Deer processing.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Re: Deer processing.

Unread postby wibow » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:45 am

Have always done it myself and after a one time late season doe I had done,horrible experience and will never go down that road again. I like butchering as much as hunting and after doing it for so long you get pretty fast at it.

ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:39 am

I cut my own and find it very rewarding. I am not an expert but I can get one cut up in about 3 hours. The one thing I would really like is to have someone who really knows how teach me the proper and most efficient method of cutting. I cant stand paying someone to do something that I can do myself.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:52 am

My friends and I do 20-30 deer every year. You dont need much equipment. I have a #32 grinder from cabelas with the wheel attachment and I bought a 1hp motor from a farm store with a belt. It out performs any of the $500 models and I've got under $200 in it. It is now 18 years old and getting pretty worn out though. Other than that a jerky shooter and dehydrator. We save our Cabelas bucks and buy stuff. Summer sausage is actually really easy, we have the LEM bag system for packaging ground meat and just shoot it into the casings then bake for 8 hrs on 150. Summer sausage costs under $1 a lb to make yourself. We also mix up breakfast sausage, italian, and brats. Super easy but yes, it is a bit time consuming when you pile them up!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:06 am

Do all of my own butchering. I brought one In 10 or so years ago to a very well known butcher around here and what a joke on how they cut my steaks up. Never again! I take all of my trimmings to a different butcher and get whatever made.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:15 am

i grew up processing every deer we shot. but in recent years we have been taking more and more to stone ridge in wautoma. they run a nice operation
When better is possible, good is never good enough
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:57 pm

I do all my own butchering......don't have a grinder so I save trim and take it in when I want sausage or sticks......Black Earth Meats always does a good job with the trim.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:45 am

DIY for me. I still find skinning to be the most difficult.

For the novice jerky maker, use HiMountain and follow the directions.

I am making sausage today it is straight forward, but a bit of work. Again, I recommend HiMountain and follow the directions, its nice to have help with sausage.

I have my hands on a grinder from the 40s, takes two strong backs to move it. But I have never had more fun grinding. Did about 50-60lbs so far this year
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
rtprincess

Unread postby rtprincess » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:23 pm

We butcher all of our own everything. Deer, elk, bear, etc. We have our own meat grinder for hamburger, and we have a pretty old meat tendorizer (can't find anything like it) that we run all of our steaks thru, best thing ever! The only thing we don't do ourselves is sausage or hot dogs, and those are done by close friends, so we know we're getting our meat back!! I would never trust someone else to do it, I have a friend who worked at a local meat shop, and let's just say I will never take my business there!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”