How many deer is enough?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

How many deer is enough?

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:59 pm

I am sure this is going to get a couple people ticked, but that is not the intent of this post. It is strictly to get people to think. I have read and heard just as much if not more people that I have talked to sing the same tune for the past few years (and I have also). There are just not as many deer; the DNR has to stop giving out so many tags… The thing that drives me nuts is these are the same guys that are hunting all of the gun hunts and doing numerous drives shooting multiple deer a year (I know of some bow hunters that have done the same, I am not picking on the gun hunters). I know for a fact that there is nowhere as many deer as there used to be in the public land areas I hunt and many private areas too. For the past three years I shot a doe and a buck and then put my bow on the hook for the year simply because of the population decline. In the past when you shot a deer with the bow you were tagged out, same with gun unless you had a bonus tag… these were supposedly the “glory days” when deer were everywhere. The reason it was the “glory days” was because the harvest was limited by law. The blame just can’t be put on the DNR for the population decline; it also has to be put on us the hunters, after all we are the ones that shot all the deer. The deer population is down because we used the limitless amount of tags the DNR gave us. I know there are other factors like predators, loss of habitat, etc. but I hope some hunters realize how important are responsibility as conservationists is before they pull the trigger on their gun/release for the 3rd or 4th time in a season. Want the glory days back??? then let’s stop shooting so many deer.

tutone84

Re: How many deer is enough?

Unread postby tutone84 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:22 pm

I agree to a point, but I will say this. In my opinion, and I hate to say this but I think the DNR might actually know what they're doing. I say this because in the last few years I have never seen so many big Bucks being shot in my life, all over Wisconsin. And the only way to do this is to manage the does, and leave the smaller bucks go, the hunters are learning the the buck part and the DNR are doing the rest by giving away doe tags. Just my 2 cents.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:52 pm

I am in the heart of the cwd zone.. two years ago I shot a doe & then a buck with my bow.. I then quit hunting. I did not even gun hunt because ii did not want to kill another deer....
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:38 pm

All that is necessary is the # it takes to fill your freezer to feed yourself and your family..........provided your family isn't the whole county!!!!!!!
Seriously, a very good question and I do hope it promotes thinking about the subject.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:05 pm

I personally know guys who own/manage hundreds of acres of land in the CWD areas and it seems like they hunt all the seasons for the thrill of killing more than anything. Granted they all seem to know people who want and need meet but its becoming ridiculous. Shooting deer out of combines, off snowmobiles, driving up to a field getting out and gunning down a few does and driving up to them and loading them up and leaving. Its neat they have those opportunities and that many deer but its disgusting how easy it is for them to shoot deer. My one friends family used to the opportunity to "manage" their herd. With all the free unlimited EAB and the ag tags they shot up all the freak deer on their land and all the mutants. And did their best to get them out of their. The results are awesome and they now have big bucks running around every acre of their land. But the means to get to the end they are at is borderline ridiculous. More irritating is when hunters like this brag about their hunts and tell me, a hunter of the northwoods where deer are few and far between, that I don't hunt hard enough. What bothers me more than people shooting that many deer, is that the people who shoot that many deer think they are great hunters because of it. Truly they just have greater opportunity that the rest of us.
I'll get off my soapbox now
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:15 pm

I have never been one to kill a bunch of deer in one season. If I get one deer with the bow and one with the gun I consider that to be a great season and have plenty of venison to enjoy for the entire year.
What gets me is the guys that kill 6+ deer out of a small area for many years in a row and they then complain that thanks to the DNR there are no deer around! :roll: Some people feel the need to kill every deer that is in front of them and never show any restraint by passing on a deer. I don't have a problem with that I guess as long as they are using every bit of meat or are donating it to someone that needs it.
I actually get satisfaction from passing on deer knowing that I am doing my share to improve the population in areas that need it especially by passing on doe's. I made a commitment to not shoot any doe's in my main areas I hunt this year because I feel that they are being mismanaged by the DNR.
Even if I kill a few deer and don't plan on killing another I will still hunt right up to the end of late season just because I love the hunting experience so much. To me just seeing deer is considered a success even if I never draw my bow back.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:23 am

The blame just can’t be put on the DNR for the population decline; it also has to be put on us the hunters, after all we are the ones that shot all the deer.

I disagree... I am shooting a lot less deer since the WDNR started there killing frenzy. By choice. When the population was high enough to enjoy killing a few extra, I bought doe permits and did just that. Now the only reason I shoot does is because I am forced to in order to "earn" my buck permit. Do I fall into the trap a little? Yes, I do keep hunting after I get my buck for another or bigger buck. That is not what is doing the damage, nor is it the mentality or hunting tactics of 90% of the guys on this forum... We are the elite few that know how to manage deer and care about doing so. Most hunters just want to hunt and shoot and are happy with what ever they get. The laws are designed around these people and have always been.
They will take what ever the law allows and will be happy with what they get unless its an empty tag. Thats not us.
The WDNR is to blame, along with Governor Adolf Doyle who fired the WDNR representatives and employees who actually new how to manage deer thru wildlife degrees, training, and years of experience, and replaced them with his buddies who did campaign fundraisers and who knows what else. These people have absolutely no background in wildlife management
and help previous jobs such as Doyles secretary, his lawyer, his neighbor, etc... When they fired long term wildlife expert running the DNR all they could say about the lawyer they put in his place was " Once fished the mighty wolf river" Who the hasn't? Do we really need this guy running the WDNR?
You know, you are right though, blame does fall on us "hunters", but not for hunting, but rather for not standing up and doing something about this corrupt Wisconsin Government that is ruining deer hunting in Wisconsin to reduce car accidents, and is lying to the citizens about CWD and firing every DNR employee that trys to stand up and tell the truth.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:57 am

tutone84 wrote:I agree to a point, but I will say this. In my opinion, and I hate to say this but I think the DNR might actually know what they're doing. I say this because in the last few years I have never seen so many big Bucks being shot in my life, all over Wisconsin. And the only way to do this is to manage the does, and leave the smaller bucks go, the hunters are learning the the buck part and the DNR are doing the rest by giving away doe tags. Just my 2 cents.

Could this be because we are getting short on deer so more people have their tags all season instead of tagging out on a young buck opening morning so people are hunting harder and pushing areas that have never been pushed before resulting in some monsters getting shot?
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:02 am

I wasn’t pointing a finger at you Dan or anyone else on this forum. I also wasn’t talking about having to shoot a doe to earn a buck tag; I am with you, if I didn’t have to earn a buck tag I wouldn’t shoot a doe in the areas I hunt since the population is down. What I am talking about is some “hunters” shooting everything that walks by and complaining about the deer herd. If I had land and shot a lot of the deer one season and didn’t see much the next year would I blame the DNR or blame me for pulling the trigger so many times. ME, I would be the idiot that didn’t show restraint. That is what I meant when I said we are part in blame. Now we/hunters is a blanketing term and was used for the lack of a better word (I am a Pollock, I have a limited vocab) when I stated we are in part to blame… My whole reason for bringing the topic up was to voice my frustration about the guys who shoot a lot of deer and only put the blame on the DNR for the population decline, when they are to ignorant to take responsibility for their actions. I also agree the WDNR is corrupt, twisted, and business partners with the insurance companies. I experience it every conservation congress hearing when all the outdoorsman voice their concerns and nothing is done. Hopefully Walker can make the changes that he voiced and the WDNR will be able to get back on track.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:07 am

I hope we all ( on this forum ) can spend some time letting Walkers office know thru emails, letters, and phone calls that we the hunters voted him in to do something about the WDNR and particularly stop all the CWD killing.
I plan on starting in January when the hunting winds down....
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:54 am

I'm with you wiscbowhntr, yes the dnr is the ones giving out all the tags, but for god sakes they don't make you pull the trigger. The whole thing about people shooting 3-4 does in a season and saying " I'm just doing my part to manage the herd "is BS. We don't need to manage the herd for bigger bucks right now, just more deer. Shooting more does doesn't make the bucks any bigger, letting them live longer does. The city I live in has no hunting but has alot of marsh habitat and tons of deer. Nobody manages the deer herd and their are slobs running around all over the place. Plain and simple if you keep on shooting their will be nothing left.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:36 pm

Adrenalin, you are right. I think hunters fell into the muck the DNR was dishing out. Killing all the deer in the CWD area, yeah, the DNR gives out the tags, but it is the hunter that does the shooting. Does are restricted in the north due to the #'s being very low, and it is the does you need to reproduce, replenish the herd. Same for the CWD area, if all the does, or the last remaining doe in an area is shot, there will be no more. None to even hunt next year. So getting a buck tag becomes a moot point. Then hunters will be hurt as they are chasing the few remaining bucks, if they have a buck tag and we all know how sensible all gun hunters are. Tho this year, no hunters got shot. That is good to hear.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:42 pm

Deb, several hunters got shot... No one got killed.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:56 pm

Sad to hear. I thought I had read that there were no hunters being shot. My bad.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:26 pm

adrenalin wrote:I'm with you wiscbowhntr, yes the dnr is the ones giving out all the tags, but for god sakes they don't make you pull the trigger. The whole thing about people shooting 3-4 does in a season and saying " I'm just doing my part to manage the herd "is BS.

I have killed 3 does this year and will kill at least one more given the chance, I manage my property not only for mature bucks , but also for the total number of deer I feel the property can sustain. And we need to kill at least 8-10 does to keep the numbers in check.........I realize you are probably directing this to hunters that kill more than they should in areas where the numbers are low....But don't lump us all in the same catagory as I have been managing my own property for over 15 years and I have a pretty good handle on the numbers we can sustain.......

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”