Whats up with this deer?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Whats up with this deer?

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:53 pm

I've been thinkin lately, and this got me wondering..I got a picture of an absolute slob back on September 25th. It was a daylight picture, about 10 mins after sunset (20 mins of light left), and it was on the edge of one of my food plots. I dont have any beast-style preseason scouting done, so I know nothing about the bedding areas on my land. Anyways, I only have one picture of this buck, and have never seen him other than the picture. I would like to think he was bedding nearby, but I would think I would've gotten more than one pic of him if he was bedding nearby and heading towards my plot each evening.

Do you think he is bedding nearby? Was he just wandering, and happened to be by my plot at that time that day? What do you guys think?

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Whats up with this deer?

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:34 pm

Your reading my mind cornfed.I was gonna make a post tonite on exactly the same subject. I got 2 pics of a slob on a small parcel myself it also is a bedding heaven. I was,nt sure how I got only the 2 pics around September 1st (10 minutes b4 sunset) and then nothin . At first i just thought well I,ll start gettin some nightime pics nothing. I think those big guys just moved on .They dug into there little out of the way spot .It,s so tough in the farmland .You think you know every piece of your land but there,s always a couple little spots that might get overlooked. Like Dan says in the farmland you have to inspect every inch grid by grid .I always talked about a spot right next to the main road where no-one ever hunts i always said I bet that big buck lives in there.Everyone always said to me " You're crazy there's no way a big buck would live there" But after watching Dan,s video i thought I,m gonna put a camera in there .
I never got onto this deer ,but it was pretty cool that my hunch was right .This was definitely his bedding area .The picture was taken a 1/4 mile away from the 80 acre woodlot i thought he was living in. This spot is 40 feet from a main road I,ve never seen anyone ever hunt it the tree i hunted him in was 15 feet from the road. It reminds me of a story Andre DaQuisto told about a huge buck he was hunting .He was set-up in a tree real close to a major road .He talked about how cars would drive by looking at him thinking what the is that guy doing hunting right on a road.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:58 am

That is a tough call cornfed, just shooting off the hip here but your food plot may have been the preferred food source in Sept so the buck was bedding there but then he moved on to a different area when the food sources changed.

He also could have moved on after he felt some huntng pressure on your land.

I say you get in there and scout the crap out of your land, find his exact bed and hunt this area early season, on a moon day if possible.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:09 am

headgear wrote:That is a tough call cornfed, just shooting off the hip here but your food plot may have been the preferred food source in Sept so the buck was bedding there but then he moved on to a different area when the food sources changed

Makes sense, but I dont understand why I only got one pic of him..Ive had the camera in that spot since July. I wouldve thought that the plot wouldve been his food source for more than one day. That is why I wonder if he was just out wandering when I got the pic, but at the same time, I dont know why he would be out wandering at that time of day if he was a long way from his bed..
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:38 am

Its possible the buck just moved into your area for a short time and moved on. What kind of camera do you have? One pic and any human scent in the area might have been enough for this particular buck to move on. It could have also been something unrelated that pushed him away.

I have a real nice buck behind my house, in years past I made the mistake of leaving my camera out there too long to get more pics of him. After about 2-3 photos he never shows up again. This coming year I am going to pull my cam after I confirm he is still around. I can't really hunt his bed because I am surrounded by private land so odds that I connect with him are slim but I will still give it a try but I reserve most of my time to hunting the beds I have scouted out on public land.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:49 am

I have found that 1 photo is all I get generally on a mature buck, unless I move the camera again. I think they just try to go around the camera once they see, hear, smell something they don't like. If you are getting pics of him during daylight or right at the fringe of daylight before the rut in most cases I would say you are within 100 yards of the bed.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:40 am

My guess is the buck lives far away and he wandered over by you. If he lived real near you would be getting more pics.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:48 am

magicman54494 wrote:My guess is the buck lives far away and he wandered over by you. If he lived real near you would be getting more pics.

I agree with Magic. Or he is dead already.

To headgear....I have bucks that come and go in my back yard all the time and capture multiple pictures of them. Never have found any pattern to the arrivals. Some, but not many and rare, are daylight pictures, most are just passing thru. I do bait corn legally in the back yard and have (2) mini clover plots, so really don't expect a whole of daylight activity from "big" bucks. Does, fawns and 1.5 year olds come and go a lot in the daylight.
ryanm

Unread postby ryanm » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:26 am

Bucks if caught on flash will learn to avoid the camera, but not move out of the area. I saw this happen one morning with a buck that showed up on the camera for 3 days... couple days later while hunting I saw him go off trail through some red dogwood 10yds in front of the camera because he didn't like it.

how big is your property? Where I hunt parcels are not big enough to keep bucks off neighboring properties
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:32 am

[quote="Hodag Hunter"]
To headgear....I have bucks that come and go in my back yard all the time and capture multiple pictures of them. Never have found any pattern to the arrivals. [quote]

I guess I have noticed the same thing, bucks kind of randomly passing through so it could be that or just patterns changing.

This buck I do believe hangs in the general area, I have seen him in velevet once this past summer, got pics of him in the late summer, fall last year, and just got another one of him late season. Showed up at high noon on December 1st, the one and only daylight pic of him, snow on my camera blocked everything but a few tines. So it could be random stuff or he could be avoiding the area because of the cams or me checking the cams. Hard to say for sure.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:02 am

I should add my cameras are Predator "black flash". Maybe the flash or red glow cameras do spook big bucks like someone mentioned.

The other thing is since it's my back yard....its a strip of woods about 200 yards by about a half mile with faily large woods on either end. More of a travel coridor?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:19 am

I should have mentioned my cam's are the older cheap version with a regualr flash, so not ideal.

I also have a small strip of woods, maybe 20 yards by a half mile that connecting two larger chunks of woods. Great for the deer to travel through, just not bucks during shooting hours, way too open for them.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:09 am

Could be the scent from placing the camera if he was bedding nearby, which I would assume if you got a daylight pic at the time of season you mentioned. Mature bucks don't tolerate cameras or human scent much within the area I refer to as there safe zone. Especially if he just moved to that location and then right away smells human.
My biggest buck pictures always seem to be the 1st day I put the camera out telling me that they don't like it and change.
Could be he was spooked thru... But wandering around just passing thru in daylight? Nope, I don't buy that. Mature bucks don't seem to do much of anything on accident. There is a reason he was there. The question is why did he not come back around? My guess was human avoidance.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:23 am

I missed another point Dan brought up about scent. I check my cameras in the back yard by driving the wheeler right up to them.

Yeah, the deer know there is a wheeler trail there but the only scent I lay on the ground is right buy the camera. There is no scent trail for the deer to cross before walking by the camera. Does it help? again it doesn't seem to matter to the young bucks and does, big bucks I think just don't mover thru this area if no human scent or not. Plenty of other "corridors" to cross without any homes near by.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:33 am

dan wrote:Could be the scent from placing the camera if he was bedding nearby, which I would assume if you got a daylight pic at the time of season you mentioned. Mature bucks don't tolerate cameras or human scent much within the area I refer to as there safe zone. Especially if he just moved to that location and then right away smells human.
My biggest buck pictures always seem to be the 1st day I put the camera out telling me that they don't like it and change.
Could be he was spooked thru... But wandering around just passing thru in daylight? Nope, I don't buy that. Mature bucks don't seem to do much of anything on accident. There is a reason he was there. The question is why did he not come back around? My guess was human avoidance.

That makes sense to me..I had a camera there on the edge of the food source since July, and hadnt been to that cam in over a month, which is why I didnt think it was due to being spooked by scent, but like you said, maybe he just moved into the area - and maybe the sight of the camera spooked him??

I didnt buy the wandering around thing either, but I couldnt come up with another reason..I agree that mature deer usually arent places without purpose.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”