Whats up with the 8 pages of Andrae bashing today on Archery

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Re: Whats up with the 8 pages of Andrae bashing today on Arc

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Sure is nice to hear both sides of the story! I am eager to see what he writes up I'd be livid if I were him. I noticed in the fine print the baiting charges were dropped kinda seemed foolish to accuse him of all people to be hunting over bait! Makes sense about the license issue too. Sure is wild how the media can twist that around. The guys on AT are having a field day with this though!

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
spiker2930

Unread postby spiker2930 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:54 pm

I thought it seemed like a manipulation of the facts. Its a shame how the world works. They could do a complete retraction but the damageis already done. What a Railroad! :(
dan wrote:Yesterday I was at work and got an email from a well known outdoor writer who got the posted article as a news release from the DNR... I was shocked cause I do know the whole story behind the scenes. I called Andrae and told him and then forworded him the article. He is writing up a press release for us to put on this and all other sites. He was going to send it to me earlier today but I urged him to have either a lawyer or at least or friend the outdoor writer look at it 1st...
Here is what I know about this... 1st off, you don't believe every thing you hear in the liberal media, do you? You gotta kind of read between the lines.
Last year when Andrae bought his Illinois license for him, his son Cody, and his daughter Ashley, he bought them over the phone. He forgot to purchase the habitat stamp.
The article makes it look like he was hunting without a license, but really an illinois license is about $600 if the fine was $200 who would buy one? Read it again, its worded to look like he had no license.
Second, the wardens found a mineral lick on the lease farm Andrae shares with several other people from Tennesee. No one was caught hunting over the minerals. They wrote a citation anyway and when it went to the DA's office it was thrown out.
Hunting on a leased farm that has minerals somewhere on it is not illeagle. Was it Andraes minerals? I don't know. Maybe.
I know one thing, he don't hunt over bait, but he has used minerals to grow racks in the spring and summer.
The DA threw that out immediatly. So, all there is to the baiting is an accusation. If you read the news release you will see the small print where it says at the bottom the baiting charges were dropped. Believe me, if they could of, they would of.
Further more, I have personally hunted with Andrae in 3 different states, and have been good friends of his and his family for over 20 years ( before anybody new who Andrae was )
His ethics are in my opinion the best I have ever seen in any hunter. He has passed B&C class deer because of the amount of camera light, or because he felt 22 yards is to far of a shot.
I don't hold a candle to him ethically. As a matter of fact, I think I would not be as ethically sound as I am now, if it were not for having him as a mentor and friend.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:58 pm

The guys on AT are having a field day with this though!
Thats what they do best :roll:

A couple publications have contacted Andrae and asked him to give his side so his side will probably end up in a few magazines.
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Unread postby wappkid » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:21 pm

On At it's like arguing with a bunch of 2yr olds.I don't know Andrae personally.He seems like a stand up guy.I read Don Higgins book the other day.And he was telling his story about his biggest buck he killed and all of the controversy surrounding it.He went on to say that how jealously from hunters is where it all starts.He then went on to say "We should not pass judgement on successful hunters until we know the whole story. Thats why I gave Andrae the benefit of the doubt.I knew there was more too the story.There always is.
ryanm

Unread postby ryanm » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:35 pm

some people on AT work pretty hard discrediting "celebrity" hunters... the spin and controversy the media stirs up against hunters is a subtle ploy to taint the image of hunting in non-hunter minds. Not too different from what they did with Nugent's "bait" hunting in commifornia. Thanks for the straight poop Dan.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:18 pm

I gotta admit, I'm a little dissapointed in Andrae. Innocent people don't plea guilty to something they didn't do...Plus he has a prior game violation in WI...I'll wait and see what he has to say...there's really no excuse for not having a license.

His son was involved too...
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:25 pm

I pass no judgement until all the facts are out and then I hardly ever pass judgement we are all humans.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:01 am

Spysar wrote:I gotta admit, I'm a little dissapointed in Andrae. Innocent people don't plea guilty to something they didn't do...Plus he has a prior game violation in WI...I'll wait and see what he has to say...there's really no excuse for not having a license.

He had a license... He didn't have the $5 stamp. He forgot to buy it for himself, Ashley and Cody when he paid for the $600 licenses.
His prior violation in Wisconsin is for hunting after hours which I would bet 1/2 this forum hunts till dusk rather than the minute closing is at.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:18 am

Spysar wrote:I gotta admit, I'm a little dissapointed in Andrae. Innocent people don't plea guilty to something they didn't do...Plus he has a prior game violation in WI...I'll wait and see what he has to say...there's really no excuse for not having a license.

I gotta admit, Im a little dissapointed in YOU.

He HAD licenses.... not the STAMP!!! as said, the fine was 200$.... for a out of state license is way more than that.
You can't kill em on the couch
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:19 am

dan wrote:He had a license... He didn't have the $5 stamp. He forgot to buy it for himself, Ashley and Cody when he paid for the $600 licenses.
His prior violation in Wisconsin is for hunting after hours which I would bet 1/2 this forum hunts till dusk rather than the minute closing is at.

I would bet more than half..That was my thought right away when I saw that story a while ago. I thought maybe there was a deer close or something and didnt want to get down right away and spook it..

I am looking forward to reading Andrae's statement when it comes out..Thanks for the information so far Dan.
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Unread postby wappkid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:05 am

If you want to call me unethical.Last night I was trapped on stand by coyotes.It got dark around 5.40pm and I was on stand until 7.00pm.I had a deer come by grunting right at dark.It was too late to make an ethical shot.And I did not want to get down right away an spook him off.So I grunted at him a little and threw in a snort wheeze to get him to leave.As soon as I did that it sounded like 4 deer came by right under my stand.I was thinking I just want them to leave so I could get down.Then what I thought was deer walking through after the grunting buck was coyotes they cut loose and started howling and honestly it scared the crap out of me.So I sit there for a while until I knew they were gone.Recently I have had 2 of my pups ate by coyotes right out of my yard.So I was not going to take a chance getting down in the middle of a pack of "possible" rabid coyotes.As far as the stamp thing. It was probably an honest mistake.Anymore with different states game laws you need to hire a lawyer to decipher them. Ever tried elk hunting out of state with all of these different zones.Good luck Its fun to try to figure out.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:27 am

Here in IN as long as you un nock that arrow, you can sit in that stand all night if you wanted to.

That's what I do when legal time expires, just un nock and sit there if I need dark to get out of there

wappkid wrote:If you want to call me unethical.Last night I was trapped on stand by coyotes.It got dark around 5.40pm and I was on stand until 7.00pm.I had a deer come by grunting right at dark.It was too late to make an ethical shot.And I did not want to get down right away an spook him off.So I grunted at him a little and threw in a snort wheeze to get him to leave.As soon as I did that it sounded like 4 deer came by right under my stand.I was thinking I just want them to leave so I could get down.Then what I thought was deer walking through after the grunting buck was coyotes they cut loose and started howling and honestly it scared the crap out of me.So I sit there for a while until I knew they were gone.Recently I have had 2 of my pups ate by coyotes right out of my yard.So I was not going to take a chance getting down in the middle of a pack of "possible" rabid coyotes.As far as the stamp thing. It was probably an honest mistake.Anymore with different states game laws you need to hire a lawyer to decipher them. Ever tried elk hunting out of state with all of these different zones.Good luck Its fun to try to figure out.
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:24 am

Brandon wrote:

I gotta admit, Im a little dissapointed in YOU.

He HAD licenses.... not the STAMP!!! as said, the fine was 200$.... for a out of state license is way more than that.

If he's totally innocent, why did he plea guilty to not having a valid license?

From the Illinois Outdoor News:
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service officials announced today that five hunters, including Andrae D'Acquisto - the original owner of Lone Wolf Treestands - and his son Cody D'Aquisito, entered into a plea agreement in a Menard County courtroom relating to baiting charges filed in 2009. The DNR and USFWS investigation documented that the Menard County property hunted by Andrae D'Acquisto, 49, and his associates had been unlawfully baited during the 2009 archery deer season. In the plea agreement, both subjects pled guilty to hunting without a valid Illinois license and habitat stamp and each was fined a total of $2,068. The remaining charges, including hunting deer by the aid of bait, contribute to unlawful baiting and making salt and mineral available for deer were dismissed.

It is not the first time D’Acquisto has run into trouble. Also from the above article:
In 2005, Andrae D'Acquisto was cited for fraudulently obtaining Illinois resident hunting licenses, resident deer permits and providing false information to obtain an Illinois driver's license in Cass County. D'Acquisto ultimately pled guilty to an amended charge of obstructing a peace officer and was fined a total of $2,000 in Cass County.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:41 am

I'm not ivory white either. We've all done stuff we shouldn't have. I'll wait to hear Andraes statement before I comment anymore on this.
beddedbuck

Unread postby beddedbuck » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:44 am

I am not trying to bash Andrae what so ever. But when you are in the public eye especially by self promotion, you become a mentor and someone people look up to and to kill the animals he has, almost a hero. My son especially loves watching whitail addictions and thinks he is "the Man". These are serious violations, and ones he knows better for. I dont know the whole story I read enough to know that having plead guilty in 2 seperate issues (and another being dismissed) is not what I want my Son learning. I DO stop hunting at the minute season is over. I lower my bow, collect my things and leave. I usually dont hunt the same are more than twice in a season anyways and I think most people here are the same way. I am very careful not to break ANY laws, I teach my son an nephews the right way, not the "close enough" way. I think there is a lot of pressure on people in positions such as Andrae to continually shoot huge deer.
I really think there is a fine line between right and wrong, but I think we all know the difference. Obviously Andrae made a mistake and I'm sure he will be more careful in the future. I just think we all have an obligation to teach the youngsters the legal, and ethical way to be sucessful.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”