Pedestal Mount Ideas...PICS!

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Pedestal Mount Ideas...PICS!

Unread postby Dor » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:02 am

Post of pic of some pedestal mounts you consider pretty cool. I'm looking for some ideas. I will be doing one this year I think and am shopping ideas. Here is a cool one I found today.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Dor
500 Club

Re: Pedestal Mount Ideas...PICS!

Unread postby Dor » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:09 am

Forgot the pic :x :mrgreen:

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:54 am

I don't know if I really like the tree that the buck is mounted on. Maybe just me, but it looks like the the tree is stabbimg him in the neck. Just my .02
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:27 pm

Here's the only one I have.

The two in the back are called wall pedistals, where part of the shoulder hangs off the wall. And part of the other pedistal.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:53 pm

Nice Spysar. I like that one. Anybody else
?

Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:54 am

For floor/table pedestal mounts here are a few things that I like to see:

Darker colored bases are better than lighter colored bases. If the base is too light in color your eyes will be drawn away from the deer and toward the base. With a darker colored base your eyes are drawn more to the lighter colored deer and the base remains in the “background”.

I like more vertical presentations where the mount is more of an upright/semi-upright pose and the pedestal is not much wider than the deer and the pedestal is somewhat tall.

I don’t care for semi-sneak/full sneak poses on a vertical presentation as it will be unbalanced visually and the weight distribution of the overall piece can cause problems too.

I prefer pedestal bases with more rounded features since the features of deer are soft and curvey in general. There are no sharp corners on a deer anywhere including most antler tines.

I would not have sharp corners on the base if it is made of wood. IMO octagon bases look better than square bases b/c the octagon will give the piece a more “rounded” look (even thought there are some sharper looking corners) than a sharp-cornered square/rectangular base.

For a floor pedestal I like to have the eyes of the deer close to the eye height of an average person so that when you look at the mount there is some “connection” between your eyes and the eyes of the deer – assuming the deer is looking at you. If you go with a table pedestal or a shorter floor pedestal this can also be done so that when you are sitting in a chair or couch the eyes are at your eye level.

IMO simple is better and less habitat is more pleasing to look at and will also put more emphasis on the deer. Too much habitat can make the bottom of the mount appear cluttered.

If you go with a little habitat at the base of the mount keep in mind that it will get dusty and will need to be wiped off or vacuumed occasionally.

If you go with a larger base, it’s nice to have it like a cabinet so you can at least store stuff in there instead of it being wasted space.

If you haven’t picked a pose yet, remember that any standard wall mount manikin can be made into a floor/table pedestal with some square stock.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:56 am

Dor - Have you picked a pose yet? If not, what are you thinking about?
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:15 am

Heres one of my wall pedestals
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:21 am

Mountain Man wrote:Dor - Have you picked a pose yet? If not, what are you thinking about?

No I haven't yet. I dont know what to do yet, but as thinking something more upright. The deer I'm doing looks good straight on and upright as seen in the pic below.

Great advise above thanks!!

Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:23 am

Dor – I think mounting it in an upright pose looking straight at you would be good but I would not go with a manikin that is a straight. IMO straight manikins look awful. I would use a manikin that has a nice turn to it, either right or left, so you see the fullness of a shoulder and you can still display the mount so you see the rack straight on.

Check out these upright right turn pedestal mounts by World Champion whitetail taxidermist Tommy Hall. It looks like there are 3 or 4 on this page that are all on the same manikin (the two on the bottom are definitely that manikin). He sculpted this manikin and it is available thru Van Dykes (now owned by McKenzie). It only comes in one size (7 7/8” eye to nose, 24.5” behind the ears, and 26” ~3” below the ears and it is only available in a right turn). It’s a big manikin, but you have a big deer there, and it looks like it might fit your deer or if it doesn’t a few modifications might make it fit. I have not mounted on one of these manikins but I like the look of it.

http://www.tommystaxidermy.com/gameheads.htm
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:26 am

I think that buck will look awesome anyway you put it :shock: . Man thats a pig. My buddy has one mounted where the back is flat against the wall but the body is offset a little bit and it looks straight on. It really shows off deer with big shoulders.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:04 am

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:19 am

I registered just so I could see it. And it was worth it, thanks Nurse!
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:45 am

Guess I shoulda realized you would need to be reg. to see it. I will repost the pic for ease. Thanks for the heads up Spysar!!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:52 am

This one I assume. very nice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”