Does this bother anyone else?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
GRUD
500 Club

Re: Does this bother anyone else?

Unread postby GRUD » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:20 am

A couple friends and I usually just do some soft bumps during gun season. Typically just trying to shoot some does for meat and helping keep them off the roads. It can be really fun if you know the property and know the escape routes. I had a doe so close the other evening that I shot off the hip because I couldnt even get my gun up. Literally two steps away. Killed her and two minutes later had a 10pt come and stop in the same spot but I let him walk because I had no buck tag for gun and Indiana does not allow party hunting. It can be really fun getting this close, not just driving deer but having a guy walk upwind of the bedding area and allowing the deer to sneek away to the other hunters. Over the years we have only killed one good buck this way and it was shot by the driver anyway as he slowly walked through the bedding area, the buck tried to hide instead of run. So I don't knock deer drives but I have never done it with 10 guys or more, just usually three of us. I would also add that the drives would be less effective on the mature bucks if Wisconsin would do away with the party hunting rules because then only certain guys on the drive could legally take a buck.

Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:32 am

Doing deer drives is a blast, I used to do them every year. We would sit opening weekend, and then get together with friends and family and do drives the rest of the season. In our area ,with the amount of pressure there was, the deer went on lock down after opening weekend. Drives got them up and moving in the day light. Deer drives are harder to do now a days with all of the buying and selling of land and nobody allowing anyone on their property any more. I bet we used to drive 30+ different sections of woods. You couldn't even touch half that now.

Like Lung said, if you don't think it is hard work then you need to go out and do it. You can kill slobs with deer drives but not very often. They either find a way to sneek back through or they just don't even get up. A group could consistently kill bigger deer but that would take a lot of patience, planning and knowledge of the property to do so(scouting).

Our group always consisted of a number of young kids who through driving got to see lots of deer, stay warm, and have fun. They could hunt all day when it's 20 degrees. How many 10-14 year olds could sit in a stand all day at 20degrees for 9 days.

If you don't like it fine, but it is an effective method of hunting and not easy by any means. I don't see near as much of it today as I did 10 years ago either.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:01 am

Hilts wrote:Like Lung said, if you don't think it is hard work then you need to go out and do it.

I think the drives you are lung are referring to must be a little different than whats around me. I understand how they can be long and tough in some places, but the woodlots around me are only a couple hundred yards long by that wide..4 acres maybe (see pic below)..Walk through (which takes 5 mins), and if you dont walk past the deer, they have no chance because there is no "escape route" out into the open. Then you get in the pickup and drive to the next property and do it again..Trust me, I have a friend that wouldnt do it if it was alot of work..

If there are crops left in the field, the deer stand a decent chance since they can stay out of the open, and alot less deer get killed then, but years like this when all the crops are out, the deer get hammered.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:04 am

I can see how that would make a difference cornfed. We were pushing any where from a 20acre chunks to 300+ acre chunks of woods.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:08 am

Hilts wrote:I can see how that would make a difference cornfed. We were pushing any where from a 20acre chunks to 300+ acre chunks of woods.

Right..that makes a difference.

And I didnt mean for this thread to be an argument about whether or not doing drives is work or not, I was more looking for your opinion on how you guys feel about guys killing nice deer without doing any work. I was just curious if I was the only one that felt a little jealous when guys who havent done any homework do..whether thats by doing what guys around me do, or the guy that heads out to his stand that he has no idea why he put it there or anything, sits for 5 mins and a big one just happens to come by and he blasts it..
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:55 am

The weekend warrior gun hunters drive me nuts also. I have a big problem with these fools tresspassing. They get pissed that I don't do any drives on our 80 acres of all woods. I love just letting it load up with deer, over half of it is very heavy bedding/security cover. The part that really gets me is these guys drive the snot out of every little chunk they can. Then they whine that by the second day they never see any deer, friggin morons.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:23 pm

i can't say that it bothers me too much when i see someone get lucky and shoot a big deer. It has happened to me. There are plenty of big bucks out there, you just have to work really hard to find/pattern them. All i can say is that i am happy to have found the "beast" style of hunting, and i look forward to consistant success! whenever i see a guy who shoots a big deer mostly from luck, it makes me want to work that much harder to find one bigger, and hunt it using everything i learned from dan's video's and this forum!
When better is possible, good is never good enough
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:36 pm

Dont have a problem with it at all.Most of the propertyowners are probably farmers and this is most likely all the time they have to deer hunt.So if that what it takes for them to enjoy deer-hunting who am i to tell them not to.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:00 pm

Won't mention any names, but I will say I know a guy who could put a stand in the dumbest location with the worst winds and kills deer everywhere he sits. Then give me all kinds of grief about how I take it too serious, and that I try to hard. Never scouts, never studies, doesn't even wash his hunting clothes ever, and smokes in the tree...kills deer every place he sits. That frustrates me a little. To me this is no different. I love this sport and work really hard at it, some years I have success and some years I eat my tag. This guy never has that problem and puts in virtually no effort. The point is that I understand how frustrating guys getting nice deer and not working as hard as you can be. I finally realized that it didn't matter. What matters is that I enjoy the way I hunt. That my work and my actions make my success all the more fulfilling. That my knowledge and confidence increase everyday in the tree. That I can be pleased that my style of hunting gives me a clean and ethical conscience.
At the root of the problem I finally realized that I was envious of these people because I didn't have the success they had and worked way harder then they did. I had the attitude that I "deserved" a good buck for all of my efforts. The reality is that success or failure, everyday I get to do this is a gift from God because He is gracious and not because I earned it. When it became all about my being agitated then I knew I lost something fundamental, the love of the game, the highs and the lows, just enjoying being out there. I started questioning myself and my motives. Am I a hunter, or a killer? Well if it is only about the success of the kill, then I might as well quit because I could never respect myself.
Not saying you are like that just sharing some insight as to why I don't base my success on the success of those around me anymore. I found that I enjoy myself so much more, even when I have no success at all. So far this season I have yet to kill a deer. I am as hopeful as the next guy to get it done (tomorrow) but either way I am going to enjoy myself. :D

Have a great season everyone!
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:10 pm

Indianahunter wrote:Won't mention any names, but I will say I know a guy who could put a stand in the dumbest location with the worst winds and kills deer everywhere he sits. Then give me all kinds of grief about how I take it too serious, and that I try to hard. Never scouts, never studies, doesn't even wash his hunting clothes ever, and smokes in the tree...kills deer every place he sits. That frustrates me a little. To me this is no different. I love this sport and work really hard at it, some years I have success and some years I eat my tag. This guy never has that problem and puts in virtually no effort. The point is that I understand how frustrating guys getting nice deer and not working as hard as you can be. I finally realized that it didn't matter. What matters is that I enjoy the way I hunt. That my work and my actions make my success all the more fulfilling. That my knowledge and confidence increase everyday in the tree. That I can be pleased that my style of hunting gives me a clean and ethical conscience.
At the root of the problem I finally realized that I was envious of these people because I didn't have the success they had and worked way harder then they did. I had the attitude that I "deserved" a good buck for all of my efforts. The reality is that success or failure, everyday I get to do this is a gift from God because He is gracious and not because I earned it. When it became all about my being agitated then I knew I lost something fundamental, the love of the game, the highs and the lows, just enjoying being out there. I started questioning myself and my motives. Am I a hunter, or a killer? Well if it is only about the success of the kill, then I might as well quit because I could never respect myself.
Not saying you are like that just sharing some insight as to why I don't base my success on the success of those around me anymore. I found that I enjoy myself so much more, even when I have no success at all. So far this season I have yet to kill a deer. I am as hopeful as the next guy to get it done (tomorrow) but either way I am going to enjoy myself. :D

Have a great season everyone!

Well said!
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:18 pm

well said indiana
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:59 am

I hear ya Cornfed and pretty much agree with you. Around here LOTS of great bucks are shot on drives. No one knows how to hunt any other way around here. Many deer get wounded too and die. The guys around here have the mentality that If the deer didn't fall over after they shot they missed It. I honestly cringe when gun season starts here.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:26 pm

Schultzy wrote:I hear ya Cornfed and pretty much agree with you. Around here LOTS of great bucks are shot on drives. No one knows how to hunt any other way around here. Many deer get wounded too and die. The guys around here have the mentality that If the deer didn't fall over after they shot they missed It. I honestly cringe when gun season starts here.

Your right there Schultzy I,ve found at least a half dozen small bucks over the years ,that were left for dead.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”