It's the late season in WI- are deer in your plots?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

It's the late season in WI- are deer in your plots?

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:42 pm

Wondering who planted fall food plots and is seeing them successfully draw deer here in the late season with a little snow and ice on the ground? I am headed north this weekend to poke around our land and see if anything is being pursued on my plots, highly unlikely, but hope to be surprised. I am wondering what you all plant here in Wisconsin as a draw for late season deer. If you plant nothing what do you see as being a draw for deer food wise in your area? Unfortunately by us it tends to be corn piles but I have a healthy clear cut with lots of tasty poplar buds to check out too.
Good luck all in the late season

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
solocam88
500 Club

Re: It's the late season in WI- are deer in your plots?

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:38 am

Absolutely nothing beats corn and beans lateseason.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:08 am

Solo - Have you ever tried turnips? I watched a friends turnip plot get hammered by deer Oct 15th-Rut and I assume with colder weather it got even better. From my experience beans are the late season go to if they are around though...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:05 pm

Yes I have planted turnips, they do get hit pretty good, but nothing like the corn and especially the beans. A very small bean plot can feed a lot of deer in the winter if it doesnt get pounded by them earlier in the year.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:08 pm

i gotta agree with solocam..turnips can be good and so can brassicas..but if you got corn and soybeans you got the magic ticket...the deer will cross over my turnip and brassicas plots to go the extra 100 yds to the soybeans! the deer will hit those beans early season all the way to late season until there gone
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:08 am

the only thing left in my area im currently hunting is, about 8 inch alfalfa that regrew from last cutting in fall. and it was still lush/green before the snow and they were eating well. i havent even went into the field since the snow but will check probably tomorrow. i have no say so with crops in this area so i get what i get.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:48 pm

we tried turnips this year with limited success. There is NO agriculture anywhere near us and the plot was just too small and too weedy. I planted in early may and we had 2 weeks of no rain which I do believe killed alot of my seeds. The ones that did sprout and grow got nipped off before they ever produced a turnip.

Has anyone ever tried sugarbeets? i was reading about them last year as the hot ticket to plant for late season and then it seemed like seed for them was unavailable for whatever reason.

This coming season I am trying to get my hands on a tractor/tiller to plant our 11acre field. It might have more an impact on drawing deer than my 1/4acre plot I planted last year. I have heard nothing but good things about chicory and buck forage oats. I think if we can get a large plot in I'll plant strips and see what works and what doesn't.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:41 pm

Plant all soybeans and you wont be dissapointed. Dont screw around with anything else.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:45 am

Back woods try and get a soil sample yet this year if possible.

For 11 acres of planting you may be dissapointed if the ph content is not with-in specs for what ever you decide to plant.

I would do a soybean/corn mix, maybe clover for summer and delay the soybean planting so it doesn't get hammered too early.

Your soil may require to have lime spread and it may be to late already this year. Pellets in the spring will work faster with the soil but will be more money than powder.

Don't be afraid to go the the local feed mills in Rhinelander or Tomahawk......they know how poor our soil is here and will have "generic" seeds that will work with our area. I wouldn't waste money on buying seeds marketed for actual deer food plots.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:02 am

by the time and money you spend on food plot products like turnips and things..its probably cheaper to go out and buy 1 bag of soybeans for cheaper price and you get more seeds in the bag and have better success over those than anything else
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:54 am

I think it's a great idea to till up your 11 acres. For the late season I agree with solo on the soybeans and corn.Myself I have 2 one acre plots and 2 1/4 acre plots.Whatever you go with in the small plot will be gone by late season or should be.I would not plant corn in your small plot because the coons will have a feast with it since it is so small.I've been there :oops: I have planted soybeans in my one acre plots and by novmember there all chewed up.This year I went with oats and winter pea mix and by gun season they had it mowed down pretty tight.They deer were still coming to it though.11 acres should be enough food for the whole season.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:18 am

I have planted turnips in the past, and they saw little action. I too have heard good things about them, but they didn't work for me. I also read somewhere, that it might take a 2 years or more for the deer to figure them out.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:28 am

Thanks for all the input guys but how much can I expect to spend on a bag of soybean seeds? Also hodag I had a soil test done on a small plot I put in back in the woods and the results came back surprisingly well as the soil had a well balance and the test came back showing that it needed nthing. The results said we could add lime but it wasn't necessary. Unfortunately we planted during a dry spell and the weeds really took over.
The biggest problem we have with plots is being able to get them to sprout without the tops being nipped off by deer. When I say there is no agriculture in miles I mean there is NONE what so ever. So any field we plant is going to get hammered. The one thing we have going for us is that the neighbor to the south just had tons of land clear cut so hopefully the deer will feed on young popple shoots until our plots become established. The land is in limbo with family politics and being for sale so I am not 100% sure if we will plant the whole field. Time will tell.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:36 am

If you need some small equipment let me know.

It won't take care of your 11 acres but I have a Summit disc with cultipacker, pull seed spreader and a 30 or 40 gallon pull behind sprayer. These little tools are great for the 1/4 to 1 acre hunting plots pulled behind an ATV.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:45 am

How late can you plant beans? Could I put them in some time around July/August in order to avoid some of the summer mowing by the deer? Will they get mature? I'm thinking about the beans after I've had mixed results w/ rape and 'nips.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”