then so failure will be easier to deal with if we come home empty handed :lol: I would like to head out there fall 2012 but only if I can have a successful season in 2011 at home on ground I am somewhat familiar with... If i can put these new "beast tactics" to work and am successful then I will take on some thing out of state.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:10 pm

I just enjoy meeting new people and exploring new ground. Ive passed a lot of small bucks and does and came home with only a tag. I might start taking a doe last day if I still haven't filled my tag, but I'm not going to just shoot any buck rather then come home empty handed. That's one more that I might see next year when he is bigger. Plus I have to debone all the meat, and its a lot of work after you have hunted hard for that many days. Guess I need to get better at that. ;)
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:12 pm

kenn1320 wrote:...I run into a lot of guys from texas and other southern states, but thankfully none from Michigan yet. :mrgreen:

Good thing or there wouldn't be any big bucks left to kill. :lol: :lol:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:44 am

kenn1320 wrote: Yeah for me it is. $322.50 to apply for the draw in the spring(all but $20 or something is returned if unsuccessful) then you need to buy a hunting license which is $78 roughly. Add in meals/gas/lodging and its not as cheap as hunting at home. Its a 14hr drive for me, and I go out for 3 days or so in the spring to scout. I run into a lot of guys from texas and other southern states, but thankfully none from Michigan yet. :mrgreen:

If I knew of other states that where crawling with 3 1/2 year old bucks, had an abundance of public land and I could get non resident tags over the counter for under $200.....Thats where I would go. ;)
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:32 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:
kenn1320 wrote: Yeah for me it is. $322.50 to apply for the draw in the spring(all but $20 or something is returned if unsuccessful) then you need to buy a hunting license which is $78 roughly. Add in meals/gas/lodging and its not as cheap as hunting at home. Its a 14hr drive for me, and I go out for 3 days or so in the spring to scout. I run into a lot of guys from texas and other southern states, but thankfully none from Michigan yet. :mrgreen:

If I knew of other states that where crawling with 3 1/2 year old bucks, had an abundance of public land and I could get non resident tags over the counter for under $200.....Thats where I would go. ;)

Are you referring to Kentucky? ;)
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:05 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:Are you referring to Kentucky? ;)

Yes, LBL is over 150,000 acres....You gotta stop a shew all the 3 1/2 year old bucks out of the road just drive through there. ;)
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:50 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:Are you referring to Kentucky? ;)

Yes, LBL is over 150,000 acres....You gotta stop a shew all the 3 1/2 year old bucks out of the road just drive through there. ;)

drove through western kentucky last month on my way to west virginia....man that is some pretty country, is there any good land somewhat close to louisville?? i have an uncle there ;)
When better is possible, good is never good enough

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”