I just discovered something interesting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
magicman54494
500 Club

I just discovered something interesting

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:42 pm

I tracked down a buck in Minn. 3 days before the end of the season. I let him go because he wasn't real big and I had time left. On the last day I shot a small 8 pointer. Tonight I was going over my video and discovered it was the same buck! What is amazing about this is that this deer was over 2 miles away from where I saw him 3 days earlier. I passed up a buck the first day I was there and didn't get footage of him but that buck was kind of in between these 2 places. I thought he was a 7 pointer because he only had 3 on the right side. The buck I killed has 4 on the right but thats because he has a split brow. That would be real hard to see. Now I'm wondering if he was also the same buck.

Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Re: I just discovered something interesting

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:08 pm

Some time you can have such surprise...of course all depend of the distance and position to be able to see all the points.
:roll:
And when you can have some legals restriction on shoot, it's always better to be really sure before pushing on the trigger!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:28 am

Tracked the same buck down 2 possibly 3 times. Heck of a job and ment to be in your freezer.

2 miles away from 1st to last encounter.....kind of puts it into perspective how much they move around until the snow gets to deep.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:46 am

i think deer travel alot farther than we think..i get pictures of deer by a small parcel of land about 5 miles away from my main parcel that i hunt...its crazy i get the same bucks on camera in to different places..
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:56 am

That is wild! My buddy was hunting a monster for the past 3 years and it was assumed that his core area was the swamp behind his house. Turns out the neighbors 2 miles to the east had multiple trail cam pics and encounters with the deer and a neighbor 2 miles to the west shot him during gun season. Only to be reemed out by another neighbor who had several trail cam shots of him and claimed it was "his deer". Pretty wild how much they travel and move...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:59 am

I wonder if this is more common for northwoods deer than anywhere else? There are acres upon acres with no human intrusion for them to travel and the food that is safe, ie not bait piles, is a lot harder to come by. I was watching Marsh Bucks again last night and dan was hunting deer with small core areas and only one or two main bedding areas. In the southern part of the state they have no where to go safely but in the northern woods they may need to roam and bed differently all the time to keep safe. Would be interesting to work on a comparison. These deer obviously bed in multiple places as they move in a range of 3-5 miles right?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:19 am

My belief on the northern public deer is the wide range of travel back and forth is almost all during the rut. Before and after they are just like any other deer....they stick relitivly close to prefered food and bedding.

Now the prefered bedding and food can change as the season progresses, hence where a deer is in September may and probably will be different than December.

Had an ok 8 pointer chasing one year, laid eyes on him twice early season and multiple trail cams of him but never had shots. (my tress sadly were out of position, live and learn)

During the rut captured (2) pictures of this deer in my back yard at night. Almost 2.5 miles away per GPS as the crow flies away from my tree stand encounters. Really made me think on two counts, wow these deer do travel far during the rut and we really don't have a lot of "quility" deer up here for him to come to the house to breed/chase those does.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:40 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Tracked the same buck down 2 possibly 3 times. Heck of a job and ment to be in your freezer.

2 miles away from 1st to last encounter.....kind of puts it into perspective how much they move around until the snow gets to deep.

Just to clarify. My first encounter was just stand hunting. This is also the encounter that I can't be sure it was him.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:48 am

Hodag Hunter wrote: My belief on the northern public deer is the wide range of travel back and forth is almost all during the rut. Before and after they are just like any other deer....they stick relitivly close to prefered food and bedding.

Now the prefered bedding and food can change as the season progresses, hence where a deer is in September may and probably will be different than December.

I totally agree

Hodag Hunter wrote: Had an ok 8 pointer chasing one year, laid eyes on him twice early season and multiple trail cams of him but never had shots. (my tress sadly were out of position, live and learn)

During the rut captured (2) pictures of this deer in my back yard at night. Almost 2.5 miles away per GPS as the crow flies away from my tree stand encounters. Really made me think on two counts, wow these deer do travel far during the rut and we really don't have a lot of "quility" deer up here for him to come to the house to breed/chase those does.

This was my same thought about the area I hunted in Minn.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:47 am

Opening weekend of bow this year I saw a nice buck with a unique big fork on his left side. About a week later my buddy was showing me his trail pics from about a 1.5 away as a crow flys. As I was clicking through them I immediately noticed he had this buck on camera and when I looked at the date it was the same night that I saw that buck. The buck was just cruising through a random area where his camera was not in a feeding area or anything. The following weekend my neighbor shot him about a half mile from where I saw him. Pretty crazy that he would move that much in september, and even crazier that he would randomly walk by someones camera that I know. I would like to know really how far away he was actually going.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:07 am

Was your property the bedding area and headed to your buddies to eat? I know you said the camera wasn't in food but near? Any other preferred or similar food sources in that 1.5 mile trek?

I'm assuming your land was beding and your buddie's was a night pic so what was that buck doing in September??? I assume headed to eat? My thoughts on what bucks do in September, eat and bed trying to stay out of the "lime light."

Does sound odd for September travel. Unless the 1/2 mile from your place and where he was killed is inbetween or on the loop between you and your bud.

1/2 mile isn't far at all......just 80 acres long so not surprised for that little of distance between your sighting and the kill area.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:40 pm

Interesting story!! Some deer really like to travel.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:55 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:Was your property the bedding area and headed to your buddies to eat? I know you said the camera wasn't in food but near? Any other preferred or similar food sources in that 1.5 mile trek?

I watched that buck and another one come out of their beds and work there way sorta in that direction. The camera was near food but not over it and not anything different from where he came from. The buck could have had his choice of whatever he wanted for food within 300 yards of his bed. (acorns, corn, beans, alfalfa.)
I'm assuming your land was beding and your buddie's was a night pic so what was that buck doing in September??? I assume headed to eat? My thoughts on what bucks do in September, eat and bed trying to stay out of the "lime light."

Does sound odd for September travel. Unless the 1/2 mile from your place and where he was killed is inbetween or on the loop between you and your bud.

1/2 mile isn't far at all......just 80 acres long so not surprised for that little of distance between your sighting and the kill area.

Yeah I wasnt surprised that he got killed where he did. I was just surprised by how active he was that early in the year.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:09 pm

From what my findings are, does seem that buck went against the grain.

Maybe someone else has seen something similar?
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:24 am

solocam88 wrote:Opening weekend of bow this year I saw a nice buck with a unique big fork on his left side. About a week later my buddy was showing me his trail pics from about a 1.5 away as a crow flys. As I was clicking through them I immediately noticed he had this buck on camera and when I looked at the date it was the same night that I saw that buck. The buck was just cruising through a random area where his camera was not in a feeding area or anything. The following weekend my neighbor shot him about a half mile from where I saw him. Pretty crazy that he would move that much in september, and even crazier that he would randomly walk by someones camera that I know. I would like to know really how far away he was actually going.

I don't think it is uncommon at all to see a buck move a long distance in Sept. A deer's summer range ends Sept and they typically relocate (not all, but a majority from what I have seen on bigger properties). If you run enough trail cameras, even on the fringes (food)... deer will disappear in Sept and some new ones will show up... almost like clockwork right around WI opener/post velvet shed.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”