What do you look for in an aerial photo?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: What do you look for in an aerial photo?

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:39 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:I like the picture as well Dan. Clears things up for sure. Anyway you could point me in a direction the topos I posted?

The bedding dots you marked on the map kind of surprised me... I suspect the bedding in that area is because of them feeding in or around the clear cut.
As far as bedding in that lime green rectangle, I would of gravitated to the point at the bottom left side of the Orange "I" ...
The 5 green dots to the right of the lime box you said were marking bedding points... Two of those are not points but draws or ravines.
Of the 4 that are in line farthest right, the middle two are the ravines.
Good spots to hunt, but probably not bedding positions.
The rest of your bedding picks look good to me... I would make sure you pick out some more similar ones for different winds.

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:43 pm

Guess I need to work on my reading of topo maps. :oops: I like to just get out there and get lost with gps and compass but this property is pretty big and I want to get better at narrowing down the spots so I can cover more ground. I appreciate the helpful response. The beds there were definitely because of the clear cut and all out in the open hardwoods all small and probably doe beds. The isolated 3 black beds were in the pines I mentioned. The orange "I" was along a ridge and looked good to me as well and it was a nice thick ridge but someone else had already walked down the ridge so I avoided where they went. Thanks for the help hopefully I can find a big one in there!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:46 pm

I'm really interested in the point further down on the map just below the number 19. I put a green dot there. To the east is a crop field and private land. and the the south those two rivers meet. There is parking to the southeast side and across the river on the east. I think that is where I will start scouting. If I am reading the map right it appears to be one of the steepest ridges.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:01 pm

I think you meant just "above" the 19 ?
Steepness on a topo is easy to see. its where the elevation lines are closest together. The ones you marked to the left of the "19" look steeper to me. But those 3 spots all look promising.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:06 pm

THANKS! Can't wait to get in there and check it out!
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:13 am

Dan I need some help. I've never seen a rising thermal do this where I hunt. In the hill country I hunt, the rising thermals go straight up or flow with the wind. Now, a falling thermal will flow with the terrain, even horizontal at times. The physics behind this could help me become better hunter...HELP!!! Thanks!!!
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:22 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:Your friend is correct...They bed where they do for multiple reasons, Dans theory is just one of the many reasons that bucks bed where they do. To think they bed there for only one reason is is pretty naive....quit funny actually.

Funny story Ninja..I just found out that the guy I was discussing this with learned everything he knows from you..He said he is a friend of yours.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:27 am

I have been trying to get better at reading topos are well, and most of the time I do alright. Im not as quick at it as you guys, but that will come with time. There is one thing that I still have trouble with, and it may seem like a very elementary question, but how do you tell what is high and what is low? Without being able to read the elevations (like in the map posted in this thread), I have a hard time telling if something is a point or a ravine..
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:39 am

There is one thing that I still have trouble with, and it may seem like a very elementary question, but how do you tell what is high and what is low?

Look at the second map Backwoods posted on 3rd page of this thread, upper right section with #18. First off there's creeks on his maps so it's real easy to see those and think bottom. Also, and every topo has this, there's the #1200 thru one of the contour lines. This 1200 indicates feet above sea level. Every 100' rise or drop in elevation will bring on a new number, in this case 1,300 or 1,100. But, like these maps show too, the numbers can be spread out a lot so you have to search for them sometimes.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:06 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:Dan I need some help. I've never seen a rising thermal do this where I hunt. In the hill country I hunt, the rising thermals go straight up or flow with the wind. Now, a falling thermal will flow with the terrain, even horizontal at times. The physics behind this could help me become better hunter...HELP!!! Thanks!!!

Interesting... Try useing milkweeds to check the thermal currents. its not often I see thermal wind drive straight up from the ground.
I do a lot of studying of thermal winds as I scout and hunt every year. When I scout bedding positions I often check the thermals right at the bed, and used to check at the base of the hill but really founfd there is not much of a need to check it low, cause most often my milkweed seeds end up floating right to the bed or clost to it... I think its no accident why they place there bed in the exact position they do...
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:19 am

3dog wrote:Look at the second map Backwoods posted on 3rd page of this thread, upper right section with #18. First off there's creeks on his maps so it's real easy to see those and think bottom. Also, and every topo has this, there's the #1200 thru one of the contour lines. This 1200 indicates feet above sea level. Every 100' rise or drop in elevation will bring on a new number, in this case 1,300 or 1,100. But, like these maps show too, the numbers can be spread out a lot so you have to search for them sometimes.

Perfect..Thanks for the help! Never thought about the creeks..
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:32 pm

dan wrote:

Interesting... Try useing milkweeds to check the thermal currents. its not often I see thermal wind drive straight up from the ground.
But what are the physics behind this...What makes the thermals flow agents the wind. I have a lot of questions that would help me better understand...like how large is a thermal tunnel, is it 10 feet in diameter or 100 feet? Does it change size with the wind velocity? Does the wind speed effect where the thermal tunnel is from one day to the next? I have at least a 100 more questions that are critical to effectively hunting a thermal wind tunnel....Thanks, you already know all of this and it would save me a ton off testing with smoke bombs!!!

Thats an awesome idea!!! I could do test and film it so we could all see it right here on the beast, with your blessings of coures.....It would be like myth busters...you could pick the spots out on the map that we test and I could do test on the 100's of beds I've already found. That would be really neat and you could add it to one of you DVDs to if you wanted to!!!
I think its no accident why they place there bed in the exact position they do...

And you would be 100% correct!!!
KYBowhunter89

Unread postby KYBowhunter89 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:54 pm

For Cornfed...here's a marking of Ravines, also called cuts, hollows, draws done in blue outline. The Points are done in Orange. The creek bottom itself is where all of the Ravines flow into. The first map is unmarked.

lbl3topo.JPG
lbl3topoEdit.jpg
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:18 am

But what are the physics behind this...What makes the thermals flow agents the wind. I have a lot of questions that would help me better understand...
A scientist could better answer that... I don't know exactly what causes the thermal wind to flow exactly the way it does. For my purposes I only need to know what it does where I hunt, and when it does it.

like how large is a thermal tunnel, is it 10 feet in diameter or 100 feet? Does it change size with the wind velocity? Does the wind speed effect where the thermal tunnel is from one day to the next?

Let me say again, the thermal tunnel is a name that was derived after a hunt with high winds on a friends farm where I was watching leaves blow in a rotation causing a tunnel effect... That does not mean it happens every time or in every situation. The term is used loosely to describe the area where thermal wind and natural wind collide.

Thats an awesome idea!!! I could do test and film it so we could all see it right here on the beast, with your blessings of coures.....It would be like myth busters...you could pick the spots out on the map that we test and I could do test on the 100's of beds I've already found. That would be really neat and you could add it to one of you DVDs to if you wanted to!!!
Actually we tried testing with smoke bombs and could not get it to work. The heat that burns the smoke agent would heat the smoke agent to hot and it would rise almost straight up unless the thermal current was really strong. The only way I could find to test the thermal currents, or the point where they collide was to use milk weed seeds. During testing it was really cool to release handfuls of the seeds and watch there natural flow with the wind & thermals. Trouble was they are very hard to film or stay focussed on with the camera.
However, you are welcome to film and post anything in a positive manner on the forum.

you already know all of this

No, I don't know everything about thermals and wind. I just know what I have seen, and studied.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”