Deer processing.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Deer processing.

Unread postby Dor » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:58 pm

Who processes there own. I do if I plan on consuming it. Would never take to a butcher. However, this year after taking an elk I have donated my deer to HUSH programs or friends. I plan on keeping the does/fawns from the DEC hunts for my freezer.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
DropTyne
500 Club

Re: Deer processing.

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:00 pm

Cut em' myself. I don't have the equipment to make sausage, I'm a steak man myself, but if I do take them in to get sausage made I wait until after the main rush so I'm somewhat reassured I get my own deer back.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:57 pm

We cut them up ourselves...not sure if we always do it right, but I guess there isn't a wrong way. You either have more steaks and roasts or more hamburger :) Eventually we would like to try making jerky and sausage.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:20 am

My family raises beef cattle, so I have plenty of steaks and roast. We also have a couple of outstanding sausage makers in the Green Bay area, so most of my deer get made into Hot sticks, bacon, sausage and brats. I also tried canning some meat this year, thanks to some post on here, It turned out great. My kids and wife love it!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:53 am

I grew up doing all my deer processing myself. It was a chore, and gross. Now, for what it costs I would rather take it in personally and get it processed by a good reputable place ( I go to Rivers Edge in Jefferson WI ) and use the extra time I would of been using to process deer to do more hunting.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:25 am

I enjoy butchering my own deer because I can cut and package exactly how I want it and I consider this to be another highlight of the hunt because it means I was succesful. I actually really look forward to it. I have never been one to shoot way too many deer in a season so it never feels like a chore. If I get two deer a season that is plenty for my wife and I to have plenty of venison for the year.
I recently purchased a new Cabela's 3/4 hp grinder so I am really looking forward to breaking it in but have been unsuccesful so far. Hopefully my luck changes soon. :)
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:45 am

I have the same grinder Dewey....you will really like it.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:34 am

I clean almost all our deer, really should be all. With the latest move to Greenville, hate to admidt but haven't butchered a deer there yet. 2 of the last 4 deer I brought in because of lack of time in Rhinelander and heading back to the valley.

The cost isn't that bad for a processor but we end up touching up every steak when un-thawing because it's just not cleaned to our standards.

We involve the whole family, wife and I cut, my 9 year old just started with a knife on some areas, and our daughter helps run the grinder for hamburger.

Years past when travelling full time I would take the deer with me and clean it where I was staying if it was cold enough. Ever clean a deer in hotel bathroom? Quite a sight having hind quarters un-thawing in the tub. :lol:
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:37 am

I've done plenty myself but lately it seems my help isn't there for me and I have another hunting trip planned so off to the butcher. I think I will buy a grinder and sausage stuffer to make up for my laziness in the processing dept. so far this year. Will that 3/4 hp cabala grinder stuff sausage as well or do you need to get a separate stuffer?
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:26 am

Sailers Meats in Elmwood WI. TOP notch ;)
James
ProStaff

Unread postby James » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:02 am

Arrowbender wrote:Will that 3/4 hp cabala grinder stuff sausage as well or do you need to get a separate stuffer?

I have the grinder and sausage attachments for my KitchenAid mixer and it works great. Perhaps a little slow going but it gets the job done for my family.

As for full processing myself, I have done a couple now, but I'd rather pay someone. It always seems to burn up a full non-work day that I could be hunting, and I always need every day I can get when hunting a couple states.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:00 am

My buddy Andy built a brand new home and a pole barn in which we reserved a corner for processing deer. We actually enjoy doing it on our own and we are hoping to build a home made walk in cooler by next season.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Cash 18

Unread postby Cash 18 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:52 pm

We do all of it ourselves, a lot of times friends get together and do it too. when you have a few guys it generally goes pretty quick. i dont mind it either.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:27 am

i always take mine to someone..id rather pay someone who does a good job that way i dont have to worry about it...i can just keep hunting
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:44 am

huntinfool14 wrote:i always take mine to someone..id rather pay someone who does a good job that way i dont have to worry about it...i can just keep hunting

I gotta say I'm a bit surprised that so many of you guys let lockers do your deer (seeing as this a DIY site). Not saying there is anything wrong with taking to a locker, just surprised is all.
I am so much more pleased with the stuff I do myself compared to cuts I have seen from the lockers. Its at most 2 hours hang to freezer. End result is 100% pure protein with zero fat hanging on the cuts. I will do a tutorial sometime if I think of it and post a Photobucket video or slide show of the process. If you have never done your own think you would be surprised how easy it is.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”