Whats your take on UV Dan?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Re: Whats your take on UV Dan?

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:34 am

Dan, are you sure your not trying to make stalking bedded does a formal event? i would have chosen that over homecoming anytime:-)

When better is possible, good is never good enough
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:08 am

I think Dan snuck away from his son's wedding to arrow a doe. He must have been hunting up in Canada to find snow that time of year, when I figure out how he got up there and back without anyone knowing he was gone I will let you know.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:14 am

About 8 or 9 yeatrs ago I was driving home from work late season after a big snow storm and saw a bedded doe out in open CRP grass on the public land. I went home and put on a white sweat shirt and white thermal undies over my jeans and walked right up and shot it in its bed without and cover...
I think about that hunt every time I drive by, and that hunt gave me courage to try it on more hunts like the one that resulted in the doe pictured above.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:26 am

Cool story Dan. To be honest Cornfed I'd rather have camo that doesn't have the UV stuff In them. Specially In late season when the deer are so damn spooky.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:51 am

Schultzy wrote:To be honest Cornfed I'd rather have camo that doesn't have the UV stuff In them. Specially In late season when the deer are so damn spooky.

So you are saying that I shouldnt put the sheet over my suit? You think it will glow?

Is white fabric maybe not made with any UV brighteners to begin with, since its white??
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:54 am

cornfedkiller wrote:
So you are saying that I shouldnt put the sheet over my suit? You think it will glow?

Is white fabric maybe not made with any UV brighteners to begin with, since its white??

You would think, but actually white fabric almost always has UV brighteners in it, to keep it bright white.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:42 am

I'm not sure how much of an effect It has but If I had my choice between two camo's sitting side by side I'm taking the stuff that doesn't have the UV stuff. I started wearing Enigma Camo this year and It doesn't have the UV stuff In It. I've been saw less this year then any year I can remember. Is It the camo pattern? Could be. Is It the non UV? Could be. I have no Idea but It's been working awesome.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:35 pm

dan wrote:White dress shirts work well for stalking bedded does in the snow... And pretty sure Carol uses U/V brightening soap.
ImageImage

Holy crap Dan your arrows look like their 4 feet long. :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:21 pm

Holy crap Dan your arrows look like their 4 feet long.

I have ape arms :lol:
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:20 pm

adrenalin wrote:
dan wrote:White dress shirts work well for stalking bedded does in the snow... And pretty sure Carol uses U/V brightening soap.
ImageImage

Holy crap Dan your arrows look like their 4 feet long. :lol:

I noticed that too ,ape arms that,s funny .My sister always says the same thing.She claims her arms are way too long.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:56 am

Dan, two years ago I was upstairs in the house when my kids said, "dad there is a deer in the backyard". We watched the deer for a couple of minutes then I told the kids to go downstairs to watch tv for a bit. All I was wearing was some bluejeans. I ran downstairs into the garage and nocked one arrow. I snuck out behind my truck and looked out and she was at 25 yards. I move a bit closer but the only problem was I had left a step ladder out in the driveway as I had been working on something and it was directly in front of the shot. I aimed between the rungs of the ladder and shot the doe at about 15 yards. It all happened so fast that I wasn't even sure I had a dead doe on my hands...hahahaha.
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:17 pm

I don't think its known for sure that deer do see it but a lot of scientists believe they do. Its not too hard to cover up the outer clothing with the atsko spray one time and use the atsko detergent and its no more expensive than regular detergent. If its easy to do and inexpensive then might as well do it if it might help. And if your a turkey hunter I think its pretty much agreed that most birds including turkeys do see it so you have that to consider if your thinking about getting the stuff.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:59 am

PASwamper wrote:I don't think its known for sure that deer do see it but a lot of scientists believe they do. Its not too hard to cover up the outer clothing with the atsko spray one time and use the atsko detergent and its no more expensive than regular detergent. If its easy to do and inexpensive then might as well do it if it might help. And if your a turkey hunter I think its pretty much agreed that most birds including turkeys do see it so you have that to consider if your thinking about getting the stuff.

Yeah I already wash my clothes with the atsko detergent, and Ive seen the UV killer, but just didnt know if it was worth it..Didnt know if I was buying into another gimmick..Thats why I wanted the opinion of you guys..
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:58 am

I would just kill it and then not have to worry about it. Since you posted this your are thinking of it. If you spook a nice one you might start thinking you could have prevented it.

I vote to kill it. Besides, Dan prolly was never seen by that one he snuck up and shot. Sounds like you will be sitting in a tree.
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:06 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:Sounds like you will be sitting in a tree.

Correct..I think I'll kill it..Then like you said, I dont have to worry about it..

Thanks guys

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”