Private "Public Land"

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Private "Public Land"

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:47 pm

There are alot of properties enrolled in either managed forest law or in forest crop law in WI. What are thoughts on utilizing them. Im not very good at knocking on doors and feel generally uneasy about asking a land owner to access his MFL land. I think most dont want anyone to hunt the land but want the tax break. Legally i dont believe they have a choice,but doesnt seem ethical to me at times. Also they can ruin a hunt for you if they want.When you drive 6-8 hours to hunt for a weekend thats the last thing you want. Any thoughts? Anyone out there with land enrolled that would have some insight? I know there are some incredible pieces out there that are legal to hunt.

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Re: Private "Public Land"

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:24 pm

I understand your concerns and have found mixed results with it. Often time the FCL that is open has no one living on it and is just vacant land like public land. At least the stuff that I hunt close to our private land. I think a lot of it honestly has to do with where you are from too. I try to spend an extended weekend (4-5days) in northern WI every winter hunting coyotes and running traplines with a buddy and his brother. I have found that because they were born and raised in the small town and everyone knows them, respects their family etc we are pretty much welcome everywhere private, public, FCL and so on. I do believe if I ventured up there on my own and went in to hunt some of the land by myself I wouldn't be as welcome without talking with the landowners first. Like everything else it never hurts to build a relationship. These people get a tax break which is obviously then picked up by our tax dollars and the value of the standing timber on their land. I believe in some way I have right to be on that land but understand how being a struggling landowner it would be hard to watch others trample all over your land often not hunting with the same approach and/or ethics as yourself. There really is no right or wrong answer because with most situations in hunting its a case by case basis. It never hurts to stop and talk to the landowner I guess or make some contact with them to start off a relationship. You don't necessarily owe it to them but as you stated there is nothing stopping them from sighting in their rifle a half hour before last light or creating other disturbances.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:42 pm

I have had some experience with this in the past and I would say you are worrying way too much. That being said I would still contact the landowner whenever poss. and ask them for permission. You will find out a lot about the landowner and probably make a friend as well. You could offer some meat if your successful. I would ask where you can park to be out of the way. Doing this will allow you to feel good about entering the land or you will find out that it ain't worth the trouble. By contacting the owner you can also get good info about hunting pressure, deer sightings and location, etc.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:16 am

the worst they can say is NO

Been told NO lots of times and I keep on asking new owners each year....
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:18 am

Doesn't hurt to ask!
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:50 am

76chevy wrote:the worst they can say is NO

Been told NO lots of times and I keep on asking new owners each year....

In WI, if it is enrolled in the forest crop land with the hunting allowed option, technically they can't say no, even if the forest crop land is surrounded by land not entered, they still have to allow access to the enrolled land. Keep in mind the are two types of FCL, some don't have to allow hunting, and they don't get quite as nice of a tax break. Like Backwoods and Magic said it's still nice to talk to the land owner, and hopefully impress him enough that he won't be concerned with you hunting there. It's a hairy situation when a landowner is enrolled, yet doesn't want you out there, so it's nice to nip any problems in the bud before they arise.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:31 am

I hate asking... They always have some excuse for not wanting you on there property. Technically, you don't have to ask in Wisconsin.
I do know of a couple people whom got into some trouble entering MFL land to scout... From what they were told, you must be engaged in hunting to be on the property. So scouting without a wepeon is not allowed. To get around that, I would suggest you carry a rifle and some predator calls while scouting, or simply ask 1st.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:44 am

http://dnr.wi.gov/forestry/feeds/faqsFu ... d&inc=ftax

Please see the link for common questions regarding OPEN Managed Forest Land in WI.

Dan what's up with your buds getting in trouble with scouting?......No, you do not need a weapon with you to walk the land.

Be aware there is MFL land that is CLOSED. No access.

Forest Crop Land are old contracts that will be expired with-in the next few years. Very similar to the MFL-Open land now.
hotterthantiffany

Unread postby hotterthantiffany » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:52 am

I own land and have it enrolled in MFL but it is closed to public. However, those that are open MFL lands are suppose to have a place for you to park and signage. You are not suppose to take "gifts" from those who may want to hunt there either. Anything over 100 acres is "open".
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:42 am

In N.H. it's called "current use tax", which has a few different levels and matching tax breaks. The highest tax break is classified under "recreation", in which the land owner has to let outdoor enthusiasts, hike / fish / hunt, etc...

It is up to the land pwner to post his land, so lot's of room to roam! Of course common courtesy goes a long way... Live Free or Die is the NH motto.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Jonesy

Unread postby Jonesy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:30 pm

I have hunted quite a bit of MFL land and Forrest Crop Land(which is similar to MFL land but only open to hunting and fishing). There are some good properties enrolled in this program and some not so good properties - as far as hunting goes.
I used to try to contact land owners and build a relationship but came to the conclusion that this was a waste of time. They always had some excuse about why not to let you on...excuses range from they already have people hunting, they lease it out, it is land locked by closed land, etc.
Bottom line is, my recommendation is to know exactly where the property lines are and know your rights when accessing the land. There is a lot of info on DNR website about hunting and accessing the land. The county forester is also a lot of help if you have any questions or run into problems with the land owner.
Ever since I stopped asking for permission and just started hunting the property I have had little issues with hunting and scouting on the properties. Just a FYI - - On "open" enrolled MFL land, allowed recreation includes hunting, fishing, hiking, sight seeing, and cross country skiing. FCL is only open to hunting and fishing.
With all this being said, if I were to run into a land owner or anyone else while hunting on the land, I would be as courteous and nice as possible. But like I said earlier, ever since I just started hunting the land and not worrying about the land owners, I have yet to run into a land owner while hunting.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:11 pm

does anyone have any experience with trapping or placing scouting cameras or leaving some other legal device of any kind on the land (can't think of anything other than traps or cameras) and having them disturbed or removed? Wonder what the rules are on that and how property owners respond?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Jonesy

Unread postby Jonesy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:27 pm

Trapping is not allowed on land enrolled in the program - you need the landowners permission. Don't know why but that is how it is. Don't know if scouting cameras are ok but I have seen scouting cameras left by other hunters on the land but they may have had permission from land owner. Treestands are also to be taken down everyday just like on public/state land unless landowner gives permission to leave stands up.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:07 am

Dan what's up with your buds getting in trouble with scouting?......No, you do not need a weapon with you to walk the land.

Hmmm... After reading what you posted, I bet the sherrif did not understand the laws.
The land owner called the sherrif on them for tresspassing. When they got stopped they told the sherrif it was open MFL land and had to show him a book that listed it to proove it. Then the landowner claimed they could only be there to hunt and if they were not hunting they were tresspassing. The land, like a lot of open MFL land around here, was posted NO TRESSPASSING.
Jonesy

Unread postby Jonesy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:56 am

I believe there are a lot of people who don't know the rules with MFL (even a lot of landowners who have their land enrolled in the program). One thing I would recommend to anyone hunting or using MFL land is to know who the County forrester is for the specific county that the land is enrolled in. I have never had to contact a county forrester to report a issue but I have had friends who have contacted them and the county forrester even called my friend back to explain how and where to access the land. The forrester contacted the landowner who was giving my buddy a hard time and my buddy never had an issue after that.
Know the rules and who to contact and any issues you may come accross should be able to be resolved in a civil matter.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”