Late Season Hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Re: Late Season Hunt

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:02 am

Ah that makes sense thanks mike. Two of the biggest bucks we have had on camera since august are showing up within an hour of grandpa dropping the corn but we only have one camera set and cannot pin point where they are coming from. All the deer we THINK are bedding on a neighbors swamp to the east based on the heavy trail they have made but the trail cam pics seem to suggest the bucks wandering in from somewhere in the west. I hate to back track the trails to the east that are heavily traveled by the deer, and hunt them and only see does. I guess I might hunt right over the bait. Thanks and nice work!

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:43 am

Good looking deer Mike and heck of a job hanging in there. Seen many shed yet?

Just checked (3 of 5) cameras yesterday and not looking good so far for me.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:07 pm

Hodag Hunter- on the 6th of December we seen one of the bucks had lost his right side. Around the 14th and 15th we really started to see them drop. A friend of mine shot a nice one last night, when he went to recover it both antlers fell off, he found them.
Here is a picture of a 3 year old 7 pointer, and one day later he dropped his right side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:09 pm

Right side gone the next day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:21 pm

1st of all congratulation's on your buck Mike!! That feeling on wounding a buck Isn't a good one at all. Last year was the 1st deer I've ever wounded In 25 years of bowhunting and he happened to be a 150 Inch class buck. It bothered me to no end, I was sick about It and still am some here and there. I talked with allot of people about that hunt and most said at least you care as others just shrug It off as no big deal. I'm not going to lie, 2 In a year would test my will too as It did yours. It's good that you do care though Mike. I believe that alone makes you a better hunter. You did the right thing though, you jumped back on that horse and finished your ride. You succeeded. Congratulation's on that feet as well.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:09 pm

That's a good strategy mike. I am wondering because you are in there supplying the food and checking cams regularly do you have to be less cautious about scent? I would think that because you are in there the deer know human activity is around but their need for food for survival draws them out in daylight hours. In years past our neighbors supplied food for the deer all winter they have since stopped and our 1 gallon corn pile get absolutely hammered within hours of being stocked up. I think the deer know if they don't get out there when the truck leaves a different deer will be by soon enough to gobble up all the food. I know alot of guys on here may not support these tactics but I understand where you're coming from. The northwoods isn't a land of unlimited food there is no crop spillage or unharvested crops for the deer to feed on at their leisure. Once again great buck and bummer about the loss. Atleast the deer are still out there walking.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:39 am

Nice buck...way to stay with it. Thanks for sharing your story, its the reality of hunting ;)

Mike Foss wrote: "I believe Miles Keller did the same thing many years ago for a big 8 pointer he shot in Wisconsin. I wonder if hes still married LOL"

I went see Miles years ago at a seminar, and if I remember correctly he mentioned he wasn't married any longer and that you have to make sacrifices and he had no regrets, it was a great buck :o
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:40 am

BackWoodsHunter

I still wear rubber boots when I check my cameras, I believe the snow helps with the scent control. I do the same scent control ritual as when I hunt funnels, scrapes, trails etc. Wash cloths in scent away soap, take a shower everytime I go out, cloths are hanging outside and so on. The deer are very cautious as always. I know some hunters will disagree with the use of bait and that is OK, everyone has there own views and methods. This is a great time of year to be hunting, Testosterone levels go down and the only thing on a bucks mind is food, some now can be seen during shooting hours. The only down fall is, anlters are dropping.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:26 am

Nice buck Mike, way to hang in there. It can be tough after wounding, but most of us have done it. We all strive to make that "perfect" shot, and we also, all know it don't always happen that way.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”