What are the five best deer states?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
solocam88
500 Club

Re: What are the five best deer states?

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:53 am

Wisconsin
Illinois
Kansas
Iowa
Missouri

Those are my top five not totally sure on the order though cause I haven't hunted them all personally.

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:47 am

IT's all a matter of opinion, isn't it? There are great spots al over the mid west. There are crappy spots all over too. I think the SE WI marshes are some of the best public you're gonna find. There also offer some of the toughest and most uncofortable hunting around too. It's deffinatly not like sitting on the edge of a food plot or on an oak ridge by a corn field. Like we see our "proffesionals" do on TV.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:56 am

Sam Ubl wrote:
Spysar wrote:Wisconsin still in the top 5?

The highest ranked state amongst all for book bucks hasn't changed... Yes, Wisconsin is still in the top 5, and IMO, number 1 over any other state.

1) Wisconsin
2) Illinois
3) Iowa
4) Kansas
5) Missouri

First off I've never hunted WI.

I was asking about now. 2010. All I hear on this forum is how the DNR has decimated the herd. I know the history of how great Wisconsin is, but what about now? Is your answer that it's still #1?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:59 am

SpySar - If you are comparing WI's public to that of Kansas, Iowa, North Dakota, or Missouri etc no way. The hunting pressure here (WI) blows what I have seen in these other states out of the water. The age structure in Iowa, Missouri, and North Dakota from my experience is much better than WI generally - there are certain spots in each state where the opposite may be true (more 3-4+ year old bucks in those states per capita than in WI). There are some private lands in WI that I know of in Central and Western WI that would rival those of TV personalities in Southern Iowa/Northern MO though...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:03 pm

Bucky wrote:SpySar - If you are comparing WI's public to that of Kansas, Iowa, North Dakota, or Missouri etc no way. The hunting pressure here (WI) blows what I have seen in these other states out of the water. The age structure in Iowa, Missouri, and North Dakota from my experience is much better than WI generally - there are certain spots in each state where the opposite may be true (more 3-4+ year old bucks in those states per capita than in WI). There are some private lands in WI that I know of in Central and Western WI that would rival those of TV personalities in Southern Iowa/Northern MO though...

Well said...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:11 pm

Hmm...

To ask about right here and now for 2010 is hard to say???
But using my research from my "dreams and wishes" from the past 5 years I would go with KY.
And NO, not the jelley the state of Kentucky...
If you want a booner then you got to play the lottery of the rcord books for that answer.

I selected KY for value and opportunity of a 130" or MORE, without taking money from my kids college fund, plus length of seasons...

Value, imo equals = public land, DIY, length of season to fit a busy lifestyle, cost of non resident license, odds, etc. Etc. Etc...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:36 pm

I agree with everyone, the question is pretty loaded as well however. I think for the most part if your in the Midwest you're in the game somewhat. The genetics, the food, ane minerals to grow big bone are all here. I'm not biased by any means since I think all of the states mentioned can give up a giant at any time. I will say this, I believe that if the age structure gets improved in Wisconsin You could see the record books get rewritten again. The genetics are superior, the soil and food is rich, and we are not lack of cover like a lot of other Midwest states which I think is an advantage that allows bucks to slip through the cracks for an extra year or two of age. This also makes it one of the toughest Midwestern states to successfully harvest a mature buck in. Like Dan says, I have seen it before myself, a solid Wisconsin 3-1/2 will generally do 130s to 140's, you give them an extra year or two and they blow up into leviathans.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:18 am

What are the best states now in 2014? Still the same as what you thought in 2010?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:35 am

My list is as follows
1. Kentucky
2. Ohio
3. Nebraska
4. Kansas
5. Iowa

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:07 pm

Iowa had less than 100,000 deer killed total in 2014. I am not sure Iowa would be in the top five.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:09 pm

I guess I misunderstood, I thought we were talking about the quality of the animal not the quantity lol in that case Texas and Michigan would have to be in that discussion

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:16 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:I guess I misunderstood, I thought we were talking about the quality of the animal not the quantity lol in that case Texas and Michigan would have to be in that discussion

You would have to consider Michigan. The WR plastic rack is from that state. ;)
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:20 pm

Still
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota
Missouri
Illinois

People are seeing less deer in all states compared to yesteryear and they are still the best thing going.

[size=75][b][i][ Post made via Android ][/i][/b][/size] [img]http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/images/mobile/Android.png[/img]
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:21 pm

Spy has those Catskill mountain bruisers in his backyard...... :whistle:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:28 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:I guess I misunderstood, I thought we were talking about the quality of the animal not the quantity lol in that case Texas and Michigan would have to be in that discussion

Quantity often leads to quality.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”