What do you look for in an aerial photo?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: What do you look for in an aerial photo?

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:00 pm

How steep/tall are these ridges you are looking at for bedding. Any change in elevation or more extremes? What about thick cover? if this ridge is a good one, but its very open does that matter?

The highest hills with the steep slopes are best. In hilly terrain most of the bedding occurs at about one elevation and scouting can be done very rapidly just walking that elevation line... The hills of Jefferson county will likely be a little different because we tend not to have the steepness or long connecting ridges here. However, when they do bed on the hills here, the same rules apply.

Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:00 am

dan wrote:Check out this post and see if it makes sense...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2288&p=22088&hilit=drawing#p22088

that helped me! we are about to get 1-2 inches today, i plan to scout tomorrow and see if I can find any buck beds... mostly for next year. i stayed out of this hilly area bc i wasnt confident i wouldnt screw it up... thanks.
You can't kill em on the couch
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:11 am

That helps alot dan thanks. I think I can make sense of it. I guess I need to watch the hill country video to get clued in on the thermals. So when they bed on the slope of a ridge its always with the wind coming from behind them? over the ridge and over their back? and then they face the valley below to pick up on the daytime thermals and possibly spot intruders? I can make sense of this I suppose. Then the only way to attack/sneak in on them would be to approach from the ridge and set up off their butt-side or head side? as to avoid the wind? say the wind was from the north and the deer was bedded facing south you'd have to creep in and set up directly east or west to be detected no? and where do they travel when they leave this hill top beds? I'm sure it varies based on where they are heading...thanks again!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:51 am

Seems like you get the concept fairly well Backwoods...
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:25 pm

now it's time to put it into actioN!!!!!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:45 pm

I've recently started looking at topo maps. The heavy stacks of lines clearly indicate changes in elevation. So when studying a map and you are looking at primarily wet ground and the topo indicates a small high spot is that a fairly likely spot for a buck bed? I'm talking about when there is just ring or "one line" indicating the slightest change in elevation. When I figure out the copying and drawing of maps for myself I'll post an example.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:51 pm

and what are the chances the changes in elevation indicated in the swamp are low spot?
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:32 pm

Here is my topo map for a new piece I've recently scouted and hope to hunt.

The red dot is access from the road (yellow dot is summer access when there is not a foot of snow). The green rectangle is what I've done a good amount of scouting in. The orange "I" is a ridge east of the creek and running parallel that the deer seem to have a heavy trail on. The Blue X is a fresh clear cut where they appear to be feeding. The black dots are all the beds I've found.

The lime green dots are points I picked out on the aerial. Based on what I've read they appear to be areas to check for bedding. I didn't focus on elevation or winds much just kind of narrowed the area down a little bit. What do you think? Attached is my marked up topo and the clean one. I can add an aerial too if need be.

Thanks for the help!

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:31 am

Question for ya Dan..

I was talking to another hill country hunter and we were talking about deer bedding and stuff, and he said he is not completely convinced on the idea of a thermal tunnel..He said its no question that the two airs meet at a certain point, but he doesnt think the wind kinda swirls around and creates a tunnel. What do you think?

And also, he believes the reason the deer bed where they do has more to do with getting their scent away from predators than being able to smell predators coming. The thermals take their scent up, and the wind coming over the hill blows it out high above the terrain, so they are not detected. I didnt have much of an argument because I dont have much experience with it, but what can you tell me? It really doesnt make any difference as far as how to hunt them or where they are bedded, but Im just curious..
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:12 am

Question for ya Dan..

I was talking to another hill country hunter and we were talking about deer bedding and stuff, and he said he is not completely convinced on the idea of a thermal tunnel..He said its no question that the two airs meet at a certain point, but he doesnt think the wind kinda swirls around and creates a tunnel. What do you think?

I don't know if there is always a "tunnel", sometimes it don't seem like it, but other times you can see the rotation with leaves, debree, and milkweed.
I got the name from a time I was out actually on Joe Rundys farm and the wind was whipping like 30 or 40 MPG over the hill and where the thermal wind met you could see leaves rotating in a circle all the way down the ridge.

Take a look at this framable drawing... PICTURE at the bottom represents the ridge. Black arrows represent the normal wind. Blue arrows represent the thermal wind. When they collide at an angle there is bound to be some rotation... Now thats not to say that some wind gusts don't blow in a lot of directions or tunnel around obstacles like terrain and trees.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:20 am

he believes the reason the deer bed where they do has more to do with getting their scent away from predators than being able to smell predators coming. The thermals take their scent up, and the wind coming over the hill blows it out high above the terrain, so they are not detected. I didnt have much of an argument because I dont have much experience with it, but what can you tell me? It really doesnt make any difference as far as how to hunt them or where they are bedded, but Im just curious..

If you don't believe they are bedding there to smell you coming, just try and sneak up on them without them winding you... Hill country is the toughest.
Hunting the ridges in Hill country, I can say this, sometimes the thermals and wind do carry your scent up into the sky. But not most of the time.
If it did carry scent up and away who wouldn't just get there in the morning early and sit there all day undetected?
Dropping the milkweed seeds while your hunting really gives you a great sense of exactly what the wind currents are doing. And most of the time the do end up carrying your scent along the ground level at some point.
At ground level where deer bed? there is no question that scent stays low.
Just try and hunt the bedding points off the ground.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:17 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:Question for ya Dan..

And also, he believes the reason the deer bed where they do has more to do with getting their scent away from predators than being able to smell predators coming. The thermals take their scent up, and the wind coming over the hill blows it out high above the terrain, so they are not detected. I didnt have much of an argument because I dont have much experience with it, but what can you tell me? It really doesnt make any difference as far as how to hunt them or where they are bedded, but Im just curious..

Your friend is correct...They bed where they do for multiple reasons, Dans theory is just one of the many reasons that bucks bed where they do. To think they bed there for only one reason is is pretty naive....quit funny actually.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:34 am

Makes sense guys..thanks for clearing that up

And thanks for that awesome picture Dan! Definitely framable! Haha
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:27 pm

I like the picture as well Dan. Clears things up for sure. Anyway you could point me in a direction the topos I posted?

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”