Can pressure help?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Can pressure help?

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:11 pm

Or does it always make it tougher??

Reason I ask is that my family's land is kind of a circus. My uncle and his kids come up there all fall and drive four-wheelers and jeeps around the woods, partyin, hoopin' and hollerin', messin around, etc. They use the land as a place to get away from home and party (my uncle even thought it was stupid for me to put in food plots because "the deer dont need any more food")..not much we can do about it since they are half owners, and its not worth the confrontation. Anyways, this gives me all the more reason to find the beds and hunt them there. There are a ton of big deer in the area, and I always get big deer on camera, so I know they are finding somewhere good to hide. Anyways, I know its not hunting pressure that Im referring, but its human activity..

Do you think that those guys up being up there makin commotion all the time could actually help my hunting by making the deer stick to their remote bedding locations and sticking to a certain routine, or is it a hindrance no doubt? Will it make the deer more nocturnal and harder to kill?

Whats your take on it? The land is awesome, some of the best land you could ask for, but over the past few years I have spent alot of time contemplating whether or not its even worth hunting up there with those guys around (and Ive actually had years where I got so sick of it that I didnt hunt there), but maybe its not as bad as I think??

Bucky

Re: Can pressure help?

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:28 pm

How big is the property? Do you have roads that go all over the property - is the "circus" traveling or localized?!? Is this mainly weekend human activity? Is it close enough to hunt during the week for you? Do the deer bed on your uncles property or just feed there? I'm not real familiar with MN hunting regs, but a standing food source this time of year is really a hot ticket. So a food plot still standing now, even though it had lots of commotion in Aug-Oct, could be dynamite late season spot if big enough (smaller plots less than 1/2-1 acre usually get wiped out by deer to fast depending on population). Flat land, marsh, or hilly?

Human activity like you describe is not ideal for killing older bucks... but if the land is big enough and commotion is localized (in location or time = weekends) you should be okay. Do you ever get daytime photos of "target" animals on your uncles property?

How many days/hours did you hunt this past year?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:52 am

The property is 320 acres, and yes there are roads/trails that go all over the property (and you wouldnt be having as much fun if you didnt travel on ALL of them). All of the activity is on the weekends, and unfortunately for me, I can only hunt there on the weekends. I go to school 5 days a week and the land is over 2 hours from me.

The food plots are clover, so Im not sure how much they are getting hit right now. I will find out next week. The land is kinda marshy (there are pics in the scouting section in a thread called "where do they bed in this stuff")

I didnt get any daytime pics of mature animals this year that I can remember. My cams were set up on the edges of the plots, and all photos of big deer were at night. Im not sure if they bed on our property or not, I'll have to do some scouting and find out. Ive never looked for beds while scouting in previous years, so we'll find out in a few months. I didnt get to hunt there much this year..I think I only got to hunt there 3 weekends this fall, and I'll be hunting there all of next week, but this circus activity has been going on for about 10 years now.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:49 am

This sound very similar to the land I hunt in Northern MN, lots of 4 wheeler traffic, duck and grouse hunters and a few neighbors pound the woods every weekend all fall.

I have found a couple of buck beds righ in the middle of this traffic, one just a few hundred yards from our duck blind but I can't say for sure if these are primary beds that get used a lot all fall or just during certain times during the season so I have a little more work to do. I think most of the mature bucks hang out in remote locations near a river or deep in some of the large cedar swamps in the area.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:55 am

I hunt under similar circumstances. It's good farmland that has some truly mature bucks and plenty of 2-1/2 and 3-1/2'S running around. My main problemt is that there is 5 other guys that hunt it too. These guys do not pay attention to wind, litter the property with ladder stands, and frankly just aren't the best hunters, but although they see little success are pretty certain they are doing everything right. They don't listen to anyone else around them are not very willing to change although they are not successful.

This makes it particularily challenging for me because on this 250 acre property (only 100 or so wooded) there is alot of pressure. Just when I got everything lined up one of these guys will go in and move a ladder stand and then let it "rest" for a day or two, you get the point. My advice is this.

Keep it a secret - if you find good sign or a buck bed, don't tell anyone, even though your uncle may just 4 wheel if you tell him about something and he senses excitement in your voice, he will check it out and potentially screw it up. Trust me, it's tough to not tell anyone, but I was burned bad once and that's all it took to learn my lesson.

Hunt off Times - I know you said that it will be hard because of school etc. , but if you can squeeze a day in later in the week you will be surprised how fast those deer will revert back to before the ATV marathon took place.

Map it out - Take a look at an arial photo and draw all the trails and other areas that have higher human disturbance and then find the sweet spots where the people ain't. Chances are this is where you'll find your beds.

This would be my starting point..........

P.S. - The tree I shot my buck out of this year had never been hunted before. The guys I hunt with already carved a nice hunk out of it for a ladder stand next year! :lol:
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:35 am

Sounds like the public land I hunt... If the land surrounding gets very little activity they might be bedding on the neighbors. But mature whitetails will bed and live really close to human invasion as long as it happens where they expect it. There are probably some little hideouts where they are living where nobody goes. They might go by a 100 yards away, but not right into the bedroom. I would take a close look at the wet areas on the property. Cattails, dogwood, thick brush... In that order.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:38 am

dan wrote:Sounds like the public land I hunt... If the land surrounding gets very little activity they might be bedding on the neighbors. But mature whitetails will bed and live really close to human invasion as long as it happens where they expect it. There are probably some little hideouts where they are living where nobody goes. They might go by a 100 yards away, but not right into the bedroom. I would take a close look at the wet areas on the property. Cattails, dogwood, thick brush... In that order.

Thats the answer I was looking for. The good thing about those guys only driving around is that they never venture off the trails. Your answer was kind of along my line of thinking..

One more question..What the is dogwood? :oops:
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:42 am

DropTyne wrote:Keep it a secret - if you find good sign or a buck bed, don't tell anyone, even though your uncle may just 4 wheel if you tell him about something and he senses excitement in your voice, he will check it out and potentially screw it up. Trust me, it's tough to not tell anyone, but I was burned bad once and that's all it took to learn my lesson.

Thats not a problem at all..

1) They know they me off so we try to avoid each other, and 2) they only hunt during gun season, and even then its pretty rare to see them out in the woods or in a stand.. Hunting is not something they are interested in, so even if I would tell them, they wouldnt care (although would probably drive a 4wheeler there to check it out or ask me how the hunting is going).
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:43 am

What the is dogwood?

Red brush
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:52 am

dan wrote:
What the is dogwood?

Red brush

Hmm...I just googled it, and I dont think we have any of that..

I'll stick to the swamps that thick stuff :mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”